Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 08:50 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
I echo the sentiments of other posters that Flagstaff's cost of living does not justify the job opportunities. There is no middle class in Flag. You are a have or have not. Those who do well are Government workers, NAU Faculty, Self Employed in a unique skill set or just someone with old money who moved there. Everyone else has to scrap to find a $12/hr service job and either live in a rundown apartment or trailer in Flag or commute from places such as Cottonwood or Winslow that have affordable housing options.Put it to you this way, a 650 sq foot condo costs well over 100K not including HOA's in Flag !!!!

I am a fan of ABQ and am surprised to hear you'd take a chance on Flag. As you know, Santa Fe is almost identical to Flag with similar elevation, greenery,population,liberal havens,etc.

Sounds like you have a great thing going in ABQ. If you want Flag type weather, live in East Mountain and drive 30 miles through Tijeras Canyon to work in ABQ as you know. Or better yet, live the Tramway corridor at 6000 ft on the East end of town where you get far more variety in weather than Old Town at 5000 feet.
I'm not going to invalidate what you're saying and I appreciate your feedback but I've read through these threads, I'm not too concerned about COL, jobs, etc. They sing a similar tune in Durango and Santa Fe threads and I've lived in Seattle and Massachusetts where the COL is absolutely astronomical but my partner and I make it work so I won't let it discourage me.

We really do like New Mexico, but we just happen to like the idea of living Arizona a whole lot more. I'd rather be closer to places like the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Phoenix, Tucson, Vegas, Southern Utah National Parks, and California, and also NM is in the other direction if we ever feel like coming back to visit. In the grand scheme of things it just seems like quite a bit more to offer for my partner and I.

After exploring around a bit I just like the vibes, feel, and scenery around Flagstaff. It's a nice sized city with just enough amenities for everyday living, with Phoenix just down the road to pick up the slack (or a break in the weather) for anything else. Moving there is not something I'd rush into as I'll definitely plan it carefully and I'll be back for more visits for sure. It seems to be a manageable transition from ABQ. I'm a fairly intuitive guy and I just feel a connection to Flagstaff and I think it would be worthwhile for to explore possibilities of settling there though I haven't ruled out Santa Fe entirely either.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 08-14-2013 at 08:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 09:00 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,431,979 times
Right at mm 230 on I 40.

June 30 2013, it was about 9 or 10 am, and obviously it was melting fast.

And years ago I worked for Albertson, and ALB was really cold, at night when delivering to the stores.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:01 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,998,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I'm not going to invalidate what you're saying and I appreciate your feedback but I've read through these threads, I'm not too concerned about COL, jobs, etc. They sing a similar tune in Durango and Santa Fe threads and I've lived in Seattle and Massachusetts where the COL is absolutely astronomical but my partner and I make it work so I won't let it discourage me.

We really do like New Mexico, but we just happen to like the idea of living Arizona a whole lot more. I'd rather be closer to places like the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Phoenix, Tucson, Vegas, Southern Utah National Parks, and California, and also NM is in the other direction if we ever feel like coming back to visit. In the grand scheme of things it just seems like quite a bit more to offer for my partner and I.

After exploring around a bit I just like the vibes, feel, and scenery around Flagstaff. It's a nice sized city with just enough amenities for everyday living, with Phoenix just down the road to pick up the slack (or a break in the weather) for anything else. Moving there is not something I'd rush into and I'll definitely plan it carefully and I'll be back for more visits for sure. It seems to be a manageable transition from ABQ. I'm a fairly intuitive guy and I just feel a connection to Flagstaff and I think it would be worthwhile for to explore possibilities of settling there.
I'm sure you guys will be fine. You can make it anywhere as long as you're determined enough. If you're going to wing it, I would strongly suggest an early summer move. It is MUCH easier to find a job in Flagstaff during the summer when the majority of the students are gone. (That is unless you're looking to work for Gore or the Hospital, that's a little more predictable.) Also, you need to look for housing as soon as you feel comfortable making a definite decision. Many of the apartment complexes around town have pretty lengthy wait lists, and finding a rental close to the beginning of the school year will have you paying an even bigger premium.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:04 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
I'm sure you guys will be fine. You can make it anywhere as long as you're determined enough. If you're going to wing it, I would strongly suggest an early summer move. It is MUCH easier to find a job in Flagstaff during the summer when the majority of the students are gone. (That is unless you're looking to work for Gore or the Hospital, that's a little more predictable.) Also, you need to look for housing as soon as you feel comfortable making a definite decision. Many of the apartment complexes around town have pretty lengthy wait lists, and finding a rental close to the beginning of the school year will have you paying an even bigger premium.
Those are great tips, thanks for the advice. Seems there are some hurdles to clear and I'll definitely consideration to and do some careful planning.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:04 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,431,979 times
As for Caphillsea, if you want live in Flag, go for it. Only you know what you love. And all you need is only one job. Hopefully.....

Old 08-14-2013, 09:46 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,716,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Right at mm 230 on I 40.

June 30 2013, it was about 9 or 10 am, and obviously it was melting fast.

And years ago I worked for Albertson, and ALB was really cold, at night when delivering to the stores.
That looks a lot like Clines Corners Santa Rosa corridor. I believe Santa Rosa got hit with a foot of hail earlier this summer and maybe that's what you drove through.

Massive storm dumps nearly 2 feet of hail in New Mexico | Weather Blog | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

Old 08-14-2013, 09:50 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,716,074 times
As for the OP. Sounds very educated and hope the best. If you find a good gig in Flag without connections, all the power to you !

Old 08-14-2013, 09:56 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Quote:
ABQ is easily 10 degrees warmer than Flag in areas below 5500 feet year around. Even the Tramway area at 6000 feet gets far less snow and has temps usually 5 degrees warmer. Flag is very comparable to Gallup weather. Highs in the 40's and lows in the teens during the winter. ABQ for the most part is 50's and lows in the 20s and 30s during the winter.80 miles east of ABQ had snow in June ? Where is that ? Clines Corners? The Rockys near Santa Fe ?
Yep, and in the summer temperatures typically average in the low 90s in Albuquerque, and can occasionally top 100 once or twice a year.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:48 AM

173 posts, read 404,253 times
Quote:
There is no middle class in Flag. You are a have or have not.
I agree with you, except that you're missing Flagstaff's tiny middle class. So small that you can barely notice it.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:09 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,084,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokuku View Post
I agree with you, except that you're missing Flagstaff's tiny middle class. So small that you can barely notice it.

I used to have the address for the middle class in Flag, but I hear it moved to smaller digs. The house is in foreclosure. Or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona