Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2018, 05:52 AM

85 posts, read 76,948 times

Advertisements

We will be leaving in the morning from Flagstaff after breakfast and heading to the Grand Canyon for a 2 day stay. I don't know how long it takes to get to the Canyon so is it too soon for lunch?? . Is it better to eat lunch before we get there, or at the Canyon?? I presume the prices will be cheaper on the way but I don't know where there will be places to stop.

Also, I see there are two roads that take you there. Can anyone tell me which one is best for scenery and eats on the way. We have never driven in this part of the country before so thanks so much for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 11:20 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,143,233 times
Well...if you take the 180 from Flagstaff to 64...there is pretty much nothing until Valle. Then there is a Travel Stop and Bedrock City. Some places in Tusayan and of course Grand Canyon Village once you get into the park. I haven't taken 64 from Williams lately but if memory serves, there is pretty much nothing between Williams and Valle. That would be the long way.

Flagstaff to Grand Canyon Village is only 1.5 hours so if you are leaving in the morning, you will make it there way before lunch time. If you go through Williams, it will add another 30 minutes or so, but still only 2 hours. Depends on how often you stop and sight see. Williams is a total tourist trap so be prepared for high prices for mediocre food but if you haven't been there, it may be worth it to you. Bearizona is there and a part of Route 66.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:29 PM

Default Thanks KurtAZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Well...if you take the 180 from Flagstaff to 64...there is pretty much nothing until Valle. Then there is a Travel Stop and Bedrock City. Some places in Tusayan and of course Grand Canyon Village once you get into the park. I haven't taken 64 from Williams lately but if memory serves, there is pretty much nothing between Williams and Valle. That would be the long way.

Flagstaff to Grand Canyon Village is only 1.5 hours so if you are leaving in the morning, you will make it there way before lunch time. If you go through Williams, it will add another 30 minutes or so, but still only 2 hours. Depends on how often you stop and sight see. Williams is a total tourist trap so be prepared for high prices for mediocre food but if you haven't been there, it may be worth it to you. Bearizona is there and a part of Route 66.
Thanks KurtAZ. Great info. I did not realize Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon were so close. We are going to try and book rooms in the Canyon or Tusayan 13 months out and not stay at Williams. Hopefully the rooms will be cheaper '' we hope '' and we can get something there. We might keep Bedrock city in mind on the way just to see what it is like. Thanks again for the help.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:18 PM

62 posts, read 103,918 times
My wife and I enjoy eating at the Grand Canyon Hotel and Railway restaurant when in Williams. As was stated, pretty pricey, but we like the food. At dinner they often have a little live entertainment.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie bird dog View Post
My wife and I enjoy eating at the Grand Canyon Hotel and Railway restaurant when in Williams. As was stated, pretty pricey, but we like the food. At dinner they often have a little live entertainment.
If we end up staying in Williams I will remember that. Thanks.

Old 09-08-2018, 06:58 PM

157 posts, read 568,285 times
There is very little to eat between Flagstaff and Tusayan, the village just outside of the Grand Canyon. Good news is that the drive is only a little over one hour and a quarter and there is plenty to eat at either end of the trip.

If you're into having lunch on the way there are still possibilities. Bring a sandwich from any of the shops in Flagstaff and make a picnic lunch somewhere on the way. Kendrick Park Watchable Wildlife Trail is 30 minutes north of Flagstaff. Red Mountain Trail is 45 minutes north of Flagstaff. Both are excellent side trips, although no tables, I think.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:50 PM

Smile Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
There is very little to eat between Flagstaff and Tusayan, the village just outside of the Grand Canyon. Good news is that the drive is only a little over one hour and a quarter and there is plenty to eat at either end of the trip.

If you're into having lunch on the way there are still possibilities. Bring a sandwich from any of the shops in Flagstaff and make a picnic lunch somewhere on the way. Kendrick Park Watchable Wildlife Trail is 30 minutes north of Flagstaff. Red Mountain Trail is 45 minutes north of Flagstaff. Both are excellent side trips, although no tables, I think.

Thanks for letting me know about the wildlife trails. I did not know that the canyon was so close to Flagstaff so we might do a stop and walk at one of your suggestions to sight see.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:48 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,143,233 times
If you are going to grab sandwiches in Flag for a picnic...go to Silver Mine Subs. You're welcome.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:39 AM

Thumbs up Sub's

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
If you are going to grab sandwiches in Flag for a picnic...go to Silver Mine Subs. You're welcome.
Thanks again KurtAZ. I will look up there site. I love sub's If we get a room in the Canyon or Tusayan with a mini fridge we thought we would go to the Super Walmart not far from Amtrak and stock up on a few things--bottled water, snacks and sandwich stuff. If they allow us to take those things into the park?? That might be a silly question, but I hadn't thought of it until now. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona