U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-08-2007, 08:53 AM

153 posts, read 786,246 times
Default Best and Worse of Living in Flagstaff??

I'll be retiring in a few years and am doing a lot of homework on different places I'd like to live.

I have visited several places in AZ, north and south, and for me, I keep coming back to Flagstaff. I know it gets cold in the winter, but hey, we get blasted here in KS too. In fact, I have been informed by those who live, or have lived in Flag, that the winters are not nearly as severe as what we get here in the plaines. The cold doesn't bother me at all and I love the beauty of Flag, the S.F. Peaks, the Ponderosa Pines, and the alpine climate...deep blue skies and fresh air.

Have been reading and hearing about the water shortage in Flag due to the reduction of snow levels for several winters now. And I realize that the snow is what Flag depends on for it's water supply. Is it as bad as I'm hearing?

Housing costs in Flag have risen, that I know too. If I rented, I would be able to spend around $1,000/mo, and if I decide to buy, I'd be looking at condos/etc., in the $250k range.

There used to be a place called Kit Carson park (I could have the name wrong) that had modular homes...is that place still there? Or, are there places that have senior housing at reduced costs?

As far as work....I would probably like to do some part-time office work, but not needing full time. Are jobs readily available at NAU, or Flagstaff Medical Center...or the city or county? What about W.L. Gore?

I know, I've asked a lot of questions...sorry. Just wanting input from those who are in the know and can shed some light on the topic for me.

Getting out and about during winter doesn't bother me at all...not after living and surviving the Kansas winters for several decades! LOL

Thanks for any advice you can give me on the pros and cons of living in Flag.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 03:52 AM

Default Hello? Anyone there?

Any opinions about Flag?

Old 04-10-2007, 10:27 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,842,382 times
Hi Kansaslady - I grew up in Kansas/Nebraska and moved to the Prescott area about 6 years ago. I love it here! Weather is great - no extremes like in Kansas. Flagstaff tends to be colder (but won't feel bad compared with Kansas) and windier (again, nothing like Kansas). The negative - be prepared for sticker shock. Housing costs in Arizona are much, much higher than Kansas, and Flagstaff is probably one of the priciest ($/sf) in the state. I think it will be pretty tough to find something in your price range in Flagstaff. A couple of other areas you may want to check out are Payson and Prescott Valley. You can actually buy a single family home in Prescott Valley for under $220k. Or rent a nice 1000+/- sf duplex for under $800. And I think Payson prices are similar. Weather at either town would be a little milder in the winter than Flagstaff (we have lows in the 20's, occasional snow) and a little warmer in the summer. Flagstaff hardly ever hits 90. Prescott and Payson will be mid 80's and 90's most of the summer.

I think you maybe haven't had many replies to your question because there have been several recent threads about Flagstaff. I think if you look on the next page or two of the AZ forum you'll find a ton of info about pros/cons of Flagstaff. Keep in mind, though, that alot of disgruntled residents use the boards to vent their gripes, so try to read between the lines to get the real picture. And come for a nice long visit at different times of the year. That's the only way to tell whether you want to relocate here or not. Personally, I love northern AZ. But be prepared for LOTS of other people that love it, too. The area is growing incredibly fast.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:06 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,842,382 times
PS: Just reread your question. You brought up a concern about water. Water is indeed a HUGE issue in northern AZ. If this drought pattern continues (and it sounds like it may due to this global warming thing), then the lack of snowfall coupled with the rapid growth definitely spells trouble. I remember visiting my grandma in Flagstaff in the winter during the 60's. One time, the snow was over the windows! Now it seems like heavy snowfalls (12") are a rarity in Flag. I think this past winter it snowed in Flag maybe 3 times that they got more than an inch or two. We drove past Lake Mary (the reservoir that supplies the water for Flag) last weekend. Here it is the time of year when it should be at it's highest level, and it's almost dry! IMHO, there is no easy solution to the water situation in northern AZ.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:29 AM

Default Thanks Gretchen!

I really appreciate your input/advice! It helps a lot. I have checked the various postings and didn't read anything about "senior" housing or the Kit Carson park I was curious about, so that is why I reposted about Flag.

I too am very concerned about the lack of water in AZ, and I understand that the cost of water will be over the top before long. I love the mountains in Flag, but am keeping an open mind as far as where I want to relocate to, if I do at all. Who knows, I may just end up staying right where I am. Lots of things to consider and I won't make any rash decisions.

I have visited both Payson and Prescott and Prescott Valley; also Cottonwood, Camp Verde, Sedona, Strawberry, Pine....etc. And I realize that the cost of housing has significantly risen over the last ten years. I didn't care too much for Cottonwood or Camp Verde. Sedona is beautiful, but the nickname of "Beverly Hills on the Rocks" is accurate.

The only thing I dislike the most about the area I am in now is the cold winters and the ice, but no place is perfect.

Thanks again!

Old 12-28-2007, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 60,752 times
Also the water issues in Flagstaff are being addressed by the AZ dept. of water resources, although some nearby towns are now hauling water, Flagstaff is a part of a different watershed. For long term answers contact the AZ department of Water Services, and they will give you an accurate answer.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 41,383 times
hello! My husband is going to retire from the Navy next june 2010..we have a 14 yr old and an 11 yr old..can someone please give me any information regarding schools for the children? any thing will be appreciated! thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona