Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 04:12 PM

246 posts, read 629,335 times

Advertisements

Then where do the working people live?
Your hotel maids, waiters, car mechanics, just your average joe can't afford to live there, if everything is accurate on what I read about Sedona and what people are telling me - how 20 years ago it was a wonderful place, now it is full of mansions, very expensive to visit, and they even charge to walk the walking trails now. So where do the average citizens live then? Flagstaff?
Reading Flagstaff's classified section they aren't much better for housing and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 05:14 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Cottonwood, about 30 minutes from Sedona. Much has been written about it on this site. A very small town, population 12,000, with a very low average income. Some love it and some hate it. I've ridden through it on my motorcycle and ate at a nice BBQ place there. Only weird part was the guy wearing a gun on his hip at the next table. Sure, it's legal and all that, but you rarely see somebody open-carrying in most places. Still, I'd probably be happy there. It's a gorgeous area.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:21 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,697,014 times
Sedona is expensive and certainly not out type of town at all.
Kdog, you think it's strange to see a gun open carry? Lots of that around the state and even more concealed now that the permits are no longer required within the state of course.
Just a question, most places like you mentioned service alcohol, did that place? If so he should not have had the gun.
I have been to and stayed in Sedona a number of times and most of the people there just are not our type. I don't know what it is.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:26 PM

Gotcha - thanks. If I read correctly Sedona is full of artsy type people, and the town caters to tourists. Any other industry there? I know, easy to research just thought I'd ask. If they're exclusively tourism based, then I'd say they're hurting in these economic times. Not much so to lower prices though. Anyway thanks for the replies.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:32 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Ken, I've never seen a person in a restaurant carrying open before. I once saw a guy stopped at a gas station wearing one, but that's about it. I sometimes open carry in the desert, but I put it away when I'm in public. Can't recall whether this particular restaurant served alcohol or not. It's the only BBQ place on the main drag though town, so I'm sure most people know it.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:43 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Cottonwood, about 30 minutes from Sedona. Much has been written about it on this site. A very small town, population 12,000, with a very low average income. Some love it and some hate it. I've ridden through it on my motorcycle and ate at a nice BBQ place there. Only weird part was the guy wearing a gun on his hip at the next table. Sure, it's legal and all that, but you rarely see somebody open-carrying in most places. Still, I'd probably be happy there. It's a gorgeous area.
A lot of Sedona workers drive from Camp Verde and Lake Montezuma too.

For AZ being an "open carry" state I never see anyone with a gun on their hip. Working at Wal Mart, where I see half the people who live in the Verde Valley, you'd think there would be one now and then but, nope.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcol View Post
Gotcha - thanks. If I read correctly Sedona is full of artsy type people, and the town caters to tourists. Any other industry there? I know, easy to research just thought I'd ask. If they're exclusively tourism based, then I'd say they're hurting in these economic times. Not much so to lower prices though. Anyway thanks for the replies.
I don't think they are hurting much. Not based on what I saw when I drove through there yesterday! I drove up to Flagstaff for the day and decided to go through Sedona and up Oak Creek Canyon. YIKES! I had forgotten that 1) it's summer vacation and 2) it was a Saturday. Town was PACKED with people and all the way up the Canyon both sides of the highway were lined with vehicles. Any place there was a pull off wide enough, there were vehicles parked, bumper to bumper. Slide Rock area was crazy and all the campgrounds were full up. I was sooo glad to finally get to the top of the Canyon and headed to Flagstaff but even up there the traffic was heavy. I came back home via I-17!

I think Sedona is more "ordinary" people than "artsy" ones, although it does have it's share. The hospitality industry IS big there and as long as the tourists keep coming it will likely remain so. It is definitely a beautiful place and attracts millions of people every year.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Ken, I've never seen a person in a restaurant carrying open before. I once saw a guy stopped at a gas station wearing one, but that's about it. I sometimes open carry in the desert, but I put it away when I'm in public. Can't recall whether this particular restaurant served alcohol or not. It's the only BBQ place on the main drag though town, so I'm sure most people know it.
I know the BBQ place you're talking about and, yes, it IS good! I don't know if the same people...from New York...still own it but when I worked at the train they used to bring us BBQ now and then and lattes. I don't think they serve alcohol but I never really paid that much attention, since I don't drink.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:56 PM

I have devoured so much information from this forum, from friends who have been there, from strangers who live there, and from the internet these past few days that I can't keep it all straight. It is a common thought from people that Sedona is full of artists. Also a common thought that it is a little version of Aspen, Colorado.

As far as open carry, that wouldn't bother me. I'd be more concerned about the guy packing with no permit. NM I believe has the same type of law, allowing open carry except in a bar or bank. Lived there for 14 years and can't recall anyone wearing a gun on their hip...other than police.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:02 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,697,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
A lot of Sedona workers drive from Camp Verde and Lake Montezuma too.

For AZ being an "open carry" state I never see anyone with a gun on their hip. Working at Wal Mart, where I see half the people who live in the Verde Valley, you'd think there would be one now and then but, nope.

I worked at WM in Sierra Vista for something to do until the wife retired. I saw lot of open carry during that period there.
WM policy was to say nothing about it We even had a guy pull a gun from concealment on a guy who pulled in knife on him in the store over something. The guy left in a hurry.
Nothing was done about it. The cops were called but all they did was verify that he has a CCW, take a statement and that was it.
I didn't see as much open carry up here in Prescott as I did in Sierra Vista, but I do see it here too.
When the new law took effect requiring no permits for CCW within the state I suspect a lot of open carry people that did not want to get a permit went CCW legally then without the permit.
By the way, I was told by my wife's relatives (all AZ natives from way back) that some of the hippie and artsy types from CA in the late 60s and early 70s was what moved into and changed Sedona from whatever it was prior to that.
I have no idea if that's true or not.
I did find it interesting that it is one of few towns that does not have a Wal Mart. They were above that in Sedona I guess. They just drive some 20 miles to Cottonwood I am told to WM
McCain lives there, and that's enough to keep me away from Sedona alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona