Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 09:42 PM

7 posts, read 22,147 times

Advertisements

I'm in a really bad place right now and I've heard that these areas are more wholesome. I am a full-time RV'er, so can go anywhere... I need to work, but will do anything. I have a bachelor's degree, but left the corporate world. I want a minimum wage job, do the work, then go home. My spirit has been broken and I need to rebuild!

Any feedback on inexpensive areas to live outside of the Sedona area... 20-30 miles out is okay. RV parks with full hook-ups preferred.

What about getting a service type job... restaurants, department stores, grocery stores... is it hard to find a job in one of those?

Thanks greatly!

--carlos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 12:12 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,707 times
I have done a lot of RVing in the past myself.
Flagstaff is a very noisy community due to the railroad switching yard located there. It's hard to escape the noise.
Jobs are tough all over AZ right now with the economy. And Flagstaff has a lot of college kids there that will work for for very little to have some income which also makes it tough.
Every so many years they get a pretty good dumping of snow amounting to several feet too. Living in an RV can be a little tough in the winter there.
Sedona is rather unique in nature and pretty expensive to stay in. The economy depends a lot on the tourists.
You may wish to consider Prescott where we currently are. 5400' average, some snowfall. We have a better overall climate than Sedona or Flagstaff. and there are several RV parks and trailer parks in the area with full hookups in the tri cities area.
Employment is picking up here too and there are many service jobs in the area with lots of resturants locally. We also get a lot of tourists in the summer. Fry's groceries pays pretty well and one of there stores is putting on help and just finishing a big remodel locally.
I think this area would make a better choice for you personally.

Last edited by keninaz; 06-02-2010 at 01:21 PM..

Old 06-02-2010, 07:11 PM

7 posts, read 22,147 times
thanks so much for the reply and information! i'll take a look there, and if there is something i can't find, would you mind if i dropped you an message?

--c

Old 06-02-2010, 07:13 PM

Not at all.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:52 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
I have had three sets of friends who have stayed at 'Camelot RV Park' in Cottonwood, for long periods of time, and they have all liked it very much. It is very reasonable (maybe $350 per month or so) and is also quiet. It is around 25 minutes away from Sedona and has places like Home Depot and Walmart (as well as the Sedona resorts and restaurants) to work at.

The land here is magical and Mingus Mountain as well as the Sedon Red Rocks can be quite healing.

Prescott is quite a bit cooler and I personally would not want to be in a much cooler place in the winter in an RV.

Good luck to you !

Old 06-04-2010, 12:01 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
The Camelot RV Park is a great option but when you say "Sedona and inexpensive" in the same sentence, that's an oxymoron. Any kind of Work in any area of the Verde Valley is very difficult to find now.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:18 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
The Camelot RV Park is a great option but when you say "Sedona and inexpensive" in the same sentence, that's an oxymoron. Any kind of Work in any area of the Verde Valley is very difficult to find now.
Sedona restaurants and resorts are hiring like crazy right now. My neice has had five interviews this week and any of them would have hired her. She did decide on one place and is pretty happy about it. Wal Mart is also hiring people because, I guess, they are getting ready for another remodel and setup. That would only last a few months, I suppose, but if a person did a good job they'd likely get hired on permanently. Wal Mart actually pays pretty good here and has decent benefits.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:35 PM

Did I read something wrong in that post?
Wal Mart does not exist in Sedona
The last time I was there a couple of years back they were proud of that fact.
You have to drive to Cottonwood to go to Wal Mart, some 17 miles South of the Town of Sedona.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:39 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Sedona restaurants and resorts are hiring like crazy right now. My neice has had five interviews this week and any of them would have hired her. She did decide on one place and is pretty happy about it. Wal Mart is also hiring people because, I guess, they are getting ready for another remodel and setup. That would only last a few months, I suppose, but if a person did a good job they'd likely get hired on permanently. Wal Mart actually pays pretty good here and has decent benefits.
Not to be contrary, but I wouldn't paint such a rosy job picture for the Verde Valley job market. I've been a manager at the premier resort property in Sedona for over 10 years now and I certainly wouldn't say we are "hiring like crazy right now". There is some limited hiring in the resturant outlets and in the engineering/HVAC operations but nothing that could be considered "normal hiring flow" of times gone by. A read of the various want adds in the local papers such as Verde Independant, Journal, or Red Rock News will attest to this. AZDesertBrat, your neice sounds like a very well qualified candidate for the position she is looking for.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:12 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Not to be contrary, but I wouldn't paint such a rosy job picture for the Verde Valley job market. I've been a manager at the premier resort property in Sedona for over 10 years now and I certainly wouldn't say we are "hiring like crazy right now". There is some limited hiring in the resturant outlets and in the engineering/HVAC operations but nothing that could be considered "normal hiring flow" of times gone by. A read of the various want adds in the local papers such as Verde Independant, Journal, or Red Rock News will attest to this. AZDesertBrat, your neice sounds like a very well qualified candidate for the position she is looking for.
I was just going by the ads I see in the paper.

I am a "very qualified" candidate for jobs too but unfortunately nobody wants "old ladies" no matter HOW qualified they are. It's frustrating, to say the least. I've worked in hotels and restaurants for over 30 years, including management, but it doesn't seem to help. At this point I am 'desperate' enough to even consider being a Wal Mart greeter. Sigh. I sometimes think that, because I am retirement age, people figure they can hire me and then I'll decide to fully retire. Sad thing is I will never be able to do that and if I found an employer that was really good to work for I'd stay till I drop dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona