U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2010, 08:02 AM
 
2,143 posts, read 7,177,754 times
Reputation: 1138

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~|~ View Post
Lilybeans,

What is the realistic housing pricing for resale and possibly new, HOA fees and age requirements?
I have no idea. Call them up. They even let you stay there for a few days if you are interested. It's a pretty nice place.

If you went to college, I always compare it to college, without the classes.

One thing the Villages does not have is a cemetary.

My in laws live there.

There are hundreds of different clubs, free golf, lots of courses, plenty of shopping, and lots to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2010, 05:54 AM
 
Location: Central Fl
2,902 posts, read 10,894,240 times
Reputation: 2853
~I~,
You can find all of the info you want from their website The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Retirement Hometown
Also, they have a few other community forums, specific to the villages. The most popular is Talk of The Villages - The Villages, Florida

As stated earlier, they have a "lifestyle preview", where you can stay there for a few days, take the tours, etc.....

If golf cart transportation is a prerequisite, it is probably your only option. If not, there are many other nice communities in the area.....

The Villages is a one of a kind place. It is not for everybody. You either love it, or you don't.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 06:10 AM
 
1,468 posts, read 4,150,221 times
Reputation: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
~I~,
You can find all of the info you want from their website The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Retirement Hometown
Also, they have a few other community forums, specific to the villages. The most popular is Talk of The Villages - The Villages, Florida

As stated earlier, they have a "lifestyle preview", where you can stay there for a few days, take the tours, etc.....

If golf cart transportation is a prerequisite, it is probably your only option. If not, there are many other nice communities in the area.....

The Villages is a one of a kind place. It is not for everybody. You either love it, or you don't.

Frank
That's for sure. I would not live in one of those places if you gave the place to me and paid me to live there. Cliques, bigots, busybodies, and political hate rule the day. They will go out of their way to make your life miserable if they take a dislike to you and they don't really need a reason. They don't even know the meaning of "Live and let live".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 06:14 AM
 
Location: Sunny Florida
7,136 posts, read 10,964,951 times
Reputation: 9459
Another place you might want to check out is Sun City. They offer a lot of the amenities you are searching for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 10:53 AM
 
17,298 posts, read 25,611,061 times
Reputation: 8567
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
That's for sure. I would not live in one of those places if you gave the place to me and paid me to live there. Cliques, bigots, busybodies, and political hate rule the day. They will go out of their way to make your life miserable if they take a dislike to you and they don't really need a reason. They don't even know the meaning of "Live and let live".
Unfortunately, this is typical of a lot of "retirement" communities, not just the Villages.

I guess when you're biggest activity and worry for the day is when you will pick your prescription up at Walgreens, it leaves a lot of time for "busy bodyness," lol.

My secretary moved to Century Village in West Palm and stated it was the one thing she hated about living there --- everyone up in her business. We also have a lot of attorneys that work with HOAs and there are a LOT of personality conflicts in the retirment communities!

Still, for most I don't think it's a problem. 55+ communities are popular as ever, so there must be SOME attraction to the lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 02:33 PM
 
1,468 posts, read 4,150,221 times
Reputation: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Unfortunately, this is typical of a lot of "retirement" communities, not just the Villages.

I guess when you're biggest activity and worry for the day is when you will pick your prescription up at Walgreens, it leaves a lot of time for "busy bodyness," lol.

My secretary moved to Century Village in West Palm and stated it was the one thing she hated about living there --- everyone up in her business. We also have a lot of attorneys that work with HOAs and there are a LOT of personality conflicts in the retirment communities!

Still, for most I don't think it's a problem. 55+ communities are popular as ever, so there must be SOME attraction to the lifestyle.
I think a lot of it is a lack of an alternative. People get old and need to be where they feel safe. Unfortunately that used to be with family. A family took care of their own when the time came. Now they just wait around for someone to die so they can pick over the bones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 02:43 PM
 
Location: anywhere
1,730 posts, read 4,100,780 times
Reputation: 1848
Lol. I don't know about the old folks you all know but I can assure you that my Grandma and her friends in Sun City Center do anything but sit around waiting to pick up prescriptions or die. Heck, Grandma is 96 and almost totally blind and still has more of a social life than most young folks I know. She is out the door at 8:00 am and that is after having breakfast with her friends, and doesn't come back home until around 7:00 or later sometimes. She shops, plays cards, swims, yoga, crafts, goes to plays, beach, etc. I had to help her out after my Grandfather died and lived in SCC and those people wore me the heck out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 04:14 PM
~|~ ~|~ started this thread
 
29 posts, read 27,556 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
I think a lot of it is a lack of an alternative. People get old and need to be where they feel safe. Unfortunately that used to be with family. A family took care of their own when the time came. Now they just wait around for someone to die so they can pick over the bones.
Our wanting to live in a place like The Villages has nothing to do with what you are posting. What we are looking forward to in a place like this is all the activities and conveniences. We will be even more active than we already are which is very active. Having so many things available just makes it very enjoyable.

When we look at The Villages we see fun, excitement, beauty and enjoyment. Nothing wrong with that. We only live once, we might as well have fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
27,798 posts, read 26,060,649 times
Reputation: 14611
Kings Point at Sun City Center is a place worth investigating.

http://suncitycenter.org/index.html (broken link)


Kings Point | Sun City Center | Florida | Residential Family Community (http://www.kpscc.com/home.aspx - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Central Fl
2,902 posts, read 10,894,240 times
Reputation: 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~|~ View Post
Our wanting to live in a place like The Villages has nothing to do with what you are posting. What we are looking forward to in a place like this is all the activities and conveniences. We will be even more active than we already are which is very active. Having so many things available just makes it very enjoyable.

When we look at The Villages we see fun, excitement, beauty and enjoyment. Nothing wrong with that. We only live once, we might as well have fun.
Good for you!
You owe it to yourself to check out the area and see for yourself. We go up to The Villages every so often, and see folks that seem very happy and busy enjoying life. Buying a home in our 55+ community about 13 miles south of The Villages is just about the best thing I ever did.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top