Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2018, 10:56 AM

16 posts, read 16,918 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to specifically to sedona, cornville, cottonwood, camp verde or rimrock...

(Been researching yavapai county for over a month. Places listed above seem to be the places that suit my family best)

Here are my questions about those areas of Yavapai county:

1. Are the summers in the Yavapai areas i listed hot and dry or hot and humid?
2. Which is the hottest place to live out of the 5?
3. Are the winters in the Yavapai areas i listed cold and dry or cold and humid?
4. Which is the coldest place to live out of the 5?
5. How much is water utilities monthly avg? (3 fmly home, i pay $120 a month now)
6. If renting, whats the highest utilities over there??
7. Out of the 5 places i listed at the top, which one is the nicest to live and why?
8. What place is the quietest of all 5 places?
9. What place has the nicest, chill, laid back, kinda ppl and vibe?
10. Cons and pros of the places i listed above

If you can answer all of these questions, thatd be incredibly helpful and fantastic!
If you can only answer a few questions, i still really really really appreciate it!!
If you have any suggestions of other places to move i appreciate that too.

Thank you sooo much everyone for taking time to help*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 11:49 AM

455 posts, read 1,489,039 times
The places you listed are all close together in location and Elevation, with Sedona the highest and Camp Verde the lowest, so there won't be a large spread in Temperature. Sedona is the coolest year round and Camp Verde the warmest, but again,not much of a temperature spread.

You ask if the summers are hot. What is hot to you? Compared to the desert areas of AZ, it is cooler up here, but temps can and do get into the low 100's. We get the Az monsoon, so July to early Sept can be humid, but nothing like back East. The nice thing is temps cool off in the evening. It is not unusual for us to open the windows at night into July.
Winters are mostly dry, not humid/wet. We do get storms but little to any snow. If it does snow, it doesn't last more than a day or 2.

I'm in Cornville and on a well, so no water bills for me. I think the same is true of Rimrock.

I'll let others address the rest of questions.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:00 PM

153 posts, read 560,660 times
The first four questions can be related to elevation. Climate follows elevation closely. The higher the elevation, the colder the climate, and vice versa. Sedona is 4350 feet. Rimrock: 3592. Cottonwood: 3315. Cornville: 3225. Camp Verde: 3147. So, Sedona is the coldest and Camp Verde the hottest. The same goes for other cities and towns nearby. Flagstaff is much higher and much colder. North Phoenix is much lower and much hotter.

Utility costs are often related to services, such as whether natural gas is supplied, or whether gas has to be hauled. You will likely have to inquire locally.

Most are going to say Sedona is the nicest to live, but housing costs are far higher. People like the sandstone cliffs and the attractions. That doesn't mean the other places are not also nice. The other places you mention also have interesting white carbonate rocks and soils, and Camp Verde and Cottonwood have the Verde River. The place you choose will likely depend on your budget and how you want to spend it.

All these places tend to be extremely quiet unless you choose a central location in Sedona. I think Rimrock and also Clarkdale are most quiet. In Clarkdale one can almost feel the ghosts.

Prescott Valley would be one extra to consider. At 5026 feet it is cooler, and there are more stores and services in the immediate vicinity, like Cottonwood.

My recommendation is to look at Sedona and see if it's in your budget. For most people it is not, and so Sedona can be quickly eliminated. Cottonwood and Camp Verde will have basic stores and more services. Rimrock and Cornville might give you a good deal for real estate, but you would have to travel farther for basic services like most groceries.

That's my effort at an unbiased opinion. Happy hunting.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:40 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,067,741 times
No "water bills" when you're on a well, until your pump breaks. Last one I put in was 2K dollars.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:25 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,607,667 times
The below post was my very first post on City-Data over 10 years ago and much has changed but I think the post is still relevant for your needs if you take the time to read it. Some of the things that changed is that all the school systems are better than 10 years ago. Rimrock and Beaver Creek has more facilities but the Ranch house and golf course is now back to nature. Camp Verde has come a long way with a vibrant wine industry starting to bear fruit and many modern upgrades.
All in all the entire area has progressed dramatically and inflation has made everything a bit more expensive as one would expect.
I still take my walks and explore. After 20 some years here, I could never consider anyplace else.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/10439410-post127.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona