Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2015, 02:20 PM

5 posts, read 14,719 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Flagstaff for quite a while now and am blessed to live in such a beautiful area. I was recently drawn to the Hackberry/Peach Springs area (just outside Kingman) and ended up buying treed acreage in the foothills of the Peacock Mountains near there. Elevation is 4500. I talked to a well-drilling contractor from Kingman and they provided me a reasonable quote for drilling a well (a major motivator to buy the land). Like so many others, I was also drawn to the Kingman area for the cheaper costs of building a home. Hackberry, being on the outskirts of Kingman, hopefully, shouldn't be that much higher in cost/sq ft than Kingman. Anyone have any data they are willing to share on what their price /sq ft was to build?

In talking with a few people who live there, one individual said snowfall occurs every winter and a few winters back this area received 3 feet of snow in one storm. Coming from Flagstaff where we can see 5+ feet in one storm, I wasn't scared off but was a little shocked to learn this area could receive this much. I looked up stats for Peach Springs (further down the road) and it looks like the greatest snowfall was 16 inches in one storm in 2009. Just curious if this person was pulling my leg. Also wondering how much cooler Hackberry/Peach Springs is compared to Kingman. I visit the area every so often (summer and winter) and the heat of summer wasn't so bad and the cool winter temps were warmer than Flagstaff's. How's the wind in this area? Where I live on the outskirts of Flagstaff, the wind isn't too bad. I hear it in the trees but rarely feel it. What kind of rainfall does this area receive? Kingman averages 11 inches and Peach Springs 14. So I am thinking along the lines of 12-15 inches annually. That sound about right? Do the mountain areas around Kingman get as good a monsoon season as Prescott or Flagstaff in terms of rainfall/thunder/lightning? I used to live in Prescott and they would get quite the lightning show. Not as much lightning or thunder in Flagstaff but quite a bit of rain.

I am mainly looking at this spot as a retirement home so I am just trying to plan for the future by getting some of this information now. Really interested in the history of this area and looking forward to exploring around it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona