Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 09:27 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,290,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
In the small town category- Perry. Horribly racist place, massive amounts of poverty, and surrounded by swamps where it would be very easy for people to just disappear.

That entire stretch of US 19 from where you get off I-10 to about Chiefland is pretty freaky- lots of areas that used to be something back in the 30s or 50s, and were utterly abandoned when I-75 was completed and all the highway traffic moved eastward, including any number of abandoned but still somewhat intact old school motor lodges.
Once upon a time, the family drove up from Leesburg to Valparaiso - but instead of taking 75 to 10, cut through the middle along 27 Alt and 19/98.

I'll agree, that entire stretch from 10 to Chiefland was creepy. The absolute middle of nowhere, nothing around except for Perry - which seemed really backwater and isolated.

Coming back towards Orlando, decided to stay on the highway and no shortcuts through nothingness. Going that way seemed quicker to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 10:00 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,472,831 times
I'm more concerned about the people's comments of places they've just driven thru..without knowing anything about the area itself.

I'll comment on an area that I actally have knowledge of. The Parramore area of Orlando. 5xs as scary as Pine Hills. I go thru Pine Hills every day and haven't been murdered once.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:05 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,542,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsydaisy View Post
Good point.

Let's try to keep it on track. This is very important information for people new to Florida.
You saw probably a 3 block area that you though was bad, call it the ugliest, dirtiest and scariest part of Florida when you have probably seen all of 2 cities in Florida and say this is very important information?

That is a joke.

Please let me know the areas by the International Plaza and Raymond James Stadium that were so terrible because I have never seen this area.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:24 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,838,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
I go thru Pine Hills every day and haven't been murdered once.
LoL, darn it all, I thought you'd been murdered atleast 10x by now...

Old 07-04-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Please let me know the areas by the International Plaza and Raymond James Stadium that were so terrible because I have never seen this area.
I'd love to know that area too.. I lived in that area many years ago and have no idea what he's talking about...

Unless the poster saw the Mons Venus and made an assumption.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:27 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,542,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I'd love to know that area too.. I lived in that area many years ago and have no idea what he's talking about...

Unless the poster saw the Mons Venus and made an assumption.
Yep, probably doesn't like strip clubs so just thinks the whole area is terrible.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Yep, probably doesn't like strip clubs so just thinks the whole area is terrible.
If someone's going to pick on Tampa, They could atleast have said Suitcase City..

Old 07-04-2010, 10:43 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,219,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
If some people believves that Florida is ugly you all need to take a drive through some parts of West Virginia, Philly, Baltimore, St Louis, Memphis, and a few others.

If I had to name a town that is downright the worst Florida has then it would be Daytona Beach. Run down, dirty etc. the town needs to clean up their act as they are an embarrassment to other beautiful Florida towns.

On the flip side, Florida has probably the most beautiful cities and parts of any state I have traveled in and I have been in them all.

To the person who said West Pasco, post a name of a town or something because I cannot believe anyone would be scared in any parts of Pasco county.
There's definatly parts of West Pasco from Hudson down to Holiday that are pretty rough. I dont know if i'd call them scary but i don't think i'd want my parents or young kids walking around there.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:10 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,722,279 times
Quote:
You saw probably a 3 block area that you though was bad, call it the ugliest, dirtiest and scariest part of Florida when you have probably seen all of 2 cities in Florida and say this is very important information?

That is a joke.

She was probably talking about Drew Park. Its a small but pretty bad neighborhood. Nothing but auto repair shops and trashy low end strip clubs. Its right next to TIA, but luckly you don't have to go through it to get into the airport.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:43 PM

191 posts, read 599,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
If someone's going to pick on Tampa, They could atleast have said Suitcase City..

Yup, i used to live off of 15th st. and 138th ave in suitcase city. Absolutely horrible neighborhood. I am glad i left there as soon as i was able to.

I live in south Florida now and i have seen some very nasty neighborhoods in West Palm Beach...specifically the north tamarind ave. area. Also there are parts of lake worth that are nasty. Pahokee is a country ghetto, old and crumbling.

Opa Locka near Miami is one of the worst i have seen in this state. There are pockets of poverty in even the nicest of areas that look like something out of an adopt a child commercial on TV... But you go about 5 blocks away and there might be mansions. Only in the USA....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida