Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:13 PM

15 posts, read 74,480 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I need advice on where to buy a second home in Sedona. Husband and I want to buy a second home in Sedona for the winter time. No, we are not old, and we refuse to be called Snowbirds! We want beautiful views and don't mind being isolated. We are very active and love to cook and entertain and go out to dinner. We have been in Sedona several times and love the atmosphere and the natural setting.

Where in Sedona should we look? I have ben researching and see that Cottonwood and Cornville are nearby and are less expensive, with bigger lots. But I wonder what the area is like there?

I have also noticed that West Sedona seems to be less expensive. The lots are larger as well. Is there a reason for that?

Any advice will be welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 03:15 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
Cottonwood and Cornville are nearby but quite different.

I am willing to discuss this further; I think I have sent you a message.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:51 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
West Sedona doesn't quite have the cachet of old Sedona, thus the lower prices.....but lots are bigger because there's a bit more land out there and it's easier to build on.....

one of John and Cindy McCain's places is in Cornville, I think....bigger ranch-type places over there, lower key people, less pretentious, but, again, if you can get past the not-being-in-old-Sedona thing, there are some great places there....but doesn't quite have the views, too!

you may want to look at nearby Village of Oak Creek, also....prices are up there, but not stratospheric....

you do know it snows a couple times or so per winter in Sedona, right?...but it melts quickly and is sunny often....there are warmer places in Arizona than Sedona, if that's important to you in the winter

Old 04-04-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
West Sedona doesn't quite have the cachet of old Sedona, thus the lower prices.....but lots are bigger because there's a bit more land out there and it's easier to build on.....

one of John and Cindy McCain's places is in Cornville, I think....bigger ranch-type places over there, lower key people, less pretentious, but, again, if you can get past the not-being-in-old-Sedona thing, there are some great places there....but doesn't quite have the views, too!

you may want to look at nearby Village of Oak Creek, also....prices are up there, but not stratospheric....

you do know it snows a couple times or so per winter in Sedona, right?...but it melts quickly and is sunny often....there are warmer places in Arizona than Sedona, if that's important to you in the winter

I was willing to go to Tucson for the warmer weather, but my husband informed me that it was too hot in the summer, and he wants to be able to use the house the rest of the year if he feels like it.

You know, Cottonville seems realy, really nice, and I saw some nice houses with 2-4 acres. About having to be IN Sedona: I don't mind being further away from Sedona if it means having more land and paying less. But what I also want is the Red Rock views. They are just so special. I have been told that the Red Rock views are far, far away in Cottonville. So, if that's the case, I am guessing I would not like that. But the mountainviews are very good there, aren't they? I guess I would have to see it for myself.

I will continue living in NYC for part of the year, so I don't really need or want to be in the city or a downtown area if you know what I mean. For us, it's a treat to be further from town, rather than closer.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:20 PM

370 posts, read 1,564,500 times
Cottonwood or Cornville? The Village of Oak Creek is a good suggestion, it gives you some red rock views.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:45 PM

Okay, I will ask the broker to search in Oak Creek. If I recall, that village shows up as "Sedona" in real estate searches.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:03 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,227,007 times
There is a difference between the 'Village of Oak Creek' and 'Oak Creek', you want the broker to search for the 'Village of Oak Creek'. It's confusing, I know!

Old 04-06-2011, 07:41 AM

Default Oak Creek versus Village of Oak Creek

Thanks! I will let him know.

By the way, which neighborhood offers the best up close Red Rock views?

And I thought that Sedona had a downtown area with homes? I haven't seen downtown homes advertised.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:47 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
Sedona has never really had a "downtown", sorta....I think of it as, simply, the old, original part of Sedona and that's the few blocks in the area around the "Y" - the intersection of 89 and 179...this is the busy, touristy area of shopping and the views are fine there, but few houses since most want to be away from the hustle and have some space....stay on high ground within a mile or two of the Y and you'll have views of one kind or another....West Sedona seems like high ground to me, too, but the views will be more in one direction....Village of Oak Creek is very nice, too, and has good, close views.....area around the Chapel of the Holy Cross is great, too...

but you get what you pay for!!

Old 04-07-2011, 07:36 PM

8 posts, read 23,831 times
The "downtown" area you are talking about is know as "Uptown" to most of the locals. You will pay big money for a nice place near uptown. I think homes in West Sedona are a really great bang for the buck right now. Be careful if there is an empty lot next to your new home though. I have seen many homes with a great view have a new home pop up on the empty lot and completely block their views. Also beware of the many "manufactured homes". While some can look quite appealing they are nothing more than double or triple wide trailers being pawned off as houses.

My wife and I have a 2nd home in West Sedona. Recently I have seen a few homes in the Chimney Rock and Thunder Mountain area listed at very good prices with great views. As others have said-The Village of Oak Creek has some really nice views and can be a bit cheaper than Sedona or West Sedona. I was looking at a few homes for sale in the Jack's Canyon area of VOC and I loved the views and prices of the homes. There seemed to be more than a few horse ranches there as well. Look into this for sure!

IMHO-West Sedona is where you will get the best sunset views for the most part (I think-please don't flame me if you get great sunsets views), I wouldn't buy a home that that didn't have a good view of the sunsets. Red rock views are pretty non-existent in Cottonwood and Cornville I think but you have some awesome mountain views there. I find myself driving to Cottonwood constantly though as Sedona is limited on shopping options.

One thing is for sure. If you have cash you are king and can make a great deal on a home. Don't be afraid to lowball, they can only say no or counter. There is still a lot of Bank owned homes available and according to my sources everything over 400K is just sitting and the owners are entertaining any offer.

Last edited by der_Geist; 04-07-2011 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: Adding info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona