Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 04:44 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,283,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01

There are many more less than desireable areas to avoid like the plague. Crime is becoming prevalent and pervasive in many areas of our country. That being said the crime rate is going to be larger in warmer and more tropical areas due to many reasons. I am not going to indict Florida, but to ignore the fact that crime is an extremely critical problem in Florida would be foolish.

There are good aspects to living in Florida---but crime is a dangerous aspect to life down here. Exercise caution and use common sense------be vigilant and you should be okay.
The truth is, however, that statistically (and per capita) crime in Florida has been on a general downward trend over the past twenty years. Those that yearn for the "good old days" in Florida seem to not realize that Florida (and indeed, the US in total) was more violent back then. Take a look at City-Data's own statistics for certain cities over the past ten years:

WPB: Crime index (1999): 1222 --- 2009: 593
Ft. Lauderdale: (1999): 727 --- 2009: 559
Tampa: (1999): 1083 --- 2009: 478
Riviera Beach: (1999): 1224 --- 2009: 844.5

Or, for Florida as a whole:

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/..._Annual09.aspx

Of course, with population growth "total" crimes have gone up. That, along with the 24 hour news cycle, the internet and bombardment of "bleeding leads" means that we have more media coverage. This makes people think there is a never ending crime wave, and that such is unprecedented. However, much of it is "observer bias" (google the phenomena, its fascinating... explained why people were running around this year after the Haitian earthquake going, "why have there been so many earthquakes this year?!)

Not to say that many cities haven't experienced upticks over the past years, but places can change back and forth rather quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 05:27 PM

49 posts, read 143,620 times
The title of this should be "Where aren't the ugliest.....of FL". Super low cost of living (low taxes)makes for bad schools, bad roads and attracts thousands of "lower end" individuals that flock to warm climates and create slums. If you like slumming it, come on over. You get what you pay for. A few diamonds in the rough there are...but even they are being brought down with the rest.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:08 PM

149 posts, read 370,137 times
soon the Florida beaches will be the dirtiest and scariest, if they do not do something with the oil!

Old 07-12-2010, 09:52 PM

109 posts, read 438,317 times
AnnieA, I can imagine you had a few tense moments at that time. I do not feel too bad as at that time I was a new person to Fl., you should have known better!!. Glad you made it out ok but to be honest with you, I went to Downtown Minneapolis, Mn. to watch my son perform and got lost and can tell you the street I ended up on was no less "excotic" then Belle Glades. I guess it is a economic or cultural thing. I will agree with you on one point, I drive a Pick Up with 33" tires and a 11" inch lift kit and cannot even begin to match what southern Okeeechobe has to offer.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:14 AM

2 posts, read 7,050 times
You guys haven't seen Otter Creek ( 12 miles south of Chiefland).

Old 07-15-2010, 11:29 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,262,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRH777 View Post
You guys haven't seen Otter Creek ( 12 miles south of Chiefland).
I've been through there dozens of times. What's wrong with it?

Old 07-15-2010, 04:04 PM

23,771 posts, read 28,850,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsydaisy View Post
Where would you say are the scariest, dirtiest, ugliest parts of Florida and why do you feel that way?

Please keep in mind, this is a subjective question so it is YOUR OPINION.

That is why I am asking that you please give a reason WHY you feel the way you do about a particular area.
There is a "town" near Lake Buena Vista that is ruled by a Giant Rat who uses all sorts of mutated animals and humanoid creatures to control visitors to his "kingdom" that I find both frightening and in an odd way, curiously mesmerizing.

Last edited by Ghengis; 07-15-2010 at 04:29 PM..

Old 07-15-2010, 07:07 PM

76 posts, read 241,492 times
I relocated to Orlando from PA years ago and I am FINALLY moving out of here. Orlando is like another world...definately not in a good way!!! It is filthy, rude, expensive, smoggy, over rated, poor medical care, high insurance and taxes. The road conditions are very poor, it is littered and filthy here. The people are very rude and closed minded. They all think FL is the best when it is the worst place I have ever been! Road rage is out of control, even the police and state troopers are rude and unhelpful. I can't wait to get out of here!!!

Old 07-15-2010, 08:19 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,722,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweis View Post
Tampa area near Martin Luther King highway is the scariest place in Fl. Also S. Orange Blossom Trail is not an area to ride thru with your windows down. Live here and really hate almost all of Fl.
I go on MLK though Tampa all the time, its no where near the scariest part of Florida I have been.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:37 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,215,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8move8away8 View Post
I relocated to Orlando from PA years ago and I am FINALLY moving out of here. Orlando is like another world...definately not in a good way!!! It is filthy, rude, expensive, smoggy, over rated, poor medical care, high insurance and taxes. The road conditions are very poor, it is littered and filthy here. The people are very rude and closed minded. They all think FL is the best when it is the worst place I have ever been! Road rage is out of control, even the police and state troopers are rude and unhelpful. I can't wait to get out of here!!!
I'd take Orlando traffic over philly traffic any day of the week. And the worst parts of Philly make Orlando a cakewalk.

You're definitely right about the road rage though Philly doesn't even come close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida