Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 03:16 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,975,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitak View Post
Thanks! I have visited most of these places about 10 years ago. i can't wait to be within driving distance to them again... Whichever town I end up in.
Durango area too which is close by to the above is nice. I'd be happy to live West of Durango (like Hesperus) or North of Durango by Villecito. Beautiful areas, check them out.

As to Prescott and Prescott Valley, I think these were once the premier places to live in Arizona. Prescott is getting over run with retirees (nothing personal against them, just there are so many moving into the area it is changing the area, which for me who is about your age is not such a good thing...the median age now in Prescott is 56+). Prescott Valley now in pockets is starting to have crime issues that I expect will get worse in the coming years. Not PV's fault just the nature of small town America with no industry. Note I'm not saying either is a bad choice, I've lived just outside of Prescott for a few years and I really like it, but the slow morph into Palm Springs North is making me look elsewhere. But with the boomer bubble retiring there maybe no place that is inexpensive and nice that escapes the retiring hoards

Flagstaff is cool if you can get work. I like going up there and hanging out. The big issue for Flagstaff (and smaller towns in Colorado) is finding work. If you can, and it is stable, I'd chose Flag or Colorado over the Prescott area unless you are Winter averse. The Prescott area has everything you need for the most part for a smaller town, so if you like big box stores and convenience then maybe the Prescott area should win out.

The Western Slope of Colorado though more expensive and with some real snow to deal with in Winter might be a better option.

Last edited by infocyde; 06-06-2016 at 03:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 04:12 PM

65 posts, read 121,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
As to Prescott and Prescott Valley, I think these were once the premier places to live in Arizona. Prescott is getting over run with retirees (nothing personal against them, just there are so many moving into the area it is changing the area, which for me who is about your age is not such a good thing...the median age now in Prescott is 56+). Prescott Valley now in pockets is starting to have crime issues that I expect will get worse in the coming years. Not PV's fault just the nature of small town America with no industry. Note I'm not saying either is a bad choice, I've lived just outside of Prescott for a few years and I really like it, but the slow morph into Palm Springs North is making me look elsewhere. But with the boomer bubble retiring there maybe no place that is inexpensive and nice that escapes the retiring hoards
Them's strong words!

You are right about the rising tide of retirees. Indeed they represent THE economy, with their savings and insurance money providing many jobs through medical, home and property maintenance, shopping, and eating out wants and needs. Generally it seems the average retiree hereabouts has enough disposable income that at many venues and restaurants they seem the predominant clientele. For example, there is a historic theater downtown (Elks) almost entirely featuring tribute bands doing reproduction sounds from the 50s through 70s, at which the audience is typically almost all above age 65.

This is a mixed blessing, since it narrows the cultural spectrum, but does provide jobs as I said, and also stabilizes the vibe since, arguably, the older generation is the salt of the earth, carrying traditional values -- and I realize this is a value judgement on my part. Not that I don't value the vibrancy and new ideas brought by students (and teachers) in a college town! This said, the family side of Prescott can be experienced at the Christmas and July 4th parades (lining the streets and in the marching bands, etc), and the still-viable ranch culture is on display at the rodeos and cowboy poet events and western art shows on the square.

You are right about Prescott Valley feeling less safe (and more crime-prone) than in years past. Especially in certain neighborhoods. But there's still a lot to like about PV -- and definitely with Prescott. These areas have held their own, admirably, in my view, despite the vast changes in our world over the past 20 years. And costs seem to have risen more slowly than in some of the other places locally -- particularly compared to southwest Colorado!

Old 06-06-2016, 11:39 PM

So you're saying that if there weren't as many retirees in Prescott, we might lose the Elk's club...

<<snip>>

I'll leave it like this. Most retirees that I have met are cool people and I wish them no ill will. I don't necessarily want to live in an area that is becoming more and more like Sun City North though. And I won't. And other people like me won't. It is just the way of things. And it is sad because I like Prescott. I'd like to see Prescott have a diverse economy where there is attractiveness to all age groups.

Last edited by infocyde; 06-07-2016 at 12:04 AM..

Old 06-06-2016, 11:50 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
Quote:
So you're saying that if there weren't as many retirees in Prescott, we might lose the Elk's club...
Gotta keep the $$$ flowing to Prescott Retirement Home somehow.

I agree with your last post, Prescott used to be a really cool town. It still has a hint of it on Whiskey Row, but on the whole it's just a large repository for Californian/Midwestern expats. And not only is embracing that strategy, it's enhancing it. No industry, tons of old people, poor Prescott. The issue with an old person who can retire successfully is that they are sophisticated. They aren't working, so they are bored. Then they start either suing people or doing politics. Next thing you know you have the Prescott area. It happens all over AZ though.

Prescott has potential, but it lacks the desire because it's run by those who don't want young creative people around. Poster above even pointed out that without our old expats we'd be without Western Culture and Elks Club. Doubtful, but even if...

Old 06-08-2016, 03:42 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,217,887 times
Heck, what would a 20-something Californian find interesting in Prescott anyway? Not exactly the swinging urban lifestyle

Old 06-08-2016, 10:21 PM

The 50+ Californians sure like it. Prescott has a lot of things going for it. A younger person (really any aged person) can enjoy the hiking, the camping, the low crime rate (except as noted above), the more laid back life style, and the four moderate seasons. If the Prescott area wasn't busy closing schools it might be a good place to raise a family as well. It would be nice if there was a more balanced demographic here. A median age of 56+ isn't. A few people might do alright (with construction jobs and landscaping companies for example). The rest of the economy is becoming low paying service jobs supporting retirees. As housing cost rise due to retirees coming into the area with big pockets, younger people will be priced out, and the demographics will skew even more grey.

It is what it is. You older folks enjoy.

Last edited by infocyde; 06-08-2016 at 11:00 PM..

Old 06-11-2016, 08:09 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,631,909 times
The high cost of living in Flagstaff and low opportunities for jobs, will that force some Millennials to spill over and move into Prescott Valley?

Quote:

The Western Slope of Colorado though more expensive and with some real snow to deal with in Winter might be a better option.
Montrose, Delta and Grand Junction along the western slope of Colorado are cheaper alternatives to touristy Durango. They're more suburban and family orientated.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:44 PM

I think Millennials have more choices than PV or remaining in Flagstaff, but a few might migrate to PV...in theory.

I liked Durango. It was touristy but it had some decent restaurants and some things going on, which my wife and I liked. I don't think we'd live in Durango proper but we really liked the areas of Hesperus and Villecito. We haven't had a chance to research/check out the other spots or make it to Colorado Springs yet.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Prescott area, and most of the retirees I meet individually are really nice people. I just wish the demographics were more balanced along with the economy. I guess that is a macro issue that no one individual can really control though. Demographics and supply and demand are both harsh mistresses...

Again, is what it is. I have a feeling wanderlust will take hold of us in the next year or two and we will be on to the next thing, till then we will just be more patient and enjoy the area and the people as much as we can.

Last edited by infocyde; 06-13-2016 at 01:07 PM..

Old 06-17-2016, 10:39 PM

218 posts, read 350,514 times
Quote:
I think Millennials have more choices than PV or remaining in Flagstaff, but a few might migrate to PV...in theory.

I liked Durango. It was touristy but it had some decent restaurants and some things going on, which my wife and I liked. I don't think we'd live in Durango proper but we really liked the areas of Hesperus and Villecito. We haven't had a chance to research/check out the other spots or make it to Colorado Springs yet.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Prescott area, and most of the retirees I meet individually are really nice people. I just wish the demographics were more balanced along with the economy. I guess that is a macro issue that no one individual can really control though. Demographics and supply and demand are both harsh mistresses...

Again, is what it is. I have a feeling wanderlust will take hold of us in the next year or two and we will be on to the next thing, till then we will just be more patient and enjoy the area and the people as much as we can.
Durango faces the same problems as Flagstaff in terms of homelessness and too many people trying to move there and living out of hotels + a growing meth problem.

Texans and Texas developers have taken over Durango so you're better off in Flag, PV, Prescott, Bullhead, or Havasu which all have cheaper rents.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:00 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
The issue with an old person who can retire successfully is that they are sophisticated. They aren't working, so they are bored. Then they start either suing people or doing politics. Next thing you know you have the Prescott area. It happens all over AZ though.
Made me chuckle...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona