U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 09:01 PM

34 posts, read 121,095 times
Default What is Flagstaff like?

My daughter and I are thinking about moving to Flagstaff and I was wondering if we could find jobs there. Can anyone tell us about Flagstaff?
I have been reading the other posts about Payson and it sounds like Arizona has been invaded by California money like Austin has.The cost of living here is out of sight!
We are having traffic and affordable housing problems because of CA money just like you have described on this blog. I know I can't stay in Austin it is too hot and too expensive so I don't know where we are going.

Last edited by Ellen K; 01-12-2007 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: new info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 09:58 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,998,282 times
If Austin is too expensive for you (and I'm not sure just how expensive austin is) ..Then you're probably going to find Flagstaff OVERLY expensive.

But, that being said. I like Flagstaff. Its a very tourist-oriented place, but, theres nothing wrong with that. It seems like there's always something different going on - something neat. You're minutes away from natural beauty, and native american history. Particularly, my favorite place up north, the Wupatki Ruins, check them out!

Good place to live, if you don't mind a winter, and high housing costs.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:01 AM

101 posts, read 415,877 times
You won't find many places cheaper than Texas, even Austin. My father just moved to Cedar Park after a couple of years of looking around because Texas is so cheap compared to everywhere except Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama, etc. I was even going to move there because they are practically giving homes away, but I couldn't stand the humidity. Anyhow, I haven't seen a nicer area for cheaper and I wouldn't expect to find too many places cheaper that aren't hole in the wall impoverished areas.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:29 AM

54 posts, read 198,430 times
Flagstaff is my dream place to live, but I would have to some how win a million dollars to afford to live there...if you can afford it, Flagstaff is really a great place to live!

Old 01-13-2007, 06:51 PM

73 posts, read 285,726 times
its cold as hell up there. I just drove back from NAU to cottonwood. The snow is a mess up there also. But if you like cold weather lots of snow and cool summer you might just like it. Just visit before you move there because pay rate is very low in service jobs because of the college students. Alot better service jobs in sedona. THe drive is like 40 mins down oak creek canyon which always beatiful.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:03 AM

9 posts, read 58,042 times
Default Coming to see Flagstaff in april

Hi my husband and I are middle aged and looking at Flagstaff or Sedona as a possible retirement place. He is a professional driver and has delivered Starbuck's products to their stores for years.He hopes to find a simple delivery job like that. I am an artist and dream of living in Sedona. Now I know the quick reply is "HIGHLY PRICED". But here's the deal... we've been living in the Seattle, Wa area for about 28 years and we hate it here. The Calif crowd completely screwed this place up royal. We are gridlocked out of everything here. It certainly looks to me like Flagstaff and Sedona are reasonably priced compared to the crap we have going on here. I would rather live in a tiny one bedroom or studio with small town redrock Sedona that a 2 bedroom here in WATERLAND/MUDSVILLE USA. Our big problem is trying to get the adult kids here to get on board and move away with us. They lived here all their lives and don't know anything else. We hope that if we just make the move ourselves they will visit us and get excited about a new place.

Old 01-14-2007, 04:30 PM

Location: Southern California native, now a few miles from Lake Michigan
801 posts, read 2,345,212 times
Default To original poster...

Trust me, there are alot of ex-Californians in Flagstaff too.
Flag is a great place if you don't mind cold and snow.
Housing very expensive. Economy/jobs largely limited to railroad, N.A. University, and many low-paying service/tourism-oriented jobs.
For affordable housing and jobs, this is not the place you're looking for.

Old 01-14-2007, 04:39 PM

7,138 posts, read 8,924,510 times
I really enjoyed visiting Flagstaff, very beautiful for sure, as is Sedona, but of course very expensive and full of tourists. Not overly friendly either. There are some nice little communities further east, like PineTop and ShoLo if you like being in the mountains. Really beautiful area of Arizona as well.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:23 AM

437 posts, read 4,835 times
"But here's the deal... we've been living in the Seattle, Wa area for about 28 years and we hate it here. The Calif crowd completely screwed this place up royal. We are gridlocked out of everything here. It certainly looks to me like Flagstaff and Sedona are reasonably priced compared to the crap we have going on here. I would rather live in a tiny one bedroom or studio with small town redrock Sedona that a 2 bedroom here in WATERLAND/MUDSVILLE USA."

Some thoughts from one who lives near and has rented in Sedona:

1. Sedona, Prescott (especially), Flagstaff are Californicated to a certain extent.
2. Even a Sedona/Prescott/Flagstaff studio is costly. Watchout for those HOA fees too.
3. Sedona has artists, yes, but a fair share of them are not needing to work to survive.
4. I hear many Sedona young people complain of boredom. Not all, but most. Sedona has many retirees of abundant means.
5. The Oak Creek area (not same place as VOC) is better than Sedona IMO. Good luck finding a place there.
6. The Village of Oak Creek (VOC) has townhomes that might fit your bill. You might like the village.
7. Jerome, AZ is a small, old mining town with just enough funkiness to hold sway for artistic people. Visit Jerome and check it out.
8. Sedona's location is OK. Shuttles to Sky Harbor for flights. Getting to the I-17 to drive north & south in AZ is pretty easy. You will find traffic in Sedona, but nothing like where you are now. The general area here is a joy traffic-wise after the Seattle/LA/OC areas.
9. Little paying employment in Sedona/Village of Oak Creek (VOC) - most people travel to & from Cottonwood, AZ where they live to work in Sedona in mostly service jobs, or as part of their county employment. More than half of Sedona workers are Cottonwood/Cornville/Clarkdale residents.
10. Also checkout the town of Clarkdale.
11. You will like being a relatively short drive to Prescott, AZ.
12. Checkout the 'green belt' area around Page Springs - it's nice.
13. Cottonwood, CA is an alternative - close to all places mentioned.
14. If you like a real winter with snow - Flagstaff. Flag is a major east/west crossroad for truckers and railways. The location is excellent for jumping on the interstate to head west to CA/NE, and to Santa Fe east. You'll like Santa Fe/Taos if artistically inclined. I love SF for the great food places.
Best of luck to you & yours finding a better life here. I liked it less here at first, but I've come to see some attributes, albeit the summers here are tough outside the places at higher elevations.
ps. Truck drivers can always get work here. Lots of trucks. If I can be of more help, just ask.

Last edited by brian_2; 01-15-2007 at 09:53 AM..

Old 01-15-2007, 12:46 PM

437 posts, read 4,835 times
I should proofread for misspellings and mediocre punctuation, but I don't. I'm sorry folks. I've forgotten much of what I learned in grade school and college.

Correction:

"excellent for jumping on the interstate to head west to CA/NE, and to Santa Fe east"

Should read:

"excellent for jumping on the interstate to head west to CA/NW (northwest), and to Santa Fe east"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona