Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2010, 01:50 PM

123 posts, read 359,172 times

Advertisements

I saw this program on Animal Planet last night about invasive species from other countries over running Florida. It was called Killer Aliens. They mainly talked about 4 problem invaders: Burmese pythons, wild hogs, Nile monitor lizards and the Gambian pouch rat from Africa. It talked about how people were getting some of these animals as pets and when they either got tired of them or they got too big to handle the owners would just release them. They said the Burmese python may well exceed 100,000 in population and is spreading like wildfire! They've even gotten into battles with gators and crocs in the glades. That's just crazy. Those weren't the only big snakes mentioned. The anaconda and the African rock python have been observed as well. I was so interested in this subject that after the show I decided to look on the internet about Florida's invasive species and was shocked!
Here is a list of non native mammals, birds, amphibians, fish and reptiles according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission:

Nonnative Birds
FWC - Nonnative Birds

Nonnative Mammals
FWC - Nonnative Mammals

Nonnative Reptiles
FWC - Nonnative Reptiles

Nonnative Amphibians
FWC - Nonnative Amphibians

Nonnative Fish
FWC - Nonnative - Freshwater Fishes

It's like Florida is turning into a jungle paradise or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 03:23 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,056 times
Yeah, I've seen those shows. My husband likes them. They are so sensationalized though, that I can't tell what the truth is. They are too over the top for me.

I read somewhere that the extremely cold winter we had killed off a whole bunch of the invasive species.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:50 PM

123 posts, read 359,172 times
Yeah I hear ya. The media does tend to blow things out of proportion. Yeah I heard the same thing about the cold weather killing off a lot of the snakes and stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida