U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 01:50 PM

191 posts, read 518,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Gulf Stream will carry it around SW Florida and will pull it right into Miami. The Gulf Stream is funny like that, in that way.

Actually, the gulf stream comes closest to the shore right off of Palm Beach. Out of the entire southeast, that is the closest the gulf stream will get to land is Palm Beach. Imagine that.... poor rich people might have their shores washed up with oil that a majority of them have probably made lots of money off of.

I live in palm beach county and i would hate to see that happen, but karma is a b&*^h. Hindsight is always 20/20 vision and people never learn until it is too late. Kind of like how you may be at an intersection that you notice is very dangerous, but they will not do anything there until a few people die in car accidents or get hit by cars. It is just the way the country works.

If this does happen and all of this crude oil makes its way here, south Florida will be hit very hard because there is not much more than tourism here. We all know jobs are hard to come by so this will be the nail in the coffin of this place WHEN the oil reaches here. It is not a matter of IF it will happen, but WHEN it will. Reality sucks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 04:33 AM

792 posts, read 2,014,545 times
As oil gushed, BP quickly hired lawyers, scientists and experts to fight lawsuits:

TALLAHASSEE In the immediate aftermath of the Deepwater Horizon disaster, BP publicly touted its expert oil cleanup response, but it quietly girded for a legal fight that could soon embroil hundreds of attorneys, span five states and last more than a decade.

As oil gushed, BP quickly hired lawyers, scientists and experts to fight lawsuits - St. Petersburg Times

Old 07-05-2010, 09:25 AM

214 posts, read 597,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
As oil gushed, BP quickly hired lawyers, scientists and experts to fight lawsuits:

TALLAHASSEE — In the immediate aftermath of the Deepwater Horizon disaster, BP publicly touted its expert oil cleanup response, but it quietly girded for a legal fight that could soon embroil hundreds of attorneys, span five states and last more than a decade.
Is that a surprise? Aside from the morality or immorality of it, BP is a publicly held company and has to answer to their major shareholders. When the major shareholders say, "Protect my investment", publicly held companies try to do just that. It's part of capitalism IMO.

I assume all of us carry liability insurance and would conceivably consult our attorneys if a kid took a nosedive on our sidewalk, no? I have 3 lawyers in my family and you wouldn't believe the insignificant nonsense people try to litigate over. (I am NOT making light of people litigating in this spill situation.)

Old 07-05-2010, 10:10 AM

792 posts, read 2,014,545 times
More bad news for BP as arsenic levels rise in seawater around the Gulf of Mexico:

BELEAGUERED energy giant BP was hit with further bad news this morning as it emerged dangerous arsenic levels have been found in seawater around the Gulf of Mexico.

British scientists warned that the oil spill is increasing the level of arsenic in the ocean, and could further add to the devastating impact on the already sensitive environment.

More bad news for BP as arsenic levels rise in seawater around the Gulf of Mexico | News.com.au

Old 07-05-2010, 03:25 PM

483 posts, read 455,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnThaGrind View Post
Actually, the gulf stream comes closest to the shore right off of Palm Beach. Out of the entire southeast, that is the closest the gulf stream will get to land is Palm Beach. Imagine that.... poor rich people might have their shores washed up with oil that a majority of them have probably made lots of money off of.

I live in palm beach county and i would hate to see that happen, but karma is a b&*^h. Hindsight is always 20/20 vision and people never learn until it is too late. Kind of like how you may be at an intersection that you notice is very dangerous, but they will not do anything there until a few people die in car accidents or get hit by cars. It is just the way the country works.

If this does happen and all of this crude oil makes its way here, south Florida will be hit very hard because there is not much more than tourism here. We all know jobs are hard to come by so this will be the nail in the coffin of this place WHEN the oil reaches here. It is not a matter of IF it will happen, but WHEN it will. Reality sucks...
I tend to agree. And property values will plummet a lot more than they already have. The last few years have been ugly for a lot of folks on the treasure coast. This has all the signs of making that look like a picnic.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:06 AM

43,858 posts, read 44,524,126 times
Quote:
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration meanwhile expanded the area closed to fishing in the Gulf beyond the current northwestern boundary off Louisiana, bringing to the closure to 210,258 square kilometres or 33.5 per cent of the Gulf's federal waters.[LEFT]
Read more: More bad news for BP as arsenic levels rise in seawater around the Gulf of Mexico | News.com.au
[/LEFT]
It really seems to me that most of Americans are totally missing the complete catastrophe the gulf states are facing. It isn't a political issue or an environmental issue.....it is a disaster that has the capacity of changing life as we know it and that particular change is not for the good of mankind.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:34 AM

188 posts, read 441,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
It really seems to me that most of Americans are totally missing the complete catastrophe the gulf states are facing. It isn't a political issue or an environmental issue.....it is a disaster that has the capacity of changing life as we know it and that particular change is not for the good of mankind.

GloryB- The lack of concern actually worries me. It's almost as if people are thinking "If it's not my state, beach, etc. then I don't have to worry..." It's going to change the gulf states without a doubt, but you're right, even after (if) the oil stops gushing we still have the effects of the oil and dispersants on so many different, indirect things, not just the immediate beaches, marshes, and wildlife. I do think though, in some cases what we see as apathy may instead be denial. The truth of this is indeed pretty hard to swallow.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:20 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,155,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne4t View Post
GloryB- The lack of concern actually worries me. It's almost as if people are thinking "If it's not my state, beach, etc. then I don't have to worry..." It's going to change the gulf states without a doubt, but you're right, even after (if) the oil stops gushing we still have the effects of the oil and dispersants on so many different, indirect things, not just the immediate beaches, marshes, and wildlife. I do think though, in some cases what we see as apathy may instead be denial. The truth of this is indeed pretty hard to swallow.
It is a natural and necessary emotion of the human species, it is how we survive on a daily basis. Because we have the emotion of empathy we need to be protected from what does not directly effect us. If we lived and died with every event in the world we could not function. How many people do you think are suffering or died in some unknown place unknown to us or maybe right down the street from you as I am writing this and you are reading this.

We live lives that are very small and personal and that is as it should be for your well being. If you have ever gone to a funeral and looked at the cars driving by on the road way. You can't help but think for maybe a second, "Why don't they care that my mother or friend had died, their lives just go on and I feel so bad". That is just the way it is. Life will go on after the oil spill and some will be hurt and some will even prosper as a direct result of others misfortune. Someday you will die and be forgotten, even by those who knew you best as their lives continue. It is how the world works.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:10 PM

188 posts, read 441,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
It is a natural and necessary emotion of the human species, it is how we survive on a daily basis. Because we have the emotion of empathy we need to be protected from what does not directly effect us. If we lived and died with every event in the world we could not function. How many people do you think are suffering or died in some unknown place unknown to us or maybe right down the street from you as I am writing this and you are reading this.

We live lives that are very small and personal and that is as it should be for your well being. If you have ever gone to a funeral and looked at the cars driving by on the road way. You can't help but think for maybe a second, "Why don't they care that my mother or friend had died, their lives just go on and I feel so bad". That is just the way it is. Life will go on after the oil spill and some will be hurt and some will even prosper as a direct result of others misfortune. Someday you will die and be forgotten, even by those who knew you best as their lives continue. It is how the world works.

Wow, that sounds like a cop-out to me.

My, and I think GloryB's point is that this is not just the gulf's problem and it's not going to go away when (if) the oil stops.

By the way, when I drive by funerals I DO wonder who died and feel bad for the people who lost a loved one. Even if just for a fleeting moment. That's what empathy is. It's a sad and scary thing when we ignore or bury our empathy.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:13 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,155,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne4t View Post
Wow, that sounds like a cop-out to me.

My, and I think GloryB's point is that this is not just the gulf's problem and it's not going to go away when (if) the oil stops.

By the way, when I drive by funerals I DO wonder who died and feel bad for the people who lost a loved one. Even if just for a fleeting moment. That's what empathy is. It's a sad and scary thing when we ignore or bury our empathy.
You may not wish to believe this about yourself but have you cried today for the people in Haiti? If you haven't you are just normal not an ogre. We don't choose to bury empathy, it just wares down and we move on. If it didn't we would need to be committed or would always be suicidal because life would overwhelm us. Other people do care they just can't wallow in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or