Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 12:38 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times

Advertisements

I've been in a goldfish store that imported fancy fish from Japan. The fish arrived by air, in large plastic bags, sealed with tight rubber bands. Air was left at the top of the bag. Bags were inside a Styrofoam ice chest type of container.

The issue is oxygen in the water, so transportation has to be swift and there has to be air included inside the bag as well as plenty of water for the fish.

If the airline will allow you to bring the fish in the cabin as a carry-on pet, that might be the best, but you would have to check with TSA about regulations. I flew last year with a puppy and had to pay $160 for each leg of the trip in order to have the puppy in cabin. So you also need to ask about the charge to bring the fish inside the cabin with you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 11:16 AM

5 posts, read 11,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I've been in a goldfish store that imported fancy fish from Japan. The fish arrived by air, in large plastic bags, sealed with tight rubber bands. Air was left at the top of the bag. Bags were inside a Styrofoam ice chest type of container.

The issue is oxygen in the water, so transportation has to be swift and there has to be air included inside the bag as well as plenty of water for the fish.

If the airline will allow you to bring the fish in the cabin as a carry-on pet, that might be the best, but you would have to check with TSA about regulations. I flew last year with a puppy and had to pay $160 for each leg of the trip in order to have the puppy in cabin. So you also need to ask about the charge to bring the fish inside the cabin with you,
Thanks for the reply.

I do believe everything you say here.
It's like I almost need the petco people to do this for me as they have the bag and are able to fill it up with a significant amount of air.
I hope I don't have to pay $160 for each fish! LOL
That would be a big no no on my part.

I guess I should just straight get in touch with the TSA and get a real solid facts from them.

Thank you.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:52 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,405,367 times
Shipping fish is somewhat easy. They have brreathable bags and you can put a chemical in there that kind of sedates them. You dont feed the for a couple of days first to keep ammonia down. Youd have to overnight pet ship them though,.

I personally wouldnt do it, id try rehome them. While I have an attachment to my fish, they have none to us.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:39 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Plant Industry Division | Plant Quarantine – Application for Permits

Looks like at least a $20 'import' fee to bring them into the state. Not sure if you need to have filled out paperwork to go along with them or not, I didn't look very long.

Usually fish are shipped in plastic bags tied shut with rubber bands. I believe they are usually given a shot of oxygen before sealing the bag to get higher oxygen levels in the bag. Fish shops have some sort of air in a tank that is put in the bags before they're sealed. Probably be best to contact folks who ship fish and ask them for details.

There are a lot of koi in Hawaii as well as comets and black moors so should you be unable to bring those specific fish, you could get some of their matching cousins pretty easily. Koi live a long time, get really big and come to know their people, so once you get your tank set up in Hawaii perhaps you could several and have a pet that would last a lifetime perhaps.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,900 times
shipping pets from hawaii to mainland please visit SCA PET TRASPORT | SCApet.com - [url]https://www.scapet.com/information/hawaii-pet-moves/[/url]

Please call in Honolulu at 808-450-3181 or international pet bookings dial +1-844-PETS-FLY

T o learn more about:

bringing a dog to hawaii
moving to hawaii with a dog
hawaii dog quarantine
moving dogs to hawaii
traveling to hawaii with a dog
hawaii pet quarantine
flying pets from hawaii to mainland
moving pets to hawaii
moving to hawaii with pets
pet relocation hawaii
bringing pets to hawaii
shipping pets to hawaii
hawaii quarantine
hawaii animal quarantine
shipping pets from hawaii to mainland
relocating to hawaii with pets
hawaii quarantine information
hawaii pets
hawaii dog import
hawaii direct release checklist
how to move my dog to hawaii

SCA PET TRANSPORT
[url]https://www.scapet.com/[/url]

Old 08-15-2019, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,900 times
Please call in Honolulu at 808-450-3181 or international pet bookings dial +1-844-PETS-FLY
[URL="https://www.scapet.com/information/hawaii-pet-moves/"]flying pets from hawaii to mainland/[/URL]

Old 08-17-2019, 08:56 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,760 times
Personally I would give common fish, the tank, filter etc etc to someone and start anew when I move. That is what I did.

Nice to upgrade my tank size, tank stand, move from Fuval Fx4 to Fx6, change to different substrate and decor etc.

If you do fly with the ones you have I know . Maybe SureLife Bait Buddies Tablet will work on the flight.

Or one of those battery operated Marine Metal Bubble Box from Amazon will work if allowed by the airline

Old 01-25-2021, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 708 times
Default Whatever happened?

I’m attempting a move to Hawaii. When COVID happened, I took my job’s pet betta home. He’s living a luxurious 10 gallon life now and I consider myself an expert level betta caregiver. So, when my niece abandoned her betta, I adopted him too. Now I have two pet betta that I need to keep separated. I never even wanted fish but now they’re family. I’m wondering how your flight went. Did TSA or the airlines give you a hard time? What did you use to transport? I was thinking plastic water bottle but I’m not sure they’ll go through that little opening willingly. Also, I’d need separate containers bc betta are fighters. Did you have more than one container? How much tank water did you have in there? My fear is that I’ll have shipped all of my stuff including tanks and will show up to the airport only to be told they can’t come. I don’t know what I would do. Please tell me what happened. Aloha

Last edited by KatsBetta; 01-25-2021 at 11:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish