Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 02:32 PM

402 posts, read 604,781 times

Advertisements

Do you guys in the Cottonwood, Camp Verde, Cornville, Rimrock areas have any internet options besides Centurylink and Satellite? Ive seen reviews of a Suddenlink company but they seem awful.

Prescott area have a couple fixed wireless companies like Mile High Networks. Anything like that in the general Camp Verde area?

On a related note....is Verizon or ATT generally better in this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 11:03 AM

4,055 posts, read 5,071,920 times
Unfortunately, you are going to be looking at either CTL or SuddenLink.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:27 PM

402 posts, read 604,781 times
Not sure ive ever seen reviews as bad as Suddenlink gets. And thats saying something for a cable company

Old 02-22-2018, 10:44 AM

375 posts, read 604,639 times
Most of Yavapai county is still the wild west as far as internet goes
Try this site to see how bad it is and what providers may be available to you
https://broadbandnow.com/Arizona

Just enter your zip code to see what may be available
Good luck

Old 02-23-2018, 02:16 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,957,229 times
Hughes net is probably available (satellite). I'm in the Grand Canyon area and it works so far (using as type).

So far it works decently, definitely prefer a cable model but I can scrape by remote working using Hughes Net. I'm getting about 50 megs down (which is decent though sometimes it will slow up with wind and snow). The two problems are latency (sites take a few more seconds to load, it is noticeable), and the upload speed sucks (I get just shy of 1 meg up). I can do skype and screen sharing with it but skype has a little static. I'd say it is just barely adequate for remote work, but it works.

Satellite has come along way so if in a bind with no other options I wouldn't dismiss it as an option out of hand. The datacap is 50 gigs and then it will nerf you. I've got a business account with a little more data. If you set your video streaming resolution down most people except heavy users will be OK.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:13 PM

Anyone try ViaSat? They just launched a bunch of new satellites and ViaSat2 is supposed to support up to 300Gb/s throughput.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:47 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,957,229 times
Looks like 12 meg down speeds at least in the Grand Canyon area, though there website was kind of vague if it was available or not. The viasat website did seem to offer an unlimited data plan, which would be nice.

Perhaps in select areas you an get the 300gigs as they are testing it and rolling it out slowly, I think Hughes Net originally did the same thing even though you'd think with Satellite speeds shouldn't very much. Just don't want to tax the satellite bandwidth to the max yet? IDK.

Also Elion Musk(?) says he is going to put sats in the air to provide gigabit bandwidth around the globe starting in two years.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
Looks like 12 meg down speeds at least in the Grand Canyon area, though there website was kind of vague if it was available or not. The viasat website did seem to offer an unlimited data plan, which would be nice.

Perhaps in select areas you an get the 300gigs as they are testing it and rolling it out slowly, I think Hughes Net originally did the same thing even though you'd think with Satellite speeds shouldn't very much. Just don't want to tax the satellite bandwidth to the max yet? IDK.

Also Elion Musk(?) says he is going to put sats in the air to provide gigabit bandwidth around the globe starting in two years.
Yeah, sorry...the 300Gb/s was the measurement for ViaSat2's throughput, not individual speeds. I guess that statement was a bit vague. They have tested 100Mb/s in a single connection though...which is pretty darn good for satellite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ViaSat-2

Old 03-04-2018, 04:39 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,068,728 times
Cable1 is available, at least in Cornville. They claim "up to" 50 meg service, but I hear they have mysterious data caps. I have 7 meg service, which is as fast as I can get. Barely OK for streaming TV as long as no other devices are active. Their CS stinks, I'd love another option.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:43 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,068,728 times
I just checked ViaSat for this area. Best offer is "up to 12Mbps", with 720P streaming. They call that HD, LOL. 95 bucks a month. Yeah, I'll pass...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona