U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-19-2010, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 10,240 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

Can anyone tell me any towns/cities in the West that are similar to Flagstaff, but are more affordable to live in?

Thanks for the responses!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 04:37 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,110,049 times
what is it about Flag you'd like to find somewhere else?....the school, the altitude, the size, the.....what?....

very quickly, I think of Logan, UT, Cedar City, UT, Medford, OR, Grants Pass, OR, Ashland, OR (may not be cheaper), Bellingham, WA, Pocatello, ID, Couer D'Alene, ID, Bozeman, MT, Laramie, WY, Las Cruces, NM, Carson City, NV, Bishop, CA...........

Old 02-19-2010, 05:13 PM

2 posts, read 10,240 times
I like all those towns you listed. To answer your question, I was just wondering if there were any towns or cities in the West that was like Flag (in relation to population size, climate, and scenery), but are more affordable.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:16 PM

857 posts, read 691,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
what is it about Flag you'd like to find somewhere else?....the school, the altitude, the size, the.....what?....

very quickly, I think of Logan, UT, Cedar City, UT, Medford, OR, Grants Pass, OR, Ashland, OR (may not be cheaper), Bellingham, WA, Pocatello, ID, Couer D'Alene, ID, Bozeman, MT, Laramie, WY, Las Cruces, NM, Carson City, NV, Bishop, CA...........
The cost of living depends on your needs. A single person renting a room can get something for $450 just about anywhere. People who eat organic food pay 2X-3X as much as those who do not, and some towns do not have Superwallmarts, Costco, or Kroger. Some towns are walkable and bikable while others are not. Some towns have crime and meth problems that you won't want your children involved with:

Also:

Durango, CO

Boulder, CO

Salida, CO

South Lake Tahoe, CA

Mammoth Lakes, CA

Ashland, OR (already mentioned)

Eugene, OR

Santa Fe, NM

Old 03-08-2010, 11:05 AM

2,934 posts, read 3,556,585 times
Mammoth Lakes, CA is insanely expensive. You can't get a shack there for under $500,000. It's also FAR more desirable than Flagstaff. Mammoth is very small, very rich, very beautiful... but it is not afforadable for the average person.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Mammoth Lakes, CA is insanely expensive. You can't get a shack there for under $500,000. It's also FAR more desirable than Flagstaff. Mammoth is very small, very rich, very beautiful... but it is not afforadable for the average person.
If one wants to live near Mammoth for its natural beauty, skiing, mountain biking, and trail running, you can rent or buy in nearby communities such as Crowley Lake and Bishop. A 4 wheel drive car would be required, of course, for commuting up the hill from Bishop and Crowley Lake up to Mammoth.

On the other hand, in driving through Mammoth a few weeks ago, I noted several new apartments or condos Southwest of Minaret Plaza. How much would these rent for?

I think life is short, so if one can find a way to somehow make it in a place w/ such a high quality of life like Mammoth, then go for it.

Overall, the entire Eastern Sierra corridor between Ridgecrest and Reno could have a lower cost of living, with many new businesses such as Target, Wallmart, chain restaurants, and expanded tourism. I suspect that regulations from the Environmentalists, Forest Service, and local City Councils are preventing new businesses, but I really don't know.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:55 PM

88 posts, read 139,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCVDUR View Post
The cost of living depends on your needs. A single person renting a room can get something for $450 just about anywhere. People who eat organic food pay 2X-3X as much as those who do not, and some towns do not have Superwallmarts, Costco, or Kroger. Some towns are walkable and bikable while others are not. Some towns have crime and meth problems that you won't want your children involved with:

Also:

Durango, CO

Boulder, CO

Salida, CO

South Lake Tahoe, CA

Mammoth Lakes, CA

Ashland, OR (already mentioned)

Eugene, OR

Santa Fe, NM

I would say avoid Durango. Wages low, cost of living higher.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of the Desert View Post
I would say avoid Durango. Wages low, cost of living higher.
I've researched this and almost moved to Durango twice, and may still decide to move there. For a renter, Durango is about 15% cheaper than Flagstaff, due to lower apartment rents (based on The Durango Herald), and lower food and other costs due to City Market (Kroger) and Superwallmart (Flag doesn't have a Superwallmart food center, and erroneously considers itself a liberal exclusive community, resulting in a scarcity of affordable housing, and big box stores).

Durango is a great deal for anyone struggling in Flagstaff, w/ just ~4% unemployment, and plenty of tourist jobs hiring for their spring and summer seasons. Flagstaff is ~8.8% and rising (Dec 2009 stats). Unlike Durango and SW Colorado, Flagstaff fails to aggressively market itself as a SUMMER tourist destination. Flagstaff is right next to the Grand Canyon and Sedona, and boasts some of the best mountain biking in the US. They can sell themselves as a summer tourist destination, but overall, Flagstaff doesn't appreciate the value of tourists to their economy to the extent as Durango.

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 03-11-2010 at 12:37 AM..

Old 11-11-2012, 09:39 PM

4 posts, read 5,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianRunner View Post
I like all those towns you listed. To answer your question, I was just wondering if there were any towns or cities in the West that was like Flag (in relation to population size, climate, and scenery), but are more affordable.
Try Williams, Sedona, Cottonwood, Payson or Prescott, AZ.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:17 AM

14,213 posts, read 17,790,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredoconn View Post
Try Williams, Sedona, Cottonwood, Payson or Prescott, AZ.
I don't see most of those (Sedona, Cottonwood or Prescott) as being similar in climate, as they are all quite a bit lower. And, Sedona and Prescott are not particularly cheap, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona