U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-07-2010, 07:51 PM

36 posts, read 65,416 times

Advertisements

Hi Advocate4
I don't know if you have settled outside of Williams yet or not, but in case you still needed info, I do have a little for you. We haul our own water. Just easier and cheaper that way. We have a 500 gallon tank on a small trailer and when we want to go get water to top off our 5,000 gal. tank at home, we just hook up the trailer and head for town. However, many people around us get their water delivered, just for their convenience. The water trucks travel all year round! If there is heavy heavy snowfall, they may not make it out until it has melted off some, but they are very good about getting to everyone even in the winter months. The best way to do it, and not have to worry about running low during the winter months, is to keep your tank topped off all the time. If you get a 5,000 gal. tank (and I'm not sure how big your underground tank is), then you will have PLENTY of water to last just you, your wife, and your housefhold pets for at LEAST a couple of months. Hauling water is foreign to alot of people who live in the city, but it is really no problem at all. We love the fact that we have 5,000 gallons of water at our disposal, and never worry about the city either rationing water or their wells/pumps/lines going down.....we are kind of self-sufficient in that way. You may want to think about catching rain water too. It is GREAT for using on your lawn, flowers, trees, etc. during the summer! We have a 350 gallon tank right below our back deck. When it rains, or when the snow melts, it fill up with water in about 30 minutes just from the rain gutters and downspout pouring into the tank. We have a faucet at the bottom of the tank with a hose connected, and have free 'heavenly' water for all our plants and lawn at all times. We live outside of Williams also. Good luck and welcome to northern AZ!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 11:50 AM

3 posts, read 10,474 times
Default Looking to purchase land....

My wife and I are currently looking to purchase 36 acre N/W of williams about 30 mi. The property is about 10 miles of HWY 64. We are also wondering about the water hauling. The property I know does not have anything on it. Just raw land. So, from what I can tell, we need to order a 2500-5000g tank to put in the ground, a wet pump to pull it out of the tank, all the water lines, the insulated heat pump box, and a rain water catch tank. We also need a septic system put it, and a duel solar/windmill power supply too include fees to pay a construction crew to install all mentioned. Has anyone done all this and can you give us some basic figures, too include a 350+/-g water tank trailer. I have a 89' Ramcharger 4x4 that I would be using to haul the water tank trailer. We havent purchased yet but are seriously considering it. Thank you for all info.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:15 PM

Default Above ground water storage tank...

[mod cut-- new members may not post links]
Is there a preference from above ground or under for the water tanks. I don't have the knowledge of whats better but if a box was built around the water tank to protect it from the environment, I would think it would be fine, or does it get too cold? Could someone enlighten me on this as well.

Also, technology! What does everyone do about INTERNET? Do they use a cell phone as a hot spot, or satellite INTERNET, or...? Thanks

Last edited by observer53; 05-23-2012 at 02:05 PM..

Old 05-24-2012, 01:38 PM

We have electricity on our ranch, so do not need to deal with the expense of setting up solar. As far as the water tank, 5,000 gallon galvanized tanks are the best. And ours sits above ground. The metal tanks keep the water nice and cool in the summer, but do not freeze in the winter.....5,000 gal. of water in these tanks will not freeze and we get down into the 'teens' during the winter....just wrap your pipes in the pumphouse or keep a heat light going in there....no problem at all. Not sure of the cost nowadays for a water hauling trailer with a 350 gallon hauling tank on it. Our hauler holds a 500 gallon tank. We pull the water trailer with a 90-something Isuzu Trooper...pulls fine and we keep it hooked up to the trailer all the time for when we want to go get water, as that is its only purpose around our ranch....time to get water, just jump in the 4x4 and go to the water station. Easy Peasy! As far as a rain catchment system, we have several on our property and during the summer monsoons and the winter snowmelt, those tanks sure do fill up FAST! We have rain gutters all around the house, the barn and the workshop.....these gutters have downspouts that empty right into smaller holding tanks.....also metal......one is 350 gal., and the other 2 hold less. We use the rain water strictly for our lawn, flowers, fruit trees, etc....also for the stock tanks. Works great. We have spigots coming out of the tanks and hoses on them....and just water wherever you need to. Again, pretty easy and wow, do the plants/trees ever do great being watered with rain water throughout the year! I have seen many of the plastic tanks being used (black or green large holding tanks), but we have heard that they do collect algae pretty easy (not sure if it's true), and that they also get pretty warm in the summer.....never used the plastic, so not sure on this...just what we've heard. The metal tanks do a great job and last forever. Ours, as I said, is above ground....looks nice and is hidden among the trees. As far as internet, you can always get dial-up! Tons of free access #'s out of Flagstaff once you sign up for a plan. If Century Link (phone company) has wi-fi available in your area, it's as simple as running a landline phone line to the house.......broadband through your cell or satellite is also an option. Again, on whether above ground or below ground tanks are better....I don't think there is a real difference other than your opinion of seeing a big tank on your property....ours is nice looking and sits beside a metal pumphouse and looks quite 'country.' Our rain water tanks have never even frozen in the cold winters, and they do not have 5,000 gallons in them as our tank for the house does. Good luck.....the water up here is excellent!.....if you've ever had to deal with minerals eating up your faucets and water heater and toilet tank, you'll know what I mean......the water out of the wells around Williams and Ash Fork and Seligman are pure low-mineral water.....beats the heck out of chlorine tasting city water.....and a private well we had in the Verde Valley had so many minerals in it, we went through faucets and toilets and water heaters like crazy....doesn't happen here.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:01 AM

Thanks for the info. I imagine dial-up wouldnt be available either since it is 10 miles off 64 and I don't beleive there are any houses out there that are on reg power for a phone line. I pretty sure they are all Solar/Wind power. Still curious about the cost of a septic sys. I will try getting the phone numbers from some of the companies that does the survice. Also we were recently told that getting an off-grid land and/or house is very difficult to finance. Thia information came from a realter. Can anyone back this info up or can you get a place financed just the same as any other place through a bank or loan agency? Thanks....

Old 06-11-2012, 01:10 AM

I have been told that the installation of a conventional septic system, including the tank, is around $5,000. Our septic system was in place when we moved in here, so this is not first hand knowledge. I guess the price for installing the system can be higher or lower, depending on the type and size of tank you choose (concrete, fiberglass, plastic and the size being anywhere from around 300 to 1,000 gallons). As far as availability of financing for an off-grid property, I don't have any information on that.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,432 times
i have a question
about treating the stored water what is needed to keep it safe when stored in a 5000 gal tank
and if im understanding rite the water is about $10.00 a thousand gal if you haul it yourself

Old 08-26-2013, 12:19 PM

56 posts, read 45,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2054 View Post
i have a question
about treating the stored water what is needed to keep it safe when stored in a 5000 gal tank
and if im understanding rite the water is about $10.00 a thousand gal if you haul it yourself
The water is all chlorinated from the water haul points around here so there is no real need to treat it. You do however, need to store it in a tank that is not clear or you will end up with algae. If your tank is clear, paint it black. Something that you can also do (that keeps algae growth down) is to put about a quart of distilled white vinegar for every 2,500 gallons in your tank every time you fill it. You won't taste the vinegar but it will prohibit biological growth in the tank.

The price sounds about right, I think the State's Corporate Commission sets the maximum price at $.01 per gallon for water right now. On the other hand you can pay to have it hauled and when you factor in wear and tear on a vehicle and half a day's time, it's well worth it. I pay $80 to have 2,500 gallons delivered. 2,500 gallons last me an average of four weeks, with laundry three or four days. I have an LG front loader that doesn't use anything for water... I also never have a problem getting delivery, despite the weather. And I live down a dirt road. My water guy is here within hours from when I call him.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:35 AM

538 posts, read 283,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiefied View Post
[mod cut-- new members may not post links]
Is there a preference from above ground or under for the water tanks. I don't have the knowledge of whats better but if a box was built around the water tank to protect it from the environment, I would think it would be fine, or does it get too cold? Could someone enlighten me on this as well.

Also, technology! What does everyone do about INTERNET? Do they use a cell phone as a hot spot, or satellite INTERNET, or...? Thanks
Hi all. As a rural homesteader in the high desert cowboy country north of Williams for the past eight years, I figure I can offer my $0.03. Maybe some can even profit from our ongoing learning curve.

Our 36 acres had no improvements when we put our manufactured home up. We had a 2400-gallon underground cistern and a pump house installed. We also have three above ground water tanks (1500 gal, 2500 gal, 2800 gal). We have a Norweco alternative septic system that cost us about $23K back in '05. In those Wild West real estate bubble days Coconino County had arbitrarily raised the state standards and virtually no one was "perking". Very few homesteaders got away with installing the much cheaper standard septic. I'm hearing of many more standard systems going in these days. Go figure.

We started with a 2000 watt solar array and got an Outback inverter and charge controller with two very large Crown forklift batteries (~$25K) We also have a Subaru inverter series gas generator for backup AC. A couple years ago, we added another 2000 watts of PV and another Outback charge controller (~$15K?). Everything but the panels are installed in an out building that was a nightmare to configure to keep the County inspectors happy. But that's another story . . . .

Our situation is problematic in that we live either 14 miles due west of Hwy. 64, involving a precipitous drop into Cataract Canyon, or 24 miles via Espee Rd on a generally flat drive (much better if pulling a trailer or driving a big truck). We used to have a handful of commercial water haulers deliver water to us but over the years a few have left the business and the rest refuse to drive out to us anymore. Most water haulers prefer the easy money to be made delivering to homes near town or just a few miles off of Hwy. 64. So, we bought an old fire truck that hauls 1800 gallons and a dual-axle trailer with a 525 gallon tank and transfer pump.

To address the above ground vs. below ground cistern question: it depends. If your home is close to the highway you can count on the commercial water haulers and they can deliver it into either type of tank. If you are on your own (as we are) it is much easier to gravity feed the water from your trailer or haul tank down into your underground cistern. I put a $400 transfer pump onto my trailer so that I can also shoot the water up into our above ground tanks, too.

If you build many miles out the smartest way to go is to have a large capacity cistern (10,000+ gallons) and an integrated catchment system designed into your home. If I had it to do over again, I would have insisted on that for our home instead of putting it in after-the-fact.

Frankly, I find water hauling to be a pain in the ass. I usually combine water runs with a few other chores like filling gas cans for the generator, dumping trash at the transfer station, and grocery shopping. All you city folks are missing out on all the fun out here in the boonies!

There are no land line phones. We use Verizon cell phones and even put up two passive repeaters on both ends of the house to boost our signal. We have two satellite dishes. One is the HughsNet dish for our Internet modem. The other is for our Dish Network television service. We also recently got a Verizon portable wi-fi "hockey puck" for back-up Internet. It is good for when we're traveling but only has a 4 gig allowance per month -- so no Netflix streaming or YouTubing.

So, even though it can be expensive and labor intensive we have all of the modern amenities of city living without the crowds, noise, and stress. We also have much, much better views.

Last edited by Canyon Cat; 08-30-2013 at 11:44 AM..

Old 10-12-2013, 05:00 PM

220 posts, read 94,979 times
I read recently where a guy bought property in Valle and learned he needed a sewage treatment plant(his words) at around forty grand. Big tanks and a setup to catch run off from the roof would be a good idea for water. Valle has water available nearby. You can buy water in Williams also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona