Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:44 AM

42 posts, read 49,766 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am looking to buy property right outside of Sedona as I fell in love with the Red Rocks, the numerous places to visit in the area to simply be outside and take in all nature has to offer, and also the close proximity to National Parks I love. I am from the East Coast so being out there would be heaven. I am planning on buying land and then placing a manufactured home on it, one of my choosing, which would be fantastic. It would be cheaper than rent anywhere in the area AND a great investment if I want to move.

However, I am wondering what would it be like to actually live there? I am a 35 year old woman who loves social activities. The ability to make friends around my home is a huge priority. I would like to be able to get out and get a drink now and then or grab some brunch with peers. That kind of thing.

Also, employment. I work as a professional nanny. Is there a good market out there for this?

There is so much to think about. I love the views and the nature aspects. But will I find myself feeling alone and bored with no income? Hope you guys can give me a good idea of what I might be in for. And what places might be better (in Northern Arizona) where I can still buy land for a manufactured home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 09:51 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Being a major retirement area, the median age in Sedona is 58 years old, while the rest of AZ runs around 36 years old. So your prospects of (a) having an active social life with friends your age, and (b) getting employment as a nanny are pretty grim. Beautiful area though.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:16 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,972,333 times
It,s a jobless tourist trap...yes, very pretty. Well and septic can be very extensive and a number of places don't allow manufactured homes, which are generally a terrible investment.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:59 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
But there's lots of rich old men. Also not sure you can put a trailer on most properties in Sedona itself. Might have to go toward Cottonwood.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:40 PM

251 posts, read 168,926 times
I say Go for your dream to live in sedona
sedona has a service industry

Be willing to modify your work options and get to know as many people as you can (network)

Also flaggstaff az is as nice a town as I have ever been,

So have a look at it , also there Is prescott, and cottonwood

You may be able to start a cleaning service while living in cottonwood and
then work your way into sedona

Good luck

Old 10-04-2016, 06:43 AM

720 posts, read 734,516 times
You can buy a lot and put a manufactured home on it - actually I've been pricing these out so I will private message you. I would suggest you contact the school system (Sedona-Oak Creek Unified School District #9) and get more information regarding a possible job opportunity.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:05 PM

39 posts, read 77,966 times
Like another poster said, go for your dream!

But like another poster said...grim.

I couldn't imagine being a 35 y.o. single woman new to Sedona.
And I have to tell you...most 35 y.o. single men in Sedona live with their parents.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:47 AM

Update: I'm having issues deciding on where my two businesses will thrive in the area. I am a massage therapist and also have a home services business (I help families with grocery shopping, meal planning and prep, laundry etc).
Would Flagstaff or Sedona support these careers? Or somewhere else in the area?

Also, I must share my ultimate goal: to build my own home. Yes, as in with my own two hands. Earthbag homes are awesome! So I would want to buy land with mountain views and build while renting. Is there anywhere you recommend that's in close proximity to (half hour drive or less) where I could work?

And how is Flagstaff with the social aspect? Coming from Philly where I spend my free time watching my musician friends play, or catching up with friends over brunch or a drink at some neighborhood eclectic eatery will be hard to beat but I so love northern Arizona!

I hope you can shed some light!

Old 04-06-2017, 10:21 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
as a long-time Az resident, my feeling is Flag is not really a "massage" kind of place.....sure people get massages there, but it's not a huge town and many of the local residents are not utterly wealthy enough to get regular massages.....though real estate prices are famously very high, many locals have lived in their houses for years and, so, may be property-rich, but cash-poor.....same "concept" goes for home services: family members can handle all this themselves.....just my opinion...

as for Sedona, I presume, with its vibe, there may be a glut of massage therapists already trying to make it there.....astronomical real estate prices force many local workers to live in nearby Cottonwood or other towns 10-20 miles away in the Verde Valley.....home services in Sedona?.....maybe, but the town is not at all huge and the residents who may want this (retired??) live only part-time in Sedona or already have staff set up, I'd guess.....

as for building a house.....great idea and there are many lots for sale with mountain views and all.....check county zoning rules!!....and neighborhood restrictions.....you get what you pay for!

Flag does have a great local/social scene, similar to what you like in Philly.....NAU is significant.....cool downtown on both sides of the RR tracks.....lots of summer tourists clog the streets.....very casual vibe.....hippies, cowboys, rednecks, students, old-timey locals, the whole bit......

Old 04-06-2017, 10:31 AM

Azdr, thank you! Super helpful! Good to know about the social but. I'll definitely have to check it out more on my upcoming trip. Perhaps simply building out there is the way to go!

And I hear you about massage. To me, its so sad that it's thought of as only a pampering thing and not as important as it truly is. However with the college of physicians just passing massage therapy as the first method of attack for chronic pain perhaps it will catch on and I can bring it to Flagstaff and educate One can hope!

I guess if I hustle there's always a shot. Just gotta know your clients

I do so hope I can make it out there! Dream come true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona