Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2017, 04:34 PM

5 posts, read 11,527 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.
This is my first post and thank you for viewing it.

My question to the people here is that I am thinking of moving to Hawaii and would like to take my goldfish with me.
It's going to travel from NJ to HI which definitely includes the transportation with an airplane.

I am wondering IF anyone has done a fish or goldfish transportation using an airplane.

I have:

2 common that's about 5 to 6 inches
2 Black Moore about 2.5 inches
2 Fantail about 2.5 inches

I do know that Hawaii has a strict live animal and agricultural restrictions.
Read up on most of them but I would like to get a real experience with the transporting part.

Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 10:13 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,010,807 times
the Hawaii dept of agriculture has a website that has all the info you need

Old 04-19-2017, 10:16 AM

23 posts, read 13,986 times
Now that's a big change. Take you're gold fish

Old 04-19-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the Hawaii dept of agriculture has a website that has all the info you need
Thank you for your response.
I do see that they have goldfish as an approved animal.
So my worries are not so much of being accepted.
I guess I didn't really specify that I was looking more of the transporting part.
My apologies.

It is more about how is any has brought the fish to the State of Hawaii.
Yes, most likely it is with them in the airplane.
I would love to know how they did it.

That now would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:57 AM

725 posts, read 3,013,757 times
I think you also have to check TSA policies, as well as the airline you are taking.

I've never transported fish by plane (I've done so on a cross-country move by car), but I think the requirements mandate that they need to be in a clear container. If I can offer a word of advice based on my driving experience... I put my fish in a rubbermaid container which worked for the most part. The only thing is that water ended up splashing around and onto the seat (even though I had towels). So in retrospect, I would suggest putting the fish in a smaller container, but then put that smaller container into another container to catch any water that may spill out. Your fish seem small enough that this may be achievable and you can keep them below your seat. I would not trust having to check them into cargo.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:54 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
As your pet store would be familiar with the shipping of fish you might want to ask them for some tips/advice/contacts as to how its done.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:56 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Seems a lot of time/effort and money to spend on few goldfish.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
I think you also have to check TSA policies, as well as the airline you are taking.

I've never transported fish by plane (I've done so on a cross-country move by car), but I think the requirements mandate that they need to be in a clear container. If I can offer a word of advice based on my driving experience... I put my fish in a rubbermaid container which worked for the most part. The only thing is that water ended up splashing around and onto the seat (even though I had towels). So in retrospect, I would suggest putting the fish in a smaller container, but then put that smaller container into another container to catch any water that may spill out. Your fish seem small enough that this may be achievable and you can keep them below your seat. I would not trust having to check them into cargo.
That's a great idea. Thanks for the heads up. I was just concerned that the water that they are going to be in might create some problems as TSA only allows certain volume of liquids that can be taken inside the cabin. I shall see and do some more research to get an idea about this. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As your pet store would be familiar with the shipping of fish you might want to ask them for some tips/advice/contacts as to how its done.
Shall do, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Seems a lot of time/effort and money to spend on few goldfish.
In all honesty, monetary value has nothing to do with this. It's probably like 25 cents each but the attachment that you get with your pets are a little different if you know what I mean. It grew with me for the last 3 years and always had it in the living room. It does sound stupid in reality but given life is a precious thing and we are family now. That's why I am asking these questions which may sound weird to others. LOL

Either way, thanks everyone for chiming in.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:05 PM

1,462 posts, read 971,912 times
This came up from TSA website. But I would also check with your airline as well.

Live fish must be transported in a clear, plastic, spill proof container. In this case, the container may be larger than 3.4 ounces. A Transportation Security Officer will visually inspect your live fish at the checkpoint.

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.

https://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_r...ch=live%20fish

Old 06-26-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
This came up from TSA website. But I would also check with your airline as well.

Live fish must be transported in a clear, plastic, spill proof container. In this case, the container may be larger than 3.4 ounces. A Transportation Security Officer will visually inspect your live fish at the checkpoint.

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.

https://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_r...ch=live%20fish
Yup, I have read that before and than you very much for adding the link as well.
I think it will be OK for me to take it over to Hawaii.
I have enough confidence with these replies as well as all the readings I have done online.

Thanks for responding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish