Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 02:02 AM

326 posts, read 466,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I don't have to the government already has.

Air quality in Fort Lauderdale, FL is 8 on a scale to 100 (higher is better). This is based on ozone alert days and number of pollutants in the air, as reported by the EPA.

Air quality in Baltimore, MD is 31 on a scale to 100 (higher is better). This is based on ozone alert days and number of pollutants in the air, as reported by the EPA.

If you go to State road 84 and Andrews Ave you will be getting the worst readings in the state due to the power plant, I-95 and the airport. Fort Lauderdale's air is almost unbreathable in places. Looks can be deceiving.

I'll bet that air quality in Chicago is probably -50 on a scale to 100. We have had more ozone action days here than I can even remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 04:18 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,879,341 times
This might not be that big of a deal to old school Floridians (or anyone in the south) but I can't get over how cheap--and easy to get--plants are here.
I'm talking about plants in garden centers/nurseries. Beautiful specimen ferns that would go for upwards of $30-40$ in Colorado are selling for ten bucks here. Impatiens and other flowers are jaw-droppingly inexpensive.
I had left all my houseplants back in Denver so am starting competely over, and it is heartening to see that it will not be taking too big of a chunk out of my pocketbook.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:41 AM

156 posts, read 708,663 times
My favorites have been rainbows, lightning storms (when sitting under my patio), and having the kids able to play outside any day they want!

Old 06-19-2007, 07:51 AM

5 posts, read 40,465 times
Default Baltimore air & water

I think Smash was comparing Baltimore to the West coast of Florida. I agree with Smash. During the summer, it is more pleasant on the Gulf Coast than in Baltimore area. Temperature is even some times less, and it is definitely less humid. Also, during the afternoon, you can generally count on getting a breeze from the Gulf.

The other thing, traffic conditions in the Baltimore/Washington area are unbelievable. Thank God I no longer have to commute between Annapolis and Washington as I used to do.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:53 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,088,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I don't have to the government already has.

Air quality in Fort Lauderdale, FL is 8 on a scale to 100 (higher is better). This is based on ozone alert days and number of pollutants in the air, as reported by the EPA.

Air quality in Baltimore, MD is 31 on a scale to 100 (higher is better). This is based on ozone alert days and number of pollutants in the air, as reported by the EPA.

If you go to State road 84 and Andrews Ave you will be getting the worst readings in the state due to the power plant, I-95 and the airport. Fort Lauderdale's air is almost unbreathable in places. Looks can be deceiving.

The problem is your premise that FTL and Miami are "most of Florida".

They aren't. I suspect the air quality in the middle of the Apalachicola National Forest is significantly better than Baltimore.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:11 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,157,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
The problem is your premise that FTL and Miami are "most of Florida".

They aren't. I suspect the air quality in the middle of the Apalachicola National Forest is significantly better than Baltimore.
Liberty county has some of the cleanest air in the country I am sure due to the forest. It is where we may have settled on for where to live. Crime is very low, land is plentiful and you are not that far from the beaches if you want or Tallahassee.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:32 AM
Yac

6,049 posts, read 7,689,468 times
Guys, the topic is "Florida greatest advantages" not "Air quality in florida sucks". Stick to it, please.
Yac.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:48 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,088,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Guys, the topic is "Florida greatest advantages" not "Air quality in florida sucks". Stick to it, please.
Yac.
Well then let me just say that in the part of Florida where I live, air quality does not suck and IS one of Florida's great advantages.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:13 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,087,323 times
What about the parks and sports facilities/events? Will this be a factor?

WWE events, basketball, baseball, golf, football, soccer, Nascar, etc....

Old 06-20-2007, 06:28 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,645,685 times
The people..............

People like Sunrico who always post positive information is an advantage for those of us who dream of living there someday soon.

Just crossing the border into Florida puts smiles on my entire family.

My 9 year old asked me once when heading back home from Florida to the snow, cold and ice, Daddy, why are we leaving here?

Thank you Sunrico, I am anxious for more positive input on this one.

I will add my advantages later tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida