U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 03:05 PM

263 posts, read 668,453 times
Question Are there any good trout fishing areas near flagstaff?

I've always gone to the east side (forest lakes, showlow, strawberry) to fish. I never seen any lakes in Flag except mormon and mary that are swampy looking, at least the one or two times I went. Not ever sure if there are fish in those things.

I'd prefer a lake, but don't mind a creek as long as it's walkable like christopher creek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 07:36 PM

1,561 posts, read 4,043,361 times
I've never fished there, but Ashurst Lake might be worth a look.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
I've never fished there, but Ashurst Lake might be worth a look.

Thanks. Doesn't look as good as Willow Springs near forest lakes. WS lake has a little shop and boat rentals. Looking at this lake from google maps looks like it's not so hot...I'll try to check out next time i'm in Flag i guess.

Ashurst Lake

Old 04-21-2009, 06:58 PM

15,858 posts, read 18,609,065 times
Ashurst always seems to be muddy and windy but usually has some trout. Other lakes are Kinnikinic (prob spelled wrong) and, of course, Lake Mary. Kinnikinic is a fairly nice place, but fishing usually sucks and the road is a frame buster. You go to L. Mary for northerns - at least I do. Upper L. Mary had good water last year, but I haven't checked on it this year. Lower L. Mary has trout but often low water. I like the Flagstaff side of the Rim because it is way less crowded than the area around Payson. You can still find many places where you can be all alone there. But because of fewer people, there are also fewer fish stocked, I think.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:42 PM

1,561 posts, read 4,043,361 times
I never fished for, let alone caught, one, but the Flagstaff-area northern pike fishery always fascinated me.

The other side of the northern coin, though, is in California. When I lived there, the attempts to eradicate northerns from Lake Davis - a trophy trout fishery - were often in the news. The game and fish folks poisoned the lake more than once with a bit hit to the local economy. In addition to Davis itself, there was (is?) fear that the voracious, predatory pike will get downstream and wreak havoc elsewhere, also.

If you catch a pike, call 1-888-DFG-CALTIP (1-888-334-2258) within 24 hours

Sorry for the topic drift, it just got me to thinking and remembering.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:08 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,287,414 times
Ashurst lake is way to touristy crowed over fished etc. Willow springs lake near the dam used to be really good. Bear lake is further in and also a option.
White horse lake south of williams maybe a option but it gets really crowded at times. JD lake further south of there is real small but in a fairly remote spot.
Big Lake used to be among my favorites but its getting over run as well. One year we went and paid the permit fees and went into the black river north and east of San Carlos up by the pumping station camped on the bank and fished from the tent. the area we were at was tree covered and pretty remote spot.
Kind of jumped around a bit but it may help you out.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush View Post
Ashurst lake is way to touristy crowed over fished etc. Willow springs lake near the dam used to be really good. Bear lake is further in and also a option.
White horse lake south of williams maybe a option but it gets really crowded at times. JD lake further south of there is real small but in a fairly remote spot.
Big Lake used to be among my favorites but its getting over run as well. One year we went and paid the permit fees and went into the black river north and east of San Carlos up by the pumping station camped on the bank and fished from the tent. the area we were at was tree covered and pretty remote spot.
Kind of jumped around a bit but it may help you out.

Big lake is awesome if you really want to catch some fish. I just don't want to head that far east. Bear canyon lake sucks. You're lucky if you catch a crawdad there. It's really nice fishing from the shore as there are overhangs and trees to shawdow you, just no fish. I always felt like there were too many boats on that lake as well....like it was really a hangout, not a good fishing hole. I'm not trying to catch next winter's dinner or anything, but i'd like a snag or two.

willow springs is my favorite if i stay in forest lakes area. but I'm wanting to stay near flag...not camping though....so it still seems ashurst might be best considering my desired location. Does Ashurst have trees to sit under? Or is it grassy and flat?

Old 04-22-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Ashurst always seems to be muddy and windy but usually has some trout. Other lakes are Kinnikinic (prob spelled wrong) and, of course, Lake Mary. Kinnikinic is a fairly nice place, but fishing usually sucks and the road is a frame buster. You go to L. Mary for northerns - at least I do. Upper L. Mary had good water last year, but I haven't checked on it this year. Lower L. Mary has trout but often low water. I like the Flagstaff side of the Rim because it is way less crowded than the area around Payson. You can still find many places where you can be all alone there. But because of fewer people, there are also fewer fish stocked, I think.

Yeah, is ashurst similar to lake mormon/marry in terms of terrain? I don't like those lakes at all.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:42 PM

15,858 posts, read 18,609,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec34 View Post
Yeah, is ashurst similar to lake mormon/marry in terms of terrain? I don't like those lakes at all.
Yes. They are both open, grassy etc, windy. So is Kinnikinic for that matter.

Tell you the truth, I am getting tired of fishing this state. They keep raising the fees, lowering the limits, setting up slots and such and the crowds grow and grow with no new places ever coming online. I prefer to go to Colorado. Like most things "Arizona", it was a lot better 30 years ago.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:19 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,287,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Yes. They are both open, grassy etc, windy. So is Kinnikinic for that matter.

Tell you the truth, I am getting tired of fishing this state. They keep raising the fees, lowering the limits, setting up slots and such and the crowds grow and grow with no new places ever coming online. I prefer to go to Colorado. Like most things "Arizona", it was a lot better 30 years ago.
I do agree fishing was better back then I hit Phoenix fall 1975 and the changes have been amazing. between Lake Pleasant and Bartlet they used to be a great place to go.
Now we have property in Montana and the high alpine lake fishing is hard to beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona