Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 08:27 PM

537 posts, read 739,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Like AZtrails says, driving up 89A is not much of a scenic experience for the driver, especially if driving safely enough to avoid parked cars, people walking near parked cars, people walking elsewhere, and- perhaps most nerve-wracking of all- bicycles.
I beg to differ. I drive that route dozens of times a year and, even as the driver, I find the drive incredible. I don't make a nuisance of myself, like so many of the first-time tourists, but there are so many sights along the way that just jump out at me. Like the majestic red rock canyons near Slide Rock, the amazing rock formations just a few miles before arriving in "uptown" Sedona, the soaring limestone walls just prior to the winding switchbacks heading back to Flagstaff, the shaded creekside views along the lower stretches heading into Sedona, etc.

I don't get where the driver is not enjoying the experience unless you are focused on the rear bumper of the car in front of you. Oh, and I always drive the speed limit or a bit faster. That's me behind you.

In the last ten years I have never had to dodge a bicyclist either. The idiots walking along the shoulder near Slide Rock are just a minor annoyance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 02:41 AM

122 posts, read 272,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Cat View Post
I beg to differ. I drive that route dozens of times a year and, even as the driver, I find the drive incredible. I don't make a nuisance of myself, like so many of the first-time tourists, but there are so many sights along the way that just jump out at me. Like the majestic red rock canyons near Slide Rock, the amazing rock formations just a few miles before arriving in "uptown" Sedona, the soaring limestone walls just prior to the winding switchbacks heading back to Flagstaff, the shaded creekside views along the lower stretches heading into Sedona, etc.

I don't get where the driver is not enjoying the experience unless you are focused on the rear bumper of the car in front of you. Oh, and I always drive the speed limit or a bit faster. That's me behind you.

In the last ten years I have never had to dodge a bicyclist either. The idiots walking along the shoulder near Slide Rock are just a minor annoyance.
I was referring to the switchbacks. There's plenty for the driver to see while driving below them, although the view is even better when a passenger. The very best views are when you've parked the car and are hiking one of the area's beautiful trails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona