U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-28-2012, 07:36 PM

104 posts, read 88,951 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
Very soon I'll be starting my new job in the Grand canyon and they are providing housing for me in Valle and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about Valle or if there's anything to know about Valle? From what I've seen and what I understand it's almost not a town at all. I'll be moving there from Los Angeles and while my job (Exec Chef) will keep me busy a lot of the time, I'm seriously wondering what I'm going to do with myself on my days off?? Go into Flagstaff or Sedona? I'm used to living in LA with anything you might want a very short distance away and entertainment is everywhere.
Does anyone live in Valle or Williams and if so what do you do on your off time?
This move will be taking place next week and I'm excited and hesitant at the same time!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 12:39 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,541,769 times
There is a restaurant, a couple hotels and a couple souvenir shops in Valle. That is about it. You are 30 miles from both Williams and Grand Canyon Village. A lot of the acres nearby is raw land and many just park their RV's for sporadic visits on their land. It's a water hauling area and that will prevent it from heavy development. Williams along the Rte 66 strip has some cool restaurants and maintained its "Wild West" vibe as well. I personally like Williams. Everything in Tusayan /Grand Canyon Village is built on GC tourists with fast food restaurants and hotels.

If you are into nature and hiking, a great place with 4 season climate. Nighttime temps get cold even in the summer with 40's being common. Highs rarely exceed 90 in the summer. Winters get less snow than Flagstaff but still a healthy dose. You will get quite a few 6-12 inch storms this winter. Guaranteed. The Pacific Coast storms in the winter dump all the snow on the plateau Valle is on due to uplifting.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:02 AM

Hey thanks for the detailed info magnum I really appreciate it! It definitely sounds quite desolate where I'll be living in Valle, it is just slightly off the main highway going into Tusayan. On the plus side my employer has set me up in a three bedroom two bath house which would cost a small fortune here in LA! I have heard about the having to haul your own water but I assume there must be a company that can deliver it to you also?
I do like hiking and nature so I'm definitely looking forward to that and Sedona isn't to far away and I really love hiking in/ around Sedona. I welcome the cooler nights as its been quite hot here in LA lately even at night.
I came to LA from Salt lake city, Utah and to Utah from Colorado so Im definitely used to having four seasons and is something I've missed since living in LA... thunder and lightning storms as well... we don't really get those here.
I figure on days off Flagstaff & Sedona would be destination spots to spend the day tooling around in and Flagstaff for sure for shopping & household needs etc...
I'm excited to be going to AZ but as I said before, also a little hesitant because Ive really gotten used to the LA scene in my five years being here... the stupid people are a bit tough to deal with sometimes but the weather and convenience of everything nearby can be quite nice... that is if your destinations dont require freeway travel... then things get frustrating quick!

Old 07-29-2012, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robou View Post
Hey thanks for the detailed info magnum I really appreciate it! It definitely sounds quite desolate where I'll be living in Valle, it is just slightly off the main highway going into Tusayan. On the plus side my employer has set me up in a three bedroom two bath house which would cost a small fortune here in LA! I have heard about the having to haul your own water but I assume there must be a company that can deliver it to you also?
I do like hiking and nature so I'm definitely looking forward to that and Sedona isn't to far away and I really love hiking in/ around Sedona. I welcome the cooler nights as its been quite hot here in LA lately even at night.
I came to LA from Salt lake city, Utah and to Utah from Colorado so Im definitely used to having four seasons and is something I've missed since living in LA... thunder and lightning storms as well... we don't really get those here.
I figure on days off Flagstaff & Sedona would be destination spots to spend the day tooling around in and Flagstaff for sure for shopping & household needs etc...
I'm excited to be going to AZ but as I said before, also a little hesitant because Ive really gotten used to the LA scene in my five years being here... the stupid people are a bit tough to deal with sometimes but the weather and convenience of everything nearby can be quite nice... that is if your destinations dont require freeway travel... then things get frustrating quick!
I live in Tempe but have made sporadic trips to the GC since 1988 and the area around Tusayan has evolved with shopping needs. However, main purchases will be over an hour away in Flagstaff.

DO NOT even think of taking Rte 180 when the snow flies especially when you go to Flag. May be less mileage but it's a rugged and twisty road that gets to 8500 feet above sea level. Beautiful drive this time of year as the SF Peaks are majestic and Rte 180 has the best views of those mountains. Best way to Flag is go down to Williams and head east on I 40. You sound like you've adapted to just about all areas of the SW and you should do fine.

Hauling water. Many threads on that. Much cheaper with a pickup truck and you pump the water yourself. However, many also call in the water truck at a higher rate per gallon. Check out threads on Ash Fork,Az and hauling water to give you an idea. Best of luck !

Last edited by magnum0417; 07-29-2012 at 03:48 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 07-29-2012, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
I live in Tempe but have made sporadic trips to the GC since 1988 and the area around Tusayan has evolved with shopping needs. However, main purchases will be over an hour away in Flagstaff.

DO NOT even think of taking Rte 180 when the snow flies especially when you go to Flag. May be less mileage but it's a rugged and twisty road that gets to 8500 feet above sea level. Beautiful drive this time of year as the SF Peaks are majestic and Rte 180 has the best views of those mountains. Best way to Flag is go down to Williams and head east on I 40. You sound like you've adapted to just about all areas of the SW and you should do fine. Best of luck !
Looks like your a late night guy like me!...lol
Thanks much for all of your info & advice, it is much appreciated.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Looks like your a late night guy like me!...lol
Thanks much for all of your info & advice, it is much appreciated.
I am normally up at 4:30AM but weekends are different.LOL. Everyone up that way keeps a firearm handy as well given the remoteness of the open land there. A lot of people aren't wired to handle Valle's remoteness and that is a good thing for you. Raw acreage is dirt cheap (less than $1000/acre). If GC continues to commercialize, you may make a few bucks down the road if you choose to invest in it.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
I am normally up at 4:30AM but weekends are different.LOL. Everyone up that way keeps a firearm handy as well given the remoteness of the open land there. A lot of people aren't wired to handle Valle's remoteness and that is a good thing for you. Raw acreage is dirt cheap (less than $1000/acre). If GC continues to commercialize, you may make a few bucks down the road if you choose to invest in it.
Up at 4:30am?... that is certainly an early morning and I thought 6am was early!
You just brought up an issue that I was wondering about in Valle though, that of wanting/needing a firearm... the house where I'll be living is about a 1/4 mile off the freeway where the 64 & 180 meet so I'm not isolated or out in the sticks but still, compared to where & how I currently live here in LA I might as well be out in the middle of nowhere. How is the crime in this area? Is this a high risk area to be in? I didn't really find much online about crime in the Valle / Williams / GC areas.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:08 AM

3,488 posts, read 5,099,228 times
Quote:
How is the crime in this area? Is this a high risk area to be in? I didn't really find much online about crime in the Valle / Williams / GC areas.

Fred and Barney at the nearby Bedrock Village PD can take good care of security for you....

best of luck with the new job....you'll see lots of tourists heading to and fro thru Valle....yes, it is very desolate, but not remote, actually....as suggested, do drive thru Williams to go to Flag, despite the looks of things on the map....many love the wide-open spaces in the area...

Old 07-29-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
Fred and Barney at the nearby Bedrock Village PD can take good care of security for you....

best of luck with the new job....you'll see lots of tourists heading to and fro thru Valle....yes, it is very desolate, but not remote, actually....as suggested, do drive thru Williams to go to Flag, despite the looks of things on the map....many love the wide-open spaces in the area...
Thanks azdr! I'm sure I'll get used to it in time... I do want to go to Williams based on everything I've heard about it.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Up at 4:30am?... that is certainly an early morning and I thought 6am was early!
You just brought up an issue that I was wondering about in Valle though, that of wanting/needing a firearm... the house where I'll be living is about a 1/4 mile off the freeway where the 64 & 180 meet so I'm not isolated or out in the sticks but still, compared to where & how I currently live here in LA I might as well be out in the middle of nowhere. How is the crime in this area? Is this a high risk area to be in? I didn't really find much online about crime in the Valle / Williams / GC areas.
If you are a non-felon, owning a handgun is no problem in AZ. I'd personally recommend one up that way. However, I wouldn't call it a necessity if you use common sense. The people in harms way are those who need GPS to "MAYBE" find their acre. Those people risk going on other land and may be subject to being shot at. You are safe IMO based on being 1/4 mile from civilization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona