Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 09:37 PM

4,054 posts, read 5,067,807 times

Advertisements

Yeah...nowhere NEAR that kind of snowfall but it was fun to play in. Flagstaff can get that bad but Payson? Give it a day and it will melt off. I think the total snowfall was under a foot if I remember correctly, melted off by New Years Eve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 09:58 PM

331 posts, read 311,610 times
As others have suggested, the drive to Phoenix from Payson is much to be preferred over the drive to Phoenix from Prescott or Flagstaff. I have been driving all of them for many years. The highway from Payson has been dramatically improved over the past ten or so years, and that "commute" to Phoenix is far more enjoyable than the one from Prescott or Flagstaff.

Payson is below the rim and I have never found the snowfall to be a problem. When I lived in Heber, the Payson public golf course was my go-to spot all winter long. Certainly Payson still has much more of a small-town feel than either the Prescott/PV area or the Flagstaff area, although it too has grown pretty dramatically. There are a couple of really high-end golf communities there that you don't see unless you know where they are.

As a longtime native Arizonan who has lived in the northern part of the state for more than 45 years now and has seen quiet little towns turn into my idea of hellholes, I have plenty of bad things to say many of them - but Payson is still one in which I could live. A friend of mine who recently died owned a bar there for years, and the town is pretty lively for one its size. I can't imagine that you'll be seriously disappointed (which I could imagine in Prescott/PV).

Old 06-29-2017, 09:48 AM

98 posts, read 361,729 times
Payson, in my IMHO, is much preferable to Prescott. Prescott has turned into a congested mess - basically a Palm Springs in the mountains (I wrote a brief description of Prescott about 2 years ago). But-if one is retired, Prescott might be the "cat's meow" as the saying goes. I've been fortunate to live in Prescott, Payson and Flagstaff. Flagstaff does receive an enormous amount of snow. One has to be ready for the serious weather. Payson and Prescott are quite mild when it comes to winter snow storms. As others have stated the snow will melt in a few days if another storm doesn't come in.

In regard to EMS (Emergency Medical Services-Helicopter/fixed wing), PHI does have a yearly plan for individuals/family. I believe my plan for family was less than $100 per year. I also have Air Methods. These plans will save one a HUGE amount of money if you ever have to use their medical transportation service. Call the hospital and they will give you the appropriate information. In Payson, there are two very exclusive golf communities (Chapparal Pines and The Rim Club). I almost decided to live in Chapparal Pines but when I found out the HOA didn't allow parking in one's driveway for more than a few hours, I passed. Keep in mind the HOA in these communities are EXTREMLY strict and will ruin your day if you allow them to. And, yes, I get it, HOA's can been good. We don't want cars on the lawns, bad landscaping, etc.

Restaurants in Payson, there are a few good ones - steakhouses and terrific "diners". They recently have added Five Guys Burgers, Dunkin Donuts and Dutch Bros. if one's into that type of food.

The OP mentioned cancer treatment (cancer is a real B**** and I hope you or your family member is in remission). All cancer treatment will be done in the valley from Payson. We had a friend in Payson who was undergoing breast cancer treatment and she went down to the valley without any issues.

Hope this info helps...

Last edited by Mt.Mahn; 06-29-2017 at 10:14 AM..

Old 07-02-2017, 07:24 PM

62 posts, read 103,294 times
Yes, all the info has been very helpful. I have heard about a fire in Prescott National Forest. Are forest fires in the Prescott or Paysoneareas anything to be concerned about if buying in the forest. I haven't read much about it, like maybe it is not much of an issue. Thank you "Mt.Mahn" for your concern about the cancer. hate heRing about your friend or anyone else that has to deal with it. I have already beat the odds I was given in Tulsa hospital and I give M D Anderson hospital in Houston credit for that. we will be in Prescott on the 11th, staying down town, and will spend a couple of weeks in the area. the area between Prescott, Sedona and payson is my our target. just found out today that acquaintances of mine just moved to the Prescott area because their daughter loved the area so much when she lived there that they all moved back together.

Last edited by okie bird dog; 07-02-2017 at 07:53 PM..

Old 07-20-2017, 12:25 PM

98 posts, read 361,729 times
Hello Okie bird dog,
Glad to hear you are in remission!
Fires are always a concern in the forest. A lot of times it is "luck of the draw" when it comes to protecting your home from a fast moving fire. The fire departments in Payson & Prescott are "top notch" - BTW.
Good luck with your home search in AZ!

Old 02-07-2018, 09:57 AM

990 posts, read 2,541,513 times
First, I recognize this is an older post.

I write this for those scanning the post looking for information on Payson.

Now, I am a new comer to the area, (actually Pine approx. 15 miles to the north and much smaller).

As a result, I am in Payson nearly every day.

Payson itself would be considered a small town virtually anywhere else, (population approx. 15,000) however it is the largest town in Gila county.

It has most everything you need, but not to excess.

It has restaurants..... but, really only three or four that would actually classify as such.

It has two supermarkets (Basha's and Save Way).

Importantly, it has friendly people.

One of its attributes not clearly defined by earlier poster... It is truly centrally located.

From Payson, you are approx. 90 minutes of "the valley" (Phoenix, Scottsdale, Mesa etc.).

From there, you are also about 2 hours from the Prescott area, along with Sedona.

Flagstaff is not much farther.

Sooooo, what it comes down to is, How do you feel about driving?

I will express my opinion here...... You get used to the distances VERY quickly.

Where I come from, if a person has to go more than 5 miles to get to a supermarket, it is considered "the end of the Earth".

After a short while here, I have adopted the attitude of many, "It's just up the road, it can't be more than 100 miles away". LOL

One additional closing thought.

The area, (mountains, forest,and countryside) is BEAUTIFUL!

Old 02-16-2018, 09:46 AM

62 posts, read 103,294 times
I always appreciate further info on Payson and the Payson area. My wife and I will be moving to Arizona this year as soon as we can get all that we own sold. All info from all areas in north central Arizona is valuable to us and we are thankful to those who continue to post. Our largest decision is WHERE? Prescott is our first choice but we can see as the CV/Prescott/PV/DH area grows it may become too much like a larger city. Do we want a place where it is colder than we like in the winter or one that is hotter than we want in the summer. Do we want to live in the desert looking up at the mountains or in the mountains looking at the beautiful pines but have been advised by a local that it would not be wise for older people. In reality, what ever you want in the area is just a short drive away, you can have a piece of all of it. I have continued concerns over the water costs in the Cottonwood area after speaking with a local. Also, home insurance costs in the forest with fires a consideration. We will be renting for a time to decide and can't wait to get there permanently. Thankyou again to all posters.

Old 02-17-2018, 12:59 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,051,463 times
Yes that is certainly one of the most attractive things about Arizona. You can chose to live in the desert and have the mountains and forests and cool only a few hours drive away. Or vice versa.

Otherwise, Arizona is a terrible place™️.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:08 AM

4,054 posts, read 5,067,807 times
Well we can throw in that there is now an initiative to "renovate" Rumsey Park and potentially bring in a private Hockey School. I can't honestly understand how or why the Town thinks this is going to work but...there it is.

Group meets in park to go over new master plan, prep school | Local News | paysonroundup.com

Also, if you are interested, there is a new group called "Transparent Payson" which is trying to get the Town Council to open up more on its processes.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:44 PM

185 posts, read 272,819 times
Family from Oregon, moved to Prescott Valley 1 year ago...now my hubby has been offered a job transfer to Payson.
We visited Payson last weekend and it was really nice. Town was a bit small, but we've lived in coastal towns that only had populations of 2,500...... So Payson is actually fine in size. The trees make me fell like I'm back home. No, it's not an Oregon forest, but at least it doesn't feel like a desert.

I'm curious about the creepy crawlies. Any scorpions I need to worry about?
What about poisonous/venomous snakes?

What about the Bubonic Plague? Is that a problem?

What about People? Is Payson a retiree habitat like Prescott?

I realize Payson doesn't have the shopping like Prescott does, but again...no biggie since Payson has the basics and I can always go into Scottsdale or Mesa if I need a Costco or something.

What about schools? Pro's/Con's?

I hear Payson gets snow. My kids LOVE snow.

Anyway, any info would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona