U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 06:51 PM

2,749 posts, read 3,800,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaghole View Post
Flagstaff is expensive, no housing, no jobs, lots of drunk indian's and so forth.
I have lived in flag off and on since 1990.
It is just like any other place to live, getting crowded, prices going up etc..
Hard to make friends if new, especially the chica's, they are snob's due to high competition.
I think the key to this town is you had to have gone to school here, otherwise just moving here will be a nightmare. I would say at least 1-2 years before you make any real friends or have an understanding of the town. I was a lucky and made tons of friends and most of them stayed! I met a lot of people while working the bars while in school too. Not only the people your age but You get to know the towns people from the Babbitts to Downtown Tom (local dude who does odd jobs for everyone), to the guys working at snowbowl.

We thought that same thing, go somewhere else that is cheaper. Well that failed as maybe the houses or whatever was not high but the food was, the child molesters where all over the place, meth heads, nothing compares to WA and Oregon for meth heads. Flagstaff is not even close.

But all who want out of flag( common theme here, I hear it all the time). be gone with you!
You don't like it here get the heck out, we don't want you! This is a very educated, Cultured, artsy fartsy, Sporto, environmental mountain town. Sure, it has it's bad things just like any city but since it being so small you see it more.
I
It is cold, damn cold. Can last long.
Not much shopping, not many places to eat and you get sick of the ones there.

Lots and lots of bad things about this place.

It takes a certain kind of person to tolerate this place. I for one am one of those people. I will do whatever it takes to make a life there.
There is a middle class in Flagstaff. Not everyone is rich nor poor. The poor may not look wealthy but that is not what this place is about. Having nice cars and gucci glasses does not make your wealthy! In-fact these days it sort makes you look like your trying too hard and maxing out the CC for some look. If you want away from that life then flag may or may not be the place for you. It is a tough tough place to live.
If your city folk stay out of here. People will not like you here. Really!

Move to portland or bend oregon.

I love flagstaff but it is hard, is it worth not having what I could have had in Phoenix HELL YES!!!!!!!!!
We have a saying here too, don't phoenix flagstaff!

Ok rant off.
I love your posting because you say it like it is! And I wholeheartedly agree that if someone is so miserable living where they are that all they can do is bash the place...then move somewhere else and stop the complaining!

We all know that no place on earth is perfect...however, we need to find a place that is perfect for each of us.

I have visited Flag many times and have never been disappointed. I have seriously considered relocating there when I retire. If I can swing it financially then I will be proud to call Flagstaff my home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 12:12 PM

15 posts, read 42,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaghole View Post
Flagstaff is expensive, no housing, no jobs, lots of drunk indian's and so forth.
I have lived in flag off and on since 1990.
It is just like any other place to live, getting crowded, prices going up etc..
Hard to make friends if new, especially the chica's, they are snob's due to high competition.
I think the key to this town is you had to have gone to school here, otherwise just moving here will be a nightmare. I would say at least 1-2 years before you make any real friends or have an understanding of the town. I was a lucky and made tons of friends and most of them stayed! I met a lot of people while working the bars while in school too. Not only the people your age but You get to know the towns people from the Babbitts to Downtown Tom (local dude who does odd jobs for everyone), to the guys working at snowbowl.

We thought that same thing, go somewhere else that is cheaper. Well that failed as maybe the houses or whatever was not high but the food was, the child molesters where all over the place, meth heads, nothing compares to WA and Oregon for meth heads. Flagstaff is not even close.

But all who want out of flag( common theme here, I hear it all the time). be gone with you!
You don't like it here get the heck out, we don't want you! This is a very educated, Cultured, artsy fartsy, Sporto, environmental mountain town. Sure, it has it's bad things just like any city but since it being so small you see it more.
I
It is cold, damn cold. Can last long.
Not much shopping, not many places to eat and you get sick of the ones there.

Lots and lots of bad things about this place.

It takes a certain kind of person to tolerate this place. I for one am one of those people. I will do whatever it takes to make a life there.
There is a middle class in Flagstaff. Not everyone is rich nor poor. The poor may not look wealthy but that is not what this place is about. Having nice cars and gucci glasses does not make your wealthy! In-fact these days it sort makes you look like your trying too hard and maxing out the CC for some look. If you want away from that life then flag may or may not be the place for you. It is a tough tough place to live.
If your city folk stay out of here. People will not like you here. Really!

Move to portland or bend oregon.

I love flagstaff but it is hard, is it worth not having what I could have had in Phoenix HELL YES!!!!!!!!!
We have a saying here too, don't phoenix flagstaff!

Ok rant off.
Amen and right on!

Old 01-20-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeoldies View Post
Definitely hard to make friends. Cold, aloof attitude among many residents.
Give me a break! Is it easy to make friends anywhere nowadays??? The people here are very nice, much nicer than you'll find in larger cities.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:25 PM

To anyone considering a move to Flagstaff. The town is an awful place to live. It has nothing to offer.

Stay away!!

Old 04-20-2008, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 5,373 times
Default California People

I have lived in California all my life. It was a wonderful place to live, great climate, mountains, desert, ocean, not crowded. Then people from everywere else came here and drove prices up, changed the rural and farming culture and made it what it is. We are not all bad or immoral. The people in other states who are taking the money from Californian's are as much to blame. We are for the most part trying to find a place to live were it is "like it used to be here" before so many opertunist's came to California. We do not want to pay any more for r.e. than the next person. Personally AZ is were we are looking. But were ever we land we want to be positive ,pruductive, American citizen's giving back to what ever cummunity we end up in. Submitted with respect to my fellow American brothers and sisters.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:27 AM

Location: Honolulu, Hawaii 14 1/2yrs. Raised & 7yrs. *Just moved back to mainland the Arizona area wrong area
35 posts, read 273,596 times
Ellen K, You & your daughter wont have a problem finding a job in Flagstaff. Unless you're really not bright people. Male/Female ratio 1female to 25men it's pretty sad and they all seem to need direction/female friend or companionship. It will be very different for you two. Try to bring as much as you can because you're in the middle of nowhere.
brian_2 has some good suggestions. But visiting & living are to different perspectives. I even came through a yr. before to make sure drove top to bottom of Arizona entertaining but actually living & transitioning has ben one hellish F--k after another up at this for god saken area. I'm a female completely on my own with no moral support & very self sufficient but this is more bull**** than need be. And I've moved a few places cold turkey. It could be prejudicium???
I just moved here due to being medically ill from Honolulu,Hawaii. Utter culture shock & I've did some traveling in my life & saw some beautiful country sides & rustic rural to 3 world country type of areas. From US: Nevada area, Utah, New Mexico, Northern Calif, Southern Calif., Washington-Seattle area,Oregon Oahu-Hawaii, Louisiana, Texas mostly places on Western Regions
. Outter Countries: Europe, China, Canada, Mexican Riviera, Mexico. I need to get the hell out of dodge beautiful place just to visit max 3mos. You would be pushing it at 4. But I'm stuck here for a good year.
But I assume you're looking at change & the dryer sun belt w/snow 4seasons- Arizona has 6 other abiding other state that are all great in there own way. But don't forget gas prices are very high at this time. For change it's great just plan strategicly ex-amt. of years and move on.
I do product development & research & trend analysis. This area is different not for our company until way down the road. Not a good start up area for our profiled people we are looking for. It's a great college town luck dogs can go in & out ever so many months. But for basic jobs for two females with some flair & intelligence you're in like flin. Plus you're both watching each others back & you're from the same area moving on an adventure together. I would say for an easy going commoner 3 years max for a change in Flagstaff than make new decision to say or move on or stay.
Best wishes on whatever you two decide.
Sugg. job wise look up this company called Cares Team "www.caresteam.org" It's a family church oriented community living help group/ like a pasture on call w/group meetings. I prefer to say a new age style of helping an apartment complex community living. It's like a college dorm leader that suppose to be a grad student conseling & doing group gatherings & fun activities to get to know each other or group participation to get these people out to do something than watch tv or zone. I think they still give a two bedroom apartment & some $ to get activities together. But they request 2 people to live & share sparing/brainstorming time. I've seen some bad free loaders on this stuff it's sad. You can still get part time jogs along with the cares team. It's easy as cake if you're fun & active or did PTA or student body activities. It would help you two alot on the move & transition to get acclimated if you got this job. They need tons of help like I said there real weak for what they get in the package. But that's a typical in Flagstaff or parts of Arizona. They need alot of good outside help to redirect moral & values of these people & to get them motivated & active.
Like I said I best wishes & I hope this tip helps you two.
Always, The China Doll- That's me

Old 09-10-2008, 03:48 PM

2,916 posts, read 5,140,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywise65 View Post
To anyone considering a move to Flagstaff. The town is an awful place to live. It has nothing to offer.

Stay away!!
Untrue, except perhaps for the cliche' individual who whines and complains about everything, and never contributes positively to the overall good of any city or state.

We lived there for about 10 years, and it was nothing but excellent! The weather was incredibly different from the deserts, and quite stimulating and refreshing. The people were friendly and accomodating. The entire quality of life is a whole 'nother world which begs for you to discover it and live it - up in a 7000' elevation!

Old 09-18-2008, 05:52 PM

Location: Honolulu, Hawaii 14 1/2yrs. Raised & 7yrs. *Just moved back to mainland the Arizona area wrong area
35 posts, read 273,596 times
Default Truly Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywise65 View Post

Stay away!!
Flagstaff along with the state of Arizona has issues that have a long over due coming of correcting the state itself. Flagstaff is a fun & pretty place to visit & that's abt. it. Unless you're a truck driver or a free spirited oakey or gypsy vagabond type not moving anytime soon-great place for you then. It's a true Route 66 kind of stopping place only.
I do demographics for a living & my analysis is done for this state & area. Just need to turn in my reports. Lot's of potential but No one Wants To Relift That Much Antagonistical & Uncorprehensiveness. It would be suicidal for any corporation unless it's a blue collar working industry.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:36 PM

314 posts, read 572,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I love your posting because you say it like it is! And I wholeheartedly agree that if someone is so miserable living where they are that all they can do is bash the place...then move somewhere else and stop the complaining!
Believe me, if the housing market hadn't crashed I would've been gone LONG ago. I'm pretty much stuck in this armpit until the market recovers some.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:24 PM

7 posts, read 18,006 times
Another consideration for those thinking of a move to Flagstaff for retirement...there is a huge amt of snow here, and snow removal at elevation with age can be a problem. Unless you have a snowblower or can pay someone else to do it for you, be mindful of this aspect of Flagstaff before planning to retire here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona