U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:08 PM

69 posts, read 138,248 times
Default Florida's humidity?

Hi,

My aunt lives in Palm Beach County and says that when she goes on vacation she has to either leave her A/C on or have a friend come to turn it on each day for a bit or else mold will grow in the matter of days in her house. She has a brand new house and says it's just what has to be done in FL. She also keeps all her pastas, herbs, spices, etc.. in the fridge to keep them from going bad quickly. Is she just neurotic or is she accurate? I ask b/c I'm thinking of moving there and this sounds like an big inconvenience.

J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 09:39 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,255,556 times
Yes, you do need to keep the AC set somewhere in the 78-80F range to keep the systems in your house happy during the summer. But no, you don't have to keep dried pasta and such in the fridge becaue of the heat. However, fresh pasta, fresh herbs, and some spices do better in a fridge, root cellar, or other 60F or lower space regardless of outside temperature.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:12 PM

69 posts, read 138,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Yes, you do need to keep the AC set somewhere in the 78-80F range to keep the systems in your house happy during the summer. But no, you don't have to keep dried pasta and such in the fridge becaue of the heat. However, fresh pasta, fresh herbs, and some spices do better in a fridge, root cellar, or other 60F or lower space regardless of outside temperature.
Ok, thanks.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:50 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,759,031 times
I know my aunt also has us open teh blinds during the day to let the sunlight in. Something to do with black spots (mold?) appearing if no light is let in, due to the humidity.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:38 AM

3,230 posts, read 3,992,211 times
During warm periods in most areas you should put produce, breads, etc. in the fridge to keep them longer.

Never heard of doing it with pasta.

I'm currently about 875 miles from Miami and it's currently 87, 66% humidity, going up to 98 today.

Currently in Miami: 87, 70% humidity, going up to 90 today.

Bottom line, it's not just a FL problem. Summers outside of South Florida are just as bad, and many times worse.

The five day outlook here is today 98, tomorrow 102, 92 for Friday, 95 Saturday, 100 Sunday. And yes, the humidity stays in the upper 60% range during the day and hits into the 80% range at night and in the morning.

Don't worry about the FL humidity, it really isn't anything you won't find in other states.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:42 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,638,043 times
My townhome can get close to 90 if I leave the AC off for the day. As the temp rises, so does the humidity indoors since warm air can hold moisture and cold air cannot. The best thing in FL is to buy a dehumidifier, pay close attention to the humidity and temp. in your house. I have a hygrometer and a dehumidifier and it feels sooo much better inside. I can leave the temp higher also as long as its dry inside, it's very comfortable, wish I would have done so sooner.

Some FL tips I've found on my own:

1) make sure your vacuum filter is somewhat new, many people don't change their vacuum filter until it's way too full. A good filter can capture many types of airborne molds and stuff from the carpet.

2) change your AC filter once a month, get a high quality one.

3) keep the humidity in your home low 30% to 50% with a dehumidifier, so mold cannot grow, dustmites, etc. The AC does a decent job of bringing down the humidity, but the with the dehumidifier running it puts less stress on the AC unit to work more efficiently. You will be surprised how much water it collects, especially at night.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:04 PM

6,424 posts, read 12,744,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNC4 View Post
My aunt lives in Palm Beach County and says that when she goes on vacation she has to either leave her A/C on or have a friend come to turn it on each day for a bit or else mold will grow in the matter of days in her house. She has a brand new house and says it's just what has to be done in FL. She also keeps all her pastas, herbs, spices, etc.. in the fridge to keep them from going bad quickly. Is she just neurotic or is she accurate? I ask b/c I'm thinking of moving there and this sounds like an big inconvenience.
As a Native Floridian, I believe leaving the A/C on because of mold is a myth. She should be able to turn the a/c off while on vacation without a mold problem. If mold is growing because the a/c isn't on, then there is something wrong and needs to be fixed. We leave the a/c off while we are not at our second home in florida and have never had a mold problem. Your aunt should get one of the programable thermostats that she can set the a/c in such a way that it cools the house at night for a little while and then stays off during the day, if she is worried about mold. And then the day she gets back it can cool the house down, so when she gets home the house is cool.

As for the pastas, if it is fresh pasta yes those need to be put in the fridge, but dry pasta doesn't need to be in the fridge. It needs to be in sealed box/container or in a zip lock bag to keep ants out. As for the herbs and spices if they are fresh, yes they need to be in the fridge, but if they are dryed they are fine in a cabinet.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:04 PM

10,074 posts, read 11,012,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNC4 View Post
Hi,

J
We keep our thermostat at around 80 when we leave for an extended period of time. That takes most of the humidity out of the air.

I keep my dry pasta and spices in the pantry. I have not had any problem with them. Fresh pasta and spices need to be refrigerated whether you live in FL or not.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:50 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,543,314 times
My pastas stay in the pantry and they last forever as well as my spices and herbs which I keep in the cabinet. When we go away, we set the a/c to come on at 78. When they were building our home, they installed the cabinetry before the a/c and the doors warped in short time and had to be replaced. We have our neighbor watch (or should I say listen) to make sure the a/c keeps running. Storing food in an a/c'd house is no different than storing food in let's say New Hampshire.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:25 AM

2,810 posts, read 3,157,447 times
I keep bread,cereal,crackers in the fridge otherwise it gets soggy and damp. Not so much mold. Spices and other grains stay in the pantry. Fruit I enjoy cold plus I would think it could attract bugs if left out. Once you are here it won't be that big of deal. I do notice here even when I keep fruit such as melon in the fridge it goes bad quicker then up north. It seems more ripe in the store from the heat probably and on the way home I can smell it in the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida