Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 05:25 PM

533 posts, read 1,459,053 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: unnecessary
The 89 is a 2 lane road and can get a bit messy, but it's hardly "death alley". Sure, there are accidents and issues because of the sheer volume of traffic, and there's very little room to manuever if a situation gets dicey, but it's not exactly an obstacle course. Just gotta "keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel" as Jim would say.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-24-2009 at 11:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 04:05 AM

268 posts, read 1,197,786 times
In your price range, I would stick to Sedona, especially West Sedona, just for convenience sake. Also, widen your search beyond just what is on Craigslist. The local paper, The Red Rock News, is available online and always has a good selection of rentals to choose from. Consider too going through one of the property rental companies. Most of them are very good, and very professional.

In so far as your kids go, when talking schools, again I would have to go with Sedona. I don't have children, but do work with people that grew up in Sedona and Cottonwood and now have kids of their own. I can't honestly say that any of them have nice things to say about the schools in Cottonwood. For activities, I'm not sure you really have to drive all the way to Flag just to find things for your kids to do. The Boys and Girls Club of Northern Arizona has a location in West Sedona. To the best of my knowledge they have sports, dance, and art programs for young children all the way up to teenagers. I would suggest contacting them to get more detailed information.

Regarding the drive to Flagstaff, I echo the comments of it not being horrible or particularly unsafe. It's certainly a scenic drive, but would I want to make the trip on a regular basis? Not really. Flag to me is just one of those places that unless you have no other choice, you don't bother going there. You might find that even going only twice a week, the fun factor will wear off very quickly.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:52 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,898,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merayk View Post
The job is in Sedona but I will be driving to Flagstaff for the kids for gymnastics, dance school and activities. I searched on google but could not find any activities for the kids in Sedona or Cottonwood for sports or dance.
You might check into the Prescott, Prescott Valley area for kids' activities. There will be less winter weather to deal with.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:58 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,202,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbadhair View Post
I work in sedona at a resort and live in cottonwood which is like a 15 mins drive to sedona. It is alot cheaper to live in cottonwood and you would save alot of money live there.

THere are alot of homes and town homes you can rent in this area for $600 and $800 that are nice.

Sedona i am sure has nice school it is a rich community. Sedona is mainly mansion and some poor homes mix together, not really any middle class homes.

THe village of oak creek has lots of condos, town homes, and homes for sale and rent that are more middle and working class people. I actually like it better in the village because sedona can get really crowd on the 89a during the day.
Where do you find townhomes for $600, when I was looking a year ago of so there was nothing under $1000, a friend got a 2 bedroom patio home for $850 which the landlord had reduced as they couldn't sell it,

I'd say for around $900 to $1,000 you'd get a nice place in Cottonwood, only aabout 20-25 minutes from West Sedona...the village is fine too, just not as popular for living for most but some love it.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merayk View Post
The job is in Sedona but I will be driving to Flagstaff for the kids for gymnastics, dance school and activities. I searched on google but could not find any activities for the kids in Sedona or Cottonwood for sports or dance. So I assumed I will be driving about 2 times a week to Flagstaff. We are still waiting on the last decision and the minute we hear from the company, we will be on our way to visit.
I would think you could find some activities for the kids in Sedona but don't quote me. I doubt many parents drive up to Flag. weekly for that kind of thing....it can easily take an hour despite what other people will say.

I certainly wouldn't want to be driving up there twice a week in the winter....it's a pretty big elevation change and snow storms can come as early as Oct. (I've been in one at that time of year).

I live in Sedona so if you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Oh fer pete's sake, it's not that bad.

After you drive it the first couple of times, you'll hardly notice it. However, the snow and tourist traffic are real problems and could slow you down considerably. I'd figure on allowing an hour to drive that section of road (23 miles I believe).
I agree on all accounts...it always takes me an hour, you just can't go faster than the guy in front of you as it is 2 lanes with no passing, and 99% of the time, it's someone who's in awe of the view and going way below the speed limit.

One thing that can sometimes make it a little crazy/scary is the drivers coming the other way who are passing when there is no passing and cause accidents....I've seen some really crazy things in that canyon.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansPerspective View Post
You might check into the Prescott, Prescott Valley area for kids' activities. There will be less winter weather to deal with.
For the life of me I wouldn't make that drive twice a week with kids, it takes WAY too long for regular activities.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:17 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,861,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
For the life of me I wouldn't make that drive twice a week with kids, it takes WAY too long for regular activities.
I agree also. A drive from Sedona to PV, would take 90 minutes each direction. That is 3 hours of driving and total of over 130 miles a day. That is insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I agree on all accounts...it always takes me an hour, you just can't go faster than the guy in front of you as it is 2 lanes with no passing, and 99% of the time, it's someone who's in awe of the view and going way below the speed limit.

One thing that can sometimes make it a little crazy/scary is the drivers coming the other way who are passing when there is no passing and cause accidents....I've seen some really crazy things in that canyon.
89A going to Flagstaff is a beautiful drive but at the same time, it can be a frustrating drive. People pass when they are not supposed to and then the gapers who stare at the sights and drive 30MPH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona