Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 06:51 PM

882 posts, read 1,463,164 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Mrs soulsea and I are contemplating purchasing either an existing home or a lot to build on in Sedona.

However we have never lived in the Southwest and are not familiar with all the local critters.

For the sake of this conversation lets take a hypothetical location out in Boynton pass rd or near Oak Creek (the actual creek not the village).

What are some of the wildlife to look out for and what preventative measures (if any) can one take?

More specifically in regards to:

- Spiders
- Snakes
- Scorpions

- Do coyotes loiter near people and go for small dogs and cats?
- Are mountain lions something that one has to look out for?

I'm guessing mosquitoes aren't much of a nuisance, in fact I haven't seen one on all my visits there, but can someone confirm this one way or the other?

And does it make a difference if we're closer to the more (relatively) lush environment of the creek or the more arid environment of the hills?

Anything else we're not accounting for like ten foot rats or overzealous gurus?

Thanks a bunch.

Namaste and stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 07:30 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,948,076 times
Well, first let me recommend reading the thread on all the horrble things that can happen here. As everyone knows there is a rattlesnake under every rock and scorpions in your shoes. And it isn't the mountain lions you need to worry about, it's the BEARS!

And bats! Bats are everywhere. They attack at sunset. They look for girls with big hair to latch there claws into. Even if you just SEE a bat you must have twenty rabies shots in your stomach. So close your eyes!

Some idiot shot the only wolf last year so you don't have yo worry about them..

OK really, I have seen far more scorpions and snakes in FL than AZ. Snakes are found where there are little critters and water. Scorpions are found where there are bugs and crickets. Mountain lions can be anywhere, but they are unlikely to bother you. Bears are found in phoenux suburbs and mountains. They won't bother you. A .44mag ensures that they won't.

Coyotes eat pets. Daily. They love cats. They will not eat children, usually. I know I tried leaving mine out, but no luck...

You are pretty safe in AZ. Watch where you step, don't stick your hand into holes, don't walk on wet rocks in Oak creek and you will live a long, healthy life. If you stay off the interstates...

Old 11-25-2016, 04:56 PM

138 posts, read 387,868 times
Tourists are the biggest concern here. They drive around holding their phone out of the window or through the sunroof, weaving around like they are drunk, and stop/pull over/U-turn randomly.

Coyotes are way overrated. They will take a small dog or cat, but don't bother humans. Don't tell some of the locals though! They walk around with sticks or golf clubs as if a pack of coyotes is going to jump them. Scorpions are really dependent on where you live and how old the development is. The newer the development, the more scorpions. I rarely see rattlesnakes, and I spend a lot of time outdoors. I see more gopher and king snakes, but those are the 'good' ones. They eat pack rats and other annoying things. In fact, pack rats are some of the worst animals we have around here (except tourists, of course). They can get into anything and build nests. They strip wires and tear things up.

Some people hate javelina, but they don't bug me. They can wreak havoc with a dog though. I've seen more than one dog gored by them. Never bugged my dogs though.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:00 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,948,076 times
Oh - and let's not forget the twice a year when it snows - then 90% of the idiots on the road are out to kill you. Get two inches of snow in the AZ mountains, which are full of flatlanders from Phoenix and worse and you are taking your life in your hands.

There should be a rule that only people with 4WD trucks should be allowed on the road in snow or rain.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:43 PM

123 posts, read 175,420 times
Coyotes are everywhere, but they generally won't bother you. If you see one, it'll likely be in passing...they generally don't want anything to do with you. To minimize chances of an encounter, don't keep pets outside, don't leave food outside, and close garbage cans. You probably won't even notice they are there. You learn to live with them.

Central Arizona is definitely cougar country, but you won't have to do anything special to avoid them. They are shy critters and they don't like people. If you are out on a day hike, you won't see one. I've lived in and visited the area for many years, and i have yet to see one (the most I've seen are some old tracks). Carry some pepper spray if you want too...you probably won't ever use it. Bobcats are somewhat common as well, but don't pose much of a danger if you keep your distance.

Snakes are common, most won't bother you, and the few that might (rattlers) will let you know that you are too close. But again, if you run into one, just let it go on its way and you'll be fine. I've never had any scorpion/spider problems in Sedona.

Javelina can be nasty, but stay out of their way and you won't be bothered. The bats are fun to watch at twilight! Other than that, you'll see deer, elk (in the higher elevations), a huge variety of birds, lizards, and small mammals like jackrabbits, prairie dogs, skunks, raccoons, and ringtails if you are lucky.

Respect the southwest and the southwest will respect you. Welcome to the area.

More info:
Sedona Wildlife | Animals, Birds, Reptiles, Insects, Plants

Old 12-17-2016, 05:52 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,918,197 times
We have lived in Sedona for 8 years now.

Only ever seen a rattlesnake once when out on a hike. It was crossing the trail. We stopped, let it cross and went on our way. We have seen gopher snakes, King snakes and an Arizona Glossy.

We do get the occasional scorpion but not enough to be a problem. Crickets are way more annoying! We spray around the house once a month and that keeps the bugs and spiders out.

Coyotes seem more interested in the local rabbit population than us. But if you do have a small dog or cat, best to keep it indoors.

We get plenty of Javelina passing through. Main problem is that they went after my wife's herb garden. Other than that they are no problem. We also get plenty of deer. Also no problem.

We do have a Bobcat that checks out our lot on a regular basis. A truly beautiful creature in my opinion.

Bats are a problem because they hang on our stucco at night and make a mess. They are protected and I haven't figured out an effective and lasting way of getting them to hang out at the neighbor rather than at our house.

Pack rats are a nuisance and can be destructive gnawing their way into equipment and chewing up wires. I generally find that my pump action BB gun is the most effective way of dealing with them.

The nearest we got to a Mountain Lion was when our critter cam managed to get a photo of one heading through our lot. We know they are there but you never see them.

Other critters? Raccoons, skunks, squirrels, chipmunks, roadrunners and various hawks.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:55 PM

39 posts, read 77,919 times
The first night at my house in Sedona I heard something at my patio door...scritch, scritch, scritch.
I turned on the light and saw 3 mice hopping up and down wanting to come inside...I didn't let them in.

I have a good sized rat living under my cactus bush...never bothered me.

I saw a rattlesnake crossing Bell Rock Blvd....coming into my yard. It was about 3 feet long. Never saw it again.

Saw a foot long rattlesnake out at Red Rock Crossing. Avoided it.

Have coyotes in my yard every night. No problems.

Have javelina in my yard every morning. No problems.

Had these things in my garage...looked like spiders with fangs and pinchers and ran very fast. BIG problem.

Have huge red wasp looking things hovering in my backyard...over the tarantula holes. No problem.

Saw a bobcat walking down the road. No problem.

Saw a mountain lion messing with someones trash cans. I ran away...It was huge.

Other than that...everything's fine.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:52 PM

882 posts, read 1,463,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedona Joe View Post
Had these things in my garage...looked like spiders with fangs and pinchers and ran very fast. BIG problem.
Are you referring to scorpions?

Or some other calamity?

Thanks.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:25 PM

39 posts, read 77,919 times
No...they weren't scorpions. Never saw a scorpion in Arizona.

These were more than likely sun spiders. Ugly, mean and fast.

Like the zombies in 28 Days Later.

And they'll come after you.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:56 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,084,279 times
A very rare photo from a game camera along Oak Creek some miles downstream from the Boynton Canyon area. AZ game and fish biologists told me it was 4 juvenile lions, probably following their mama who tripped the camera walking past. Cougar cubs stay with their mother for a year or more before she runs them off to fend for themselves.
If you are thinking of living along waterways like Oak Creek, bear in mind that Mt. Lions use those waterways as highways. Mature, healthy cougars are rarely a threat to humans and their pets/livestock but young, inexperienced lions and old, sick ones are sometimes forced to prey on them. Mountain Lions have a range that can cover a hundred square miles. The Game and Fish department will take no action against a lion who preys on pets. They consider it the owner's responsibility to safeguard them. A full grown lion can clear a 10 ft. high fence from a standstill.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona