Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 04:00 AM

10 posts, read 31,848 times

Advertisements

It doesn't get any prettier in Arizona and in some cases the world.
Are their any affordable places to live in Sedona or suburbs?
If you don't know what Sedona is please do a google image search: Sedona, Arizona. You won't be sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 06:39 AM

3,609 posts, read 7,921,245 times
As far as I can tell Sedona doesn't have suburbs.

Prices are lower than they were. Whether they are realistic for you depends on your circumstances.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:00 AM

138 posts, read 387,945 times
Prices have dropped like crazy, both rental and purchase. The Village of Oak Creek (I think it's technically Big Park, but nobody calls it that) tends to be more reasonably priced. Cornville and Cottonwood are your next best bets for pricing although you can't really see the beauty of Sedona from them.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:10 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocco View Post
It doesn't get any prettier in Arizona and in some cases the world.

If you don't know what Sedona is please do a google image search: Sedona, Arizona. You won't be sorry.
Actually "pretty" does not BEGIN to describe Sedona. It is, in truth - like Bora Bora or Yosemite Valley - one of those "to die for" stunningly beautiful places that simply defy description and seem completely unreal.

Ken

Old 06-11-2010, 09:59 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Most everyone who works in Sedona lives in Cottonwood or Camp Verde. Prices are disproportunate compared to wages in the Sedona area. There are great views of the Red Rocks from Cottonwood at certain locations. Every day I have to pinch myself when I drive to Sedona from the shear beauty. It never gets old.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:38 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Most everyone who works in Sedona lives in Cottonwood or Camp Verde. Prices are disproportunate compared to wages in the Sedona area. There are great views of the Red Rocks from Cottonwood at certain locations. Every day I have to pinch myself when I drive to Sedona from the shear beauty. It never gets old.
Glad to see you post this and, of course, I agree 100%! It's only a 20 min., or so, drive and always nice.

If I didn't have the house...and trees...next door I could see all the way to Sedona. I CAN see some of the reddish rocks, of the cliffs, if not the actual Red Rocks. I think it's beautiful anyway. My brother lives on a slight hill in Verde Village and, from his upstairs balcony, he CAN see all the way to Sedona. The hiway looks like a tiny ribbon from up there.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:50 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,228,154 times
Depending on what you're looking for you can live relatively affordably in Sedona.

If you are over 55, you can buy (they do not allow rentals) in a wonderful mobile home park right in the center of town. It is walking distance to both of the main grocery stores, Walgreens, the movies, banks etc. It is well kept and many affluent people chose to live there simply because they like it. They have a pool and many activities for those who want to partake.

If you're not over 55, or don't like mobile home parks (this one really must be seen before passing judgement though), you could probably find a very small apartment to rent for $700 and for $850 a friend of mine has a decent sized 2 bedroom, 2 story apartment or patio home.

If you want to buy a stick built home, the prices are way down from what they were, but I would not call them cheap, but that depends solely on where you're coming from.

PS groceries and day to day items are more expensive here than in a big city, so factor that in. There is however a Super Walmart (not my favorite place) in Cottonwood 23 miles away.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:19 AM

172 posts, read 422,672 times
The red rocks are inspiring up to a point, although I've been to many places around the US and abroad that have as much (or more IMO) beauty and awe in their own way. If you've seen the cliffs and fjords in Norway (as one example) you understand. I lived in the Village of Oak Creek and I moved on. If you happen to be in that area after 5 pm try Elote for dinner, better than most mediocre to fair offerings in Sedona area. Personally I prefer the nearby Oak Creek Canyon area. Given the chance to live in Big Sur or Sedona I'd choose the former (and Big Sur is but one of many destinations that I prefer easily for many reasons I care not to go into here), but we know what they say about opinions. As lovely as the red rocks were (and touched with winter powder they are better yet), there are employment/cultural negatives to diminish Sedona as a top choice for home and lifestyle. Some nice hiking and mountain biking if you visit. Have a bite at Garland's if you get the opportunity. If "red" and "rocks" are your love don't pass up Bryce Canyon when visiting the southwest. Attached a few of my pictures from GC & Sedona. Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Sedona-south-rim-034.jpg   Sedona-grand_canyon-42.jpg   Sedona-sedona_5.jpg   Sedona-sedona_7.jpg  

Last edited by bongofury; 06-13-2010 at 10:42 AM..

Old 06-13-2010, 10:33 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,228,154 times
Hey Bongofury, I agree with you on the restuarant picks, and yes most others are mediocre around here .

You moved away???

Can you list some of your favorite living locations, I'm looking for a new place to live myself and always like to hear the ideas of others?

Old 07-21-2010, 11:12 AM

9 posts, read 23,326 times
One thing no one seems to consider is how you plan on making a living in Sedona. Yea the red rocks are pretty but, pretty doen't pay the bills! The average worker in sedona makes less than $20,000 per year. If you can find a place for $800 a month thats pretty good. That being said after taxes the average worker here has less than $400 a month for all other monthly bills. So you can talk about the beauty, the restraunts, and the great hiking all you want. Just remember the average worker here will never own a home, a new car, or be able to retire. So lets call sedona what it truly is: a retirement village and a playground for the wealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona