Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 08:49 PM

153 posts, read 560,797 times

Advertisements

The west side of Flagstaff is protected from the wind by trees. There is hardly any wind to be felt. Only the rustle of PondeBullBoxer31 in the Spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 09:35 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,177,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Cottonwood gets it's share of wind and I hate it. From May to the end of June it can be pretty windy. I always wonder why we can't have it in August when we really need it!
It's like the "blow dryer effect" lately with this heat

Old 06-26-2016, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,238 times
We're in Page, Az. inexpensive dirt, average temp in the summer -mid to high 90's -- winter lows teens to 40's .. There is an area that's called The Ranchettes, which has land available (3-4 acres) reasonably priced... Tons of scenic area to explore on horse back.. There's an area just west 15 miles, it's called Big Water, Utah.. nice place except for the gnat called -no see'im .. These bugs will drive you nuts.. When needing groceries it's 15 mile drive to Page, but remember food in Page is high priced.. Example "T" bone steak 17.00 per pound, fruits and veggies also expensive.. Any big ticket purchases you head for Flag AZ. - or - St. George UT. about 140 miles.. But we have a super lake - Lake Powell .. The lake has 1960 miles of shore line right through an area looking a lot like the Grand Canyon it's 187 miles from the dam to the Colorado river flow ( this is at full pond ).. Being right in the middle of- THE GRAND CIRCLE- We have 2 - 3 million visitors yearly... Pop. depending on the time of the year around 7500 winter and 10,000 summer months..The crime rate is pretty low, and the schools are predominately Navajo, as this 17 square mile town is encircled by the Navajo Reservation. All in all though, it is a pretty laid back community. It is also windy here, but mostly in the spring, and sometimes in the fall. Hope this helps.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:05 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,850,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
It's like the "blow dryer effect" lately with this heat

You are so right about that! At work, every time I leave the store, it hits me like a brick. And if there's a breeze...or real wind!...it does feel just like a blow dryer. Was thinking that very thing when I crossed the parking lot to my car to come home earlier.

Got my first APS bill of the summer. Gulp! Actually it wasn't as bad as I feared it might be but I think it was last July it got up to $160. We'll see what the bill is the end of July this year!

Old 07-01-2016, 12:11 AM

8 posts, read 13,792 times
I have horses, had them in Flagstaff, and now in Chino Valley. I would be happy to tell you the straight truth about the horse owner issues and driving times and weather and where to ride, all of it. If a person does not have horses they really cannot advise anyone, I don't believe. If you would like to write me you can pm me, I would be happy to hear from you.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:32 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,885,974 times
Well as Mitch says I don't have horses so I am not qualified to advise. But as to where I would live with horses in AZ. I would definitely live in the house and make the horses live in the barn. Glad I could be of assistance in this matter.

PS - last time I rode a horse the stupid thing would not go. I yanked on the strings, I slapped it on the butt, I kicked it in the side like on TV. I said, "giddyup."

Then I said, "GIDDYUP YA #$!$#%@!% Horse!!!"

Nothing worked. The dam horse just stood there. I finally got off and yanked on the strings in its mouth. That resulted in a look that seems to say like, "You do that one more time stupid human and I'm gonna kick you in the teeth."

So I sent my friend back to the horse place. After awhile the horse wrangler came out on another horse. She was a girl about 11 years old wearing a cowboy hat and boots, instead of flip flops like me.

She looked at that horse, right square in the eye and said, "BAD HORSE!" Loaded me back on, and that horse was just as nice as can be for the rest of my ride around the lake.

Clearly you need a cowboy hat to run a horse.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:47 PM

65 posts, read 120,952 times
Hope you're aware of hay prices out here. Most of it comes out of Colorado, from irrigated fields, and costs $15 - $20 per bale. It's a lot cheaper up in Colorado but the transport drives up the price. They're big bales, though, upwards of a hundred pounds, but still. I know someone who owns a few horses in Chino Valley, and between grain, hay, and veterinary sometimes it seems she's working for the livestock.

There is some irrigated hay grown around Chino, which is the horsiest, farmiest area in northern AZ, but other posters are correct, there's horses all over -- Verde Valley, Flagstaff, Prescott area, and even on the Navajo land. Bear in mind that the Verde Valley is hot as heck in the summer, so the animals might need some shade and a rubdown with icepacks once in a while .

Old 11-29-2016, 12:07 AM

7 posts, read 8,857 times
If one were to choose to raise children, have horses and trails near by to ride them and the everday conviences while being able to travel to Flagstaff on a daily basis, where would you choose to live between these(Cottonwood, Cornville, Camp Verde or Rimrock)?

Thanks!!!

Old 11-29-2016, 02:50 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,850,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tufgunmagic View Post
If one were to choose to raise children, have horses and trails near by to ride them and the everday conviences while being able to travel to Flagstaff on a daily basis, where would you choose to live between these(Cottonwood, Cornville, Camp Verde or Rimrock)?

Thanks!!!

I would go with Camp Verde or Rimrock. Mostly because of their close proximity to I-17. I'm sure both places have plenty of room and trails to ride horses. Cottonwood and Cornville are great for horses but add miles, on slower roads, to get to the freeway. So a bit longer commute. I have a couple of friends who drive from Camp Verde to Flagstaff every day and they don't seem to mind the drive.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:21 PM

123 posts, read 174,179 times
Verde Valley, Chino Valley, Doney Park, (maybe Mountainaire or Parks??). Horse properties are common, and you'll likely be able to find one just about anywhere you look, save for maybe Flagstaff, Sedona, and a few small towns here and there. Most of the area is rural.

I've never had trouble with long-duration wind events outside of a strict may/june window, and weather related problems only really come up during snowstorms on weekends when the flatlanders come to the mountains to see the snow and forget how to drive - but this is a problem generally relegated to I-17...traffic in Flagstaff proper is bad all the time, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona