U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 08:37 AM

73 posts, read 119,852 times

Advertisements

what about the oil spill? are the people living around the area going to smell the gasses. i heard some things about it? and when the oil reaches..how long will the cleanup take?

also..is this area only busy in the summer? is it seasonal? i really want to go, but my husband is skeptical. i dont want to be stuck down south floida..i was there for 20 yrs..and in n. central fl for 2 yrs.

i want bch, city (not 2 big) nearby airport, dog bch, good economy of course, and things to do,close by shops and food stores. friendly people, nice weather...i miss winters. my type of work requires me to stay in florida. i have family in ga. not to far from the panhandle.

any thought on where on the pandle to go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 08:53 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,841,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshotof View Post
what about the oil spill? are the people living around the area going to smell the gasses. i heard some things about it? and when the oil reaches..how long will the cleanup take?

also..is this area only busy in the summer? is it seasonal? i really want to go, but my husband is skeptical. i dont want to be stuck down south floida..i was there for 20 yrs..and in n. central fl for 2 yrs.

i want bch, city (not 2 big) nearby airport, dog bch, good economy of course, and things to do,close by shops and food stores. friendly people, nice weather...i miss winters. my type of work requires me to stay in florida. i have family in ga. not to far from the panhandle.

any thought on where on the pandle to go?
You might get some perspective here>>>
Will the Oil Spill Impact on Panama City Beach?

I don't think anyone really knows what the future will bring for the FL Panhandle.

Last night's weather report indicated that TS Alex will probably push more oil toward LA and MS, AL but the direction of the winds may keep it away from FL. It's pretty much day by day at this point, imo.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:10 AM

7,682 posts, read 16,106,514 times
Oil spill really is day to day, and we're still getting a number of days with no oil in sight.

While Tyndall AFB plays a role in the local economy, the far largest chunk of Panama City's economy comes from tourism and being a regional retail hub for a good number of nearby rural counties. And yes, a lot of what goes on is still extremely seasonal despite the Chamber's hard work to bring more people to the area for fall and winter events.

Walton County to the west of there is more upscale with a lot more quality restaurant options. The beach areas are more of a string of small towns, but there really is a lot going on there for an area its size. Housing is expensive, though there are still deals to be had with current market conditions.

If you really do need small city, Destin/Ft. Walton Beach (Okaloosa County) is worth a look. More upscale than PCB, and a significantly better restaurant scene. The Air Force is a bigger player than tourism, and is responsible for a lot of white collar and middle class jobs in the area. (Though those jobs can be hard to get without personal networking or high tech skills) Okaloosa also has the highest median family incomes in the Panhandle. And the local airport (VPS) handles twice as many passengers every year as the Panama City airport does.

Last edited by beachmouse; 07-01-2010 at 09:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida