Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 08:12 PM

376 posts, read 1,866,935 times

Advertisements

Check out each area. I live in Boca. East Boca has become more diverse for the better. You will find a lot of people from all parts of the world coming to this area. Many europeans, south americans. Boca is booming. the area just north of Mizner Park has many new restaurants, stores, condos. They are building loft style apartments in downtown Boca and this is attracting many younger yuppyish type people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 12:08 PM

423 posts, read 1,643,258 times
Boca wins hands down.. It is expen$ive but offers a lot. To control the costs, you can rent/buy in Delray or Boynton which are pretty decent as well as close to Boca.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:10 PM

929 posts, read 1,157,248 times
i was considering boca but i just talked to my friends up there who we've really never vented to before about our troubles here. she said theyre looking to invest in solar panels because FPL power is totally unreliable up there she said. theyre off palmetto road.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:12 PM

7 posts, read 26,752 times
I live in Hallandale Beach which is next to Hollywood, and it's a very cultural and beautiful city. Along with amazing achitecture and an amazing beach boardwalk, it's has a lot of nice places to live, or course safetyy depending in which parts. Overall it's a nice city. It's a busy city with a lot of festivals, and events occuring each month. The younger population is big therenand there is a great amount of singles area. If you're looking for something quieter and smaller, where I live in Hallandale Beach, is nice place, very safe and secure. Cost of houses is not too high, depending on what ya pick. I don't know much about West Palm Beach , but Boca is costly and very nice.

Hope that answers your question!
Kat

Old 06-20-2007, 02:05 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkumar3 View Post
Boca wins hands down.. It is expen$ive but offers a lot. To control the costs, you can rent/buy in Delray or Boynton which are pretty decent as well as close to Boca.
I would NOT reccomend Delray or Boynton Beach. Too much crime, it is acutally more dangerous then Hollywood, even though most of Boynton and Delray sure looks pretty!The only time I have ever really seen gang activity in my time here has been those MS-13 guys in Boynton Beach.Also, the safer parts of these communities tend to be full of retirees, NOT good for a younger single professional.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
i was considering boca but i just talked to my friends up there who we've really never vented to before about our troubles here. she said theyre looking to invest in solar panels because FPL power is totally unreliable up there she said. theyre off palmetto road.
Dude, if you are trying to escape rude people,which I know you are from previous posts, I would NOT suggest Boca for you. Also, if it is reliable power service you are seeking, move to Weston, their lines are underground . They were the only people in town with power during Wilma, but its lots of $$$$ and once again, you are going to see that pretentious attitude because both are "new money" type of communities.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:22 PM

i just find it odd because i never saw a new money/ old money mentality in LA.
if you had money, you acted just like any other regular person you could just afford to put more into your hobbies and vacations, etc.
i was in a aquarium club and youd do a tour of people's houses looking at their tanks. some people had 30 gallon tanks, some people had 400 gallon tanks.
everyone swapped tips and ideas on how to grow such-and-such coral, etc.
here
1. people dont want to drive anywhere
2. people are afraid of showing people their houses out of fear of break-ins.
3. people dont have hobbies for the most part.
4. if that existed here it would be all about people trying to show who was better than the other guy.

i tried to attend an aquarium meeting here. it was full of snobs. the same applies to the underwater photography meetings out here. in LA anyone could join and everyone was treated equally. some just had more expensive cameras than others.
i went over to a couple of aquarium hobbyists houses here. they invited me over to brag about their tanks. i wanted to buy some pieces and they said they only wanted to trade for something else. so you had to have something they wanted to get something else and it was like a status thing.
i will never be able relate to people like that because i see everyone as equals and thats exactly the way it should be.
its like people here are motivated to do things for the sake of bragging.
they even taught you in school that bragging was wrong and how to share in preschool. apparently this isnt something taught nationwide.

someone from here with that mindset would be very puzzled to how things operate over there because if they acted the same way people would ignore them, think theyre jerks and avoid them.
in hawaii if you tried that crap youd probably get beat up by a big hawaiian guy who'd call you a dumb haole.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
i just find it odd because i never saw a new money/ old money mentality in LA.
if you had money, you acted just like any other regular person you could just afford to put more into your hobbies and vacations, etc.
i was in a aquarium club and youd do a tour of people's houses looking at their tanks. some people had 30 gallon tanks, some people had 400 gallon tanks.
everyone swapped tips and ideas on how to grow such-and-such coral, etc.
here
1. people dont want to drive anywhere
2. people are afraid of showing people their houses out of fear of break-ins.
3. people dont have hobbies for the most part.
4. if that existed here it would be all about people trying to show who was better than the other guy.

i tried to attend an aquarium meeting here. it was full of snobs. the same applies to the underwater photography meetings out here. in LA anyone could join and everyone was treated equally. some just had more expensive cameras than others.
i went over to a couple of aquarium hobbyists houses here. they invited me over to brag about their tanks. i wanted to buy some pieces and they said they only wanted to trade for something else. so you had to have something they wanted to get something else and it was like a status thing.
i will never be able relate to people like that because i see everyone as equals and thats exactly the way it should be.
its like people here are motivated to do things for the sake of bragging.
they even taught you in school that bragging was wrong and how to share in preschool. apparently this isnt something taught nationwide.

someone from here with that mindset would be very puzzled to how things operate over there because if they acted the same way people would ignore them, think theyre jerks and avoid them.
in hawaii if you tried that crap youd probably get beat up by a big hawaiian guy who'd call you a dumb haole.
How about in the O.C? I actually have traveled a little bit around South OC/Irvine for business and the attitude reminds me much of Weston or any area like that. I know many people from L.A despise the O.C, but what is your opinion about that type of wealth in the South O.C? As someone from L.A, is the attitude different from being in L.A? I have mentioned never having been to L.A because I know O.C is something of a half way point between L.A and San Diego.

I only was there for 2 days, by the way.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 06-20-2007 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: only there for 2 days

Old 06-20-2007, 02:50 PM

17 posts, read 64,894 times
I can’t tell you all how much I appreciate your responses… My last question is if I land the position in the WPB area, should I try to find a place there OR north (Jupiter) or south (Boca) of there. I was in the WPB area last week, and it felt safe, but I did not venture into the outskirts that you spoke of.

The Jupiter area seemed like a good investment area with lots of potential to grow, but I'm not familiar with the lifestyle.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:58 PM

orange county,ca is a little more conservative than los angeles but even then my girlfriend was living with a monogamous gay couple in laguna hills for years before i met her and she moved in with me.

i havent been over to weston yet, i still need to check that place out. i know nothing about it.
alot of people in LA dont despise orange county although they may hate the TV show. people over there are pretty indifferent between san diego, san francisco, LA and orange county because it doesnt really feel that different between the various cities. people may be a little more hippie-ish up north and a little more surfer-ish in san diego or by the LA coastline but i never really even thought of the differences when i lived there. everyones trying to be an individual and theres so much variety that nothing surprises you.
ive talked to new yorkers who ive been able to relate with on aspects of that although it sounds even more developed in new york. the difference i see between personalities though is that a new yorker if they dont like you will be upfront about it where someone from california will be nice to your face but avoid you.
also whats nice about california in general is theres so many types of people that you can easily EASILY find friends. just go to any social gathering and youll pickup a few and there are all kinds of social gatherings for anything and everything.
i can go to a meeting about carnivorous plants and meet 35-45 people into it just in LA. theres even more in the SF bay area. i know of maybe 4 in south florida and maybe 10 in the whole state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida