U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 03:00 PM

2,930 posts, read 6,184,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaVF View Post
I知 a single Florida native (Miami) currently residing in St. Johns. Kids are grown and in college and I知 selling our home in the suburbs. Macular Degeneration runs in my family. My only surviving parent and older siblings are all blind. I致e seen firsthand how this disease steals your independence. I want to relocate to area where I can walk to restaurants, coffee shops, etc. It is extremely important to me to find a place to live where I will not have to depend solely on individuals or a vehicle to survive or have some form of a social life.
I was in Italy and France last year and loved the cities and villages. I just wish I could find something similar in Florida.
Thank you for any and all of your suggestions
I think it depends on your budget... Most walkable areas are close to the beach and quite expensive.

Nothing compares to Italy or France, maybe NYC or someday when phase 50 of the Sunrail is finished You could consider Miami Beach, Sunny Isles, Naples I don't know Sarasota well enough to recommend it. Naples in my opinion looks nicer and more vibrant than Sarasota but I think the crowd is older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 03:38 PM

15,112 posts, read 31,005,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Naples in my opinion looks nicer and more vibrant than Sarasota but I think the crowd is older.
Sarasota is a lot more vibrant, and Naples is way older than Sarasota (population).

Old 07-01-2010, 04:20 PM

6,415 posts, read 9,917,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaVF View Post
I知 a single Florida native (Miami) currently residing in St. Johns. Kids are grown and in college and I知 selling our home in the suburbs. Macular Degeneration runs in my family. My only surviving parent and older siblings are all blind. I致e seen firsthand how this disease steals your independence. I want to relocate to area where I can walk to restaurants, coffee shops, etc. It is extremely important to me to find a place to live where I will not have to depend solely on individuals or a vehicle to survive or have some form of a social life.
I was in Italy and France last year and loved the cities and villages. I just wish I could find something similar in Florida.
Thank you for any and all of your suggestions
The only thing I could think of at the top of my head is St. Petersburg.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 10,023 times
Thanks to all of you for your wonderful suggestions. I appreciate all your help!

Old 07-13-2010, 02:17 PM

240 posts, read 330,140 times
Coconut Grove, many towns along the Overseas highway and Key West if you like the sea side and you can't get lost theres only one main road.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
You should really think about heading back to Miami.

Besides having very walkable areas, you also have rail, air and bus transportation services.

Try looking at Coral Gables, South Miami, Brickell, or Downtown. All are along the Metrorail route and thus provide access to other areas (for example, if you live Downtown, not only do you have everything Downtown has to offer, but you can also hop the Metrorail down to Dadeland for big box retail, the mall, or South Miami also for shopping, restaurants, etc.) the same goes for getting off at Coral Gables. The Coral Gables Trolley is free and runs on weekdays. You can that that to the Miracle Mile. Should you need to get the the airport or hospital, Metrorail stops (or in the case of the airport, will stop once the connection is finished being built) both those places as well.

The other place I could think that is compact enough to where public transportation really isn't a huge concern is Key West, although it's much more isolated and more expensive.

Back in Miami, Miami Beach, and Surfside are also nice places to live, but you have no access to the Metro.

The South Florida area is very walkable, contrary to what people on here say. Check out Walkscore.com and plug in potential addresses. Having a form of mass transportation is also a major benefit because although walking is great, there are times when it's just not function, i.e.- you want to go to Best Buy or some place and it's 6 or 7 miles away.

Having two cases of macular degeneration in my family, I know it is a horrible disease. Good luck to you in the future, I hope all turns out well.
Thanks so much for your reference to Walkscore. It gave me lots of useful information.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:17 AM

3,849 posts, read 7,862,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryeb View Post
Thanks so much for your reference to Walkscore. It gave me lots of useful information.
You're welcome!

Old 12-11-2011, 03:22 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,108,741 times
What the OP is looking for does not exist in Florida.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:57 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,154,214 times
Key West is the first place that came to mind.
Miami Beach is another of course, not really a "village" but dense with everything you need in a few blocks. Same goes for Downtown Miami.
Downtown Coral Gables area too. Or Downtown South Miami area.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:17 PM

643 posts, read 1,289,716 times
My mind might have been clouded (pleasantly so) by a trip a few months earlier to Italy, but Sarasota seemed comparable with an area or two much like a piazza. Some decent places to get a fine meal, shop, conduct errands, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or