Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 05:31 PM

96 posts, read 234,707 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We live in Tucson and will begin frequent travel to the Flagstaff area on Monday's or Tuesday's at least two to three times per month within the next week. Phoenix is a nightmare to travel through. Are there any secret routes we can take to avoid Phoenix traffic, yet, still arrive in the Flagstaff area early (we will be leaving around 6 a.m. the days we travel there). My thought is, if we get stuck in a traffic jam, we might as well turn around and go home. Yes, we hope to eventually move to the area (hence the reason for our trips, to look for work, towns around the area that are affordable-Flagstaff is pretty expensive, etc). However, until that happens, it looks like there will be quite a few road trips involved. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 06:52 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
I've lived in Arizona for nearly 40 years and there are no secret routes around Phx to get to Flag from Tucson.....only two-lane roads that look tantalizing on a map and end up being no help at all.....

if you definitely will be leaving Tucson at 6am on weekdays, then, yes, you will encounter heavy traffic in the Phx area in certain spots....

you indicate that you still want to get to Flag "early".....you'll need to leave Tucson by 4am to avoid Phx traffic....

other options include things like I-8 to AZ 85 north to I-10 east to 303 around the NW side of the valley....or AZ 87 from the east valley through Payson to the Lake Mary Rd to Flag.....all these options and any others will not save you any time spent sitting in 30-60 minutes of traffic right in Phx.....almost all the "loop" and other highways in Phx (101, 202, 51) are busy in spots at rush hour.....

can you leave an hour or two earlier?....

or just buckle down and soldier your way thru rush hour for 45 minutes or so?

one plus is, if you have two or more people in the car, you can use the carpool lanes (also very busy!!)

Old 01-19-2015, 07:03 PM

Thanks so much! Yes, I totally forgot about the carpool lanes, I appreciate that reminder! Regarding getting up earlier, not a big deal. We go to bed early anyway. We can just stop at a McDonald's and wash our hair in the sink and take a quick scrub on the way. :-D Not really, we'll just forgo the showers altogether and spritz some eau de toilette on ourselves. Ok, seriously, it's not a big deal to get up earlier. We will try the variations you sent to us. If nothing else, we won't get bored seeing the same things each week. I really appreciate your help! It means a lot :-)

Old 01-19-2015, 07:58 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr1967 View Post
Thanks so much! Yes, I totally forgot about the carpool lanes, I appreciate that reminder! Regarding getting up earlier, not a big deal. We go to bed early anyway. We can just stop at a McDonald's and wash our hair in the sink and take a quick scrub on the way. :-D Not really, we'll just forgo the showers altogether and spritz some eau de toilette on ourselves. Ok, seriously, it's not a big deal to get up earlier. We will try the variations you sent to us. If nothing else, we won't get bored seeing the same things each week. I really appreciate your help! It means a lot :-)
I don't think the variations will do you better than just getting up earlier and using the usual freeways. No point in going around to the west and taking the 85 to the 303. That's really out of your way. If you leave really early, when you reach the outskirts of Phoenix take the 202 east exit to the 101 north, (it's a bit out of the way to the east but not that far) which then loops to the west will carry you around to I-17 to go north to Flag. That should be a bit better than going through Central Phoenix on the 10 and picking up I-17 downtown.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:07 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,430,660 times
The shortest route.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=T...t=h&mra=ls&z=8

And via I8. That is 65 extra miles, pretty miles, but that is for sure one more hour.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=T...sz=8&via=1&z=8

Old 01-19-2015, 08:46 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
If you leave really early, when you reach the outskirts of Phoenix take the 202 east exit to the 101 north, (it's a bit out of the way to the east but not that far) which then loops to the west will carry you around to I-17 to go north to Flag. That should be a bit better than going through Central Phoenix on the 10 and picking up I-17 downtown.

I was going to mention this alternative because it is popular for people who fear central Phx.....and it does help at times.....but traffic can get busy near the Scottsdale Airpark

and this construction:

Overview

Old 01-20-2015, 03:56 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,945,731 times
+1 on the 101 suggestion. Downtown can be a pain, especially traffic on I-10 getting into the tunnel, and inching towards the 10/17 stack. Currently, 101 has some construction, but the HOV lane stays moving pretty well. The north end of the 101 gets backed up during evening rush hour (haven't experienced it in the morning, but it's backed in both directions, so I'd assume it's the same during the AM rush), but it usually takes no more than 15 minutes to get through it.

Any bypass you take will be on local 2 lanes, and will add to your travel time. You'll have a little bit less stress, if you're the type who's bothered by traffic, but you won't save time scooting around Phoenix.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:50 PM

You all are amazing! Thank you so much for your invaluable assistance! We will be rising earlier than planned. Not a big deal. We will be able to see the sun rise which is beautiful from anywhere in Arizona :-)

Old 01-20-2015, 09:31 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,430,660 times
Or leave in the early evening and grab a motel room.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:29 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,945,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Or leave in the early evening and grab a motel room.
That's another great option. I actually prefer driving at night, less traffic.

In fact, I actually commute from Flagstaff to Phoenix. I work Monday-Friday in the valley (for the past few months, at least. Temporary arrangement with work), and stay with friends while down here. I leave work on Friday, and drive back to Flagstaff in the evening. If I leave right after work (about 4:30pm), I hit traffic -- takes about 30-45 minutes to clear Phoenix. If I want to avoid traffic, I have to wait around for about 45 minutes to an hour, so I really don't save time -- just the stress of sitting in traffic. I drive back down either Sunday evening (no traffic), or early Monday morning. If I leave Monday morning, I have to leave Flagstaff EARLY if I want to get to work, because I'll hit Phoenix right at rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona