Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 06:19 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,627,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_k View Post
True, though New England only has two poisonous species, vs. six in Florida.
There are only 4 different species of poisonous snakes in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 06:23 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,164,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Tennessee for example, has hills and valley's and is more prone to flooding.. Florida is flat and doesn't have as many low lying areas.
Actually I think it totally depends on what part of Florida you are living in. A lot of Florida is marsh land. A lot of Florida depends on a canal system for drainage. We are only 12 feet above sea level where I live. A good rain and the streets start flooding. If your property backs up to a canal, a lake,a pond, etc. you do have flooding on your street and in your yard on a pretty regular basis. Does it get into your house-hopefully not. Most homes have fill dirt brought in and the homes are built higher than the streets if possible. Problem is if you were there first and another house or development builds higher than your property your lot may get the run off from the adjacent property. Most city systems cannot handle a 5" rain in a 3 hour time etc.
Central Florida has been sort of dry for a couple years in comparison to some times, so water table is lower. Rains are soaking into the soil etc. but that could change quickly if we get a few tropical storms that drop a lot of rain. Right now there are lake front properties in Central Florida that the docks they built for their boats are totally on dry land. A few years ago those same lakes were almost up to some of the houses and actually flooding some.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:08 AM

240 posts, read 385,358 times
Smile It's just great here!

You have to love it here, with the cotton mouths sun basking on the grass in the back yard on the shore of the borrow pit I live on (Why do they call it a barrow pit anyway? They're not going to bring the sand and rock back.) the confirmed deaths by gator attacks and many pets gobbled up. The rattlers and the copperheads lurking about in the weeds. The exotics that I won't bother to break down, dangerous and not so dangerous. Cocaine cowbys, Mexican cartel members, Jamaican possies and every other kind of shyster that wants to be where its warm. The swelltering endless summers with ninty percent humidity day after day after day, whats not to love about the place? The hurricanes that pass through on a regular interval just to give us time to fix everything and the travelers so they can make some easy money and head back to their little Appallachtion paradise. I just don't know why anyone would have a bad thing to say about this place.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:30 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,813,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post

FLMNH - Online Guide to Fla. Venomous Snakes

There are six poisonous types of snakes on Florida- cottonmouth, copperhead, eastern diamondback rattler, timber rattler, pygmy rattler, and coral snake.

That you can day trip to Disney from any part in the state. I'm a six hour drive one way to Orlando.

That politics down here are somehow wacky. The recount was a total fluke that everyone wants to forget about. Our state level politicians tend toward the bland (even if their skin tone is somewhat citrus-like) and the more colorful ones like Katherine Harris never really seem to gain traction with voters. (She had to seriously struggle to win a House seat that should have been a total Republican slam dunk)

That we really want to know what Charlie Crist's sexual orientation is. Because the snark, eye-rolling, and innuendo over the past five years is infinitely more fun that knowing the truth of it.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:45 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,885,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profiler View Post
The hurricanes that pass through on a regular interval just to give us time to fix everything and the travelers so they can make some easy money and head back to their little Appallachtion paradise.
It's Appalachian and yes, It is paradise. I miss the mountains.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:05 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,627,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_k View Post
True, though New England only has two poisonous species, vs. six in Florida.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
FLMNH - Online Guide to Fla. Venomous Snakes

There are six poisonous types of snakes on Florida- cottonmouth, copperhead, eastern diamondback rattler, timber rattler, pygmy rattler, and coral snake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I definitely typed too fast on that one.
Meant 4 genus of poisonous snakes in Florida.
I was counting the 3 rattlers together.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:27 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,765,701 times
Funny thing with all these poisonous snakes down here, I have seen 1 in 16 years. I saw a water moccasin(cottonmouth), once. Otherwise I see black racers all the time. In MA I saw moccasins all the time. And a couple copperheads. In western MA there are timber rattlers, but never saw a one.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:41 PM

240 posts, read 385,358 times
Exclamation Omg! An extra "l"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
It's Appalachian and yes, It is paradise. I miss the mountains.
No dinial that there theves dough huh?

Old 07-02-2010, 12:45 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,646,690 times
Old People - without investigating, I'm sure we have more people over 65 yrs old than any other state

I think Maine has more percentagewise.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:55 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,117,531 times
Watched 'States' on the History Channel. Florida was one of the states the spoke about during this episode. According to them Florida has more people over 65 living in the state than any other. Maybe it was per capita.... not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida