Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 11:50 AM

648 posts, read 3,089,331 times

Advertisements

to each his own.....doesn't make my top 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 12:00 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Sedona, Arizona, 2 hours drive north from burgeoning Phoenix and 90 miles south of the Grand Canyon, lies amidst an ancient forest of juniper and pine, surrounded by the celebrated sculptured pinnacles and mystical vortexes of Arizona Red Rock Country

Sedona Arizona - Most Beautiful Place in America

How about that!!!
Sedona is quite nice, but there hundreds pf prettier places in the USA.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:50 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Sedona is quite nice, but there hundreds pf prettier places in the USA.
Please keep in mind that I was only posting the opinion of one particular publication - and I found it interesting.

I must say though that I am biased somewhat in that I grew up in Sedona (a VERY long time ago) and went to Mingus Union High School when it was in Jerome - a Ghost town. And there are several other communities we had to go through to pick up students - Clarkdale, Cottonwood - that we had to catch the bus at 5:15 AM every morning

It was an interesting time.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:43 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Sedona is attractive, but no longer beautiful. It's basically become shopping with a view. Houses all over the hillsides, malls, traffic, forest service fees, a polluted creek in a state park where once was a bucolic stream, apple orchard, horses (and free). No thanks. I guess newcomers are impressed, but Sedona is about the worst example of people and development destroying natural beauty in the state.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:17 PM

329 posts, read 1,275,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Sedona is attractive, but no longer beautiful. It's basically become shopping with a view. Houses all over the hillsides, malls, traffic, forest service fees, a polluted creek in a state park where once was a bucolic stream, apple orchard, horses (and free). No thanks. I guess newcomers are impressed, but Sedona is about the worst example of people and development destroying natural beauty in the state.
No, actually, Sedona is a community with homes for people to live in and shops and services for those folks and visitors. I am not quite sure what your description of a mall is but there are no malls here. Are we over developed?....yes to an extent but Sedona is still beautiful. Could they (whoever they are) have done a better job?....absolutely! But lets not write Sedona off all together. It is still a beautiful place in an amazing state. No place remains the same and those who knew it before are never happy with the changes.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:45 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolgirl51 View Post
No, actually, Sedona is a community with homes for people to live in and shops and services for those folks and visitors. I am not quite sure what your description of a mall is but there are no malls here. Are we over developed?....yes to an extent but Sedona is still beautiful. Could they (whoever they are) have done a better job?....absolutely! But lets not write Sedona off all together. It is still a beautiful place in an amazing state. No place remains the same and those who knew it before are never happy with the changes.
The last statements in your post remind me of a situation regarding a very knowledgeable poster on a South Pacific board I used to frequent regularly. Whenever a discussion about Bora Bora came up he never failed to comment on how the place had been "ruined" because it had been overbuilt since the days he first went there (when it was essentially unknown to the world of tourism) and that as a result of the increase in building (and prices) he could no longer stomach going there.

The problem with his observations (however accurate they were - and I'm sure they WERE accurate) was that for anyone who had NOT seen it "back then" they didn't have this "undiscovered paradise" standard to hold it up to (as he did) and so could only judge it against other places they had seen. So, by most peoples' standards, the place was still a paradise - and (compared to places like Hawaii) hardly crowded at all. So, in the end, it's all a matter of comparisons.

In short, your final statements are right on target. Personally, I think Sedona is an amazing place - and, as I have already mentioned, a place I hold up alongside Bora Bora. This is as high a compliment I can give a location, since I consider Bora Bora to be the most spectacularly beautiful location I have ever been (though One Foot Island - a moto (islet) of Aitutaki - is my single most favorite specific little spot on the planet).

Ken

Old 10-27-2009, 06:29 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
The last statements in your post remind me of a situation regarding a very knowledgeable poster on a South Pacific board I used to frequent regularly. Whenever a discussion about Bora Bora came up he never failed to comment on how the place had been "ruined" because it had been overbuilt since the days he first went there (when it was essentially unknown to the world of tourism) and that as a result of the increase in building (and prices) he could no longer stomach going there.

The problem with his observations (however accurate they were - and I'm sure they WERE accurate) was that for anyone who had NOT seen it "back then" they didn't have this "undiscovered paradise" standard to hold it up to (as he did) and so could only judge it against other places they had seen. So, by most peoples' standards, the place was still a paradise - and (compared to places like Hawaii) hardly crowded at all. So, in the end, it's all a matter of comparisons.

In short, your final statements are right on target. Personally, I think Sedona is an amazing place - and, as I have already mentioned, a place I hold up alongside Bora Bora. This is as high a compliment I can give a location, since I consider Bora Bora to be the most spectacularly beautiful location I have ever been (though One Foot Island - a moto (islet) of Aitutaki - is my single most favorite specific little spot on the planet).

Ken
Can't speak for Bora Bora, but I stand by my position that Sedona is the worst case of development over-running natural beauty that I have ever experienced - certainly in Arizona. To say it is still nice in spite of the changes rings rather hollow IMO. Destruction is destruction and those who came later than I did lost vistas and experiences that I had and that is not right no matter how you nuance it. Your logic could be applied to all our "sacred" places I suppose. Why not allow condos and a resort at the foot of Yosemite Falls? It would still be lovely for those who had never seen it before. And it would be great for those whose idea of experiencing nature is looking at it through the window of an upscale restaurant.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:43 PM

329 posts, read 1,275,884 times
Quote:
Can't speak for Bora Bora, but I stand by my position that Sedona is the worst case of development over-running natural beauty that I have ever experienced - certainly in Arizona. To say it is still nice in spite of the changes rings rather hollow IMO. Destruction is destruction and those who came later than I did lost vistas and experiences that I had and that is not right no matter how you nuance it. Your logic could be applied to all our "sacred" places I suppose. Why not allow condos and a resort at the foot of Yosemite Falls? It would still be lovely for those who had never seen it before. And it would be great for those whose idea of experiencing nature is looking at it through the window of an upscale restaurant.
You know Ponderosa we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Of course no one wants to see condos at the base of Yosemite Falls. We are all so lucky that Yosemite and many other wonderful places have been made into National Parks. And we all would have benefited had the Sedona area had been made in to a National Park as well....but it wasn't and we can't change that now. What residents of Sedona can do is elect a City Council who will treat this area with the respect and care it deserves from this point forward. At this time we have two that do and the rest that don't. It is a problem that can only be fixed by the voters and qualified individuals that stand up to run.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:56 PM

426 posts, read 1,306,190 times
Quote:
Big dittos.

My then girlfriend and I visited Sedona back in the summer of 2002. I remembered it being a very pretty place and the shopping being the second thing to do/see.

We visited with my wife's Grandmother and Aunt three weeks ago. Other than the pretty rocks, Sedona didn't seem like the same small town that I first visited in 2002. The major road construction on the way in from I-17 was a major turn-off and the endless number of shopping centers that are open now.

I visited Jerome about two weeks later and plan on suggesting to family that we visit Jerome over Sedona. It is a lot less crowded and has pretty views and able to see the same red rocks off in the distant.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:11 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
As an avid outdoors person, I don't get the "ruined" comments. Yeah, there's a big town there now. So what ? There are endless hiking trails to get you into the back country, completely away from civilization and where the real beauty is. Of course that does require actually getting out of your car to appreciate.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona