U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-23-2010, 04:43 PM

567 posts, read 525,586 times

Advertisements

I've heard so many different things, pro and con.
What's the scoop? Like I heard business pull in the sidewalks at 10:00 PM. etc, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 01:49 PM

7,535 posts, read 2,999,502 times
Everything you've heard about Sedona, good or bad, is true. Yes, the sidewalks are neatly rolled up and put away each evening at 10PM. Except Sunday's when they are put away at 8PM. Only people on the streets past 11PM are people getting out of the Harkins Movie theatre.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:22 PM

59 posts, read 107,677 times
Default re.

i thought of moving there and done some research on it and found that the rent is really high,price of living in general.definatly out of my income bracket,but i guess you have to pay for beautifull scenery

Old 06-25-2010, 08:35 PM

508 posts, read 867,157 times
and a lot of other foolishness

Old 06-26-2010, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 14,282 times
Anything you buy in Sedona you will pay tourist prices. It has to be one of the most expensive cities in the state. A lot people go to Cottonwood to do the shopping. It is very beautiful, especially if you enjoy hiking or outdoor activities. Income definitely does not keep up with the cost of living. Also there are a lot of new age people there because of the location. Also just about everyone who visits Arizona comes to Sedona. During the summer a simple trip across town that might normally take 10 minutes in winter can easily take 30 minutes.
Everyone else is right Sedona shuts down easily by 10 pm.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:06 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,065,559 times
Sedona ONCE WAS a nice place to visit and/or live. That was back in the 1980's and even early 90's. Since 1995 and beyond, the town went to cr*p.

Tourism, traffic, overbuilding and new age mania, have made the town unbearable. I can't even stand to visit it anymore. The last time I was there was 2007 and it took me 45 minutes to drive a stretch of road that usually would take 10 minutes. It has lost its appeal to me and many Arizona residents.

It was Arizona's "secret" back in the 80's. Now, it has been taken over by wealthy hypocrites and the true ambiance of Sedona is gone. Sure, maybe you can drive off-road into the middle of the Sedona mountains and experience what WAS Sedona but the town of Sedona still rears its ugly head at you. The word "traffic" was never even spoken of in Sedona back prior to 1995. Now, it is a daily spoken word. What a shame.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:37 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,312,921 times
That is too bad. We were there in 1989 and it was touristy but the traffic wasn't that bad. Have some great video of that chapel there around the red rocks with my young daughter. The new age stuff was present but not obnoxious.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:49 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,599,985 times
I liked it better in the past too but I live here and it has it's pros and cons. Traffic can get a little busy at certain times but when you live here you know when they are and mostly avoid them. When I lived in a big city that was impossible and it took me an hour to get almost anywhere.

You can live affordably if you want to, depending on how you want to live. Rent for apartments is not that bad anymore but groceries are still expensive (there's always Super Walmart in Cottonwood for cheaper items). I've known people to live in RVs in the area just so they could be here (it's the kind of place you are called to be, if that makes any sense).

The people who enjoy living here are those that love nature and spiritual pursuits and like being out on the land (hiking, biking, meditating etc.). They enjoy a relatively quiet lifestyle doing things like driving to a certain spot to watch the sun set, gazing at the start in the pitch black skies etc. For me, I love it for about 2 1/2 years (I've lived here twice) then I start getting antsy for more. It is very transient however most people who have lived here come back, it's that kind of place.

Jobs are not great and the pay is low, lucky for me I'm self employed. Most people who do well have a way to make a living without depending on the area for a job.

Nightlife here is relatively non existent (I know some will jump on me for that), if you're going out for dinner you'd better arrive before 8 or most likely you won't eat. Even our Starbucks closes at 6:30 pm (the last small town I was in the Starbucks closed at 11pm).

For a town of this size (13,000 with many part time residents) culturally there is a lot more going on than other places of comparable size but it does not equate to what you will get in a bigger city.

I hope that helps.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 10,726 times
I always go back and forth with how I feel about Sedona. Ive lived here for 8 years now and other than hiking in the unbearable heat or waiting till night to hike to avoid the heat or go to tiny bars or the movie theater theres not much else to do.
but the night hikes are really cool if you do it during the full moon.
the stars show up just about as bright as they can be and seeing shooting stars is a normal everynight thing. Every single night ill see at least one just from randomly glancing at the sky not even trying to see one. ive been to meteor showers in a few other states and i still see more on a normal night here.

there are definitly alot of very new agey people here for sure but thats part of what ive grown to love about sedona and i love how most of the people here arent afraid to be who they are.

Alot of the people are retirees tho cuz sedona is a tourist/retirement town. they just sorta finished the road construction here and there are roundabouts everywhere. roundabouts suck at first. then you get used to them and start to like them more than stoplights. until you go to the big ones right inbetween west sedona and uptown sedona. even tho people that live in sedona know how to use them, the tourists dont. and there are always new tourists. i cant tell you how many times ive almost gotten in an accident there just cuz the tourists have no idea what the hell theyre doing!

and the cops are crazy. there isnt much for them to do cuz its a small town so they drill you when they pull you over most of the time to get you to admit to anything youve done wrong even if you havnt and keep telling them you havnt. even if they are just pulling you over for a cracked winshield or something stupid like that.

and its a weird dry heat. usually in hot places that are dry you can go in the shade to get relief from the heat. not here. the air is hot as hell too. its like an oven in the summer and theres hardly ever any wind even tho that doesnt help either cuz of the hot air.

you get a monsoon every summer usually somewhere between june and august and it lasts for a month and a half or two and it rains everyafternoon, so hard that you cant see where your driving for like 2-15 minutes. but the last two years have been weird cuz last year it didnt happen and this year is only half-assed happened.

its great if you love going to drum circles too btw i just realized how many there are here

Old 09-13-2010, 09:44 PM

103 posts, read 217,707 times
How did I miss this one? All of the previous posters are correct. It took me awhile, after I had been around for a few years, to understand how anyone that did not go up into the red rocks every day like myself, could survive just "starin' at the red rocks".

Well, they all cheat! They're only around for about six months of each year. If more proof is needed just look at VRBO.com. You would think every house in the Sedona area is for rent.

Since no one I know shops in Sedona, everyone come on up and help out all the bankrupt businesses. They won't be around much longer. The Sedona Golf Resort among others, is going up for auction soon. I'm going to bid on the 18th hole!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona