U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2010, 12:29 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,188,231 times

Advertisements

MLK in Tampa scary? No way. It's just your average thoroughfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 05:14 AM

2 posts, read 6,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
I've been through there dozens of times. What's wrong with it?
You need to get off of US19 or SR24 and drive around in the town.
There are dwellings in this area that are run down and the septic systems are old 55 gal. drums installed 35-40 years ago. The people don't pick up after themselves or their children, dogs and cats sleep in the road and you must collect junk and store it in your yard or you can't live there. You need to live here to know the people and their mentality. SCARY & DIRTY.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,219 times
Anywhere in putnam county is bad.interlachen,palatka

Old 07-18-2010, 10:28 AM

292 posts, read 472,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino127 View Post
Parts of Key West ? Give me a break.
Yes, parts of Key West are very rundown and dirty. Especially along Duval Street and some of the streets off of Duval Street. Key West isn't the perfect tropical happy paradise that everyone makes it out to be. There are lots of alcoholics, homeless people, drug dealers, people are high and just basically messed up in Key West. If you don't believe me, then go there yourself.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:05 AM

191 posts, read 565,875 times
Anywhere there is a MLK it's bad.. Miami is the worst for sure...

Old 07-19-2010, 10:08 AM

346 posts, read 1,211,779 times
If anybody has the pleasure of driving starting down south on NW 27th Ave from the Palmetto Express Way in Miami and you'll see some of the worst areas in FL. It ends once you hit Coral Gables. I've also been scared before on Nebraska Ave near Ybor City at night.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:30 AM

209 posts, read 475,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk22 View Post
If anybody has the pleasure of driving starting down south on NW 27th Ave from the Palmetto Express Way in Miami and you'll see some of the worst areas in FL. It ends once you hit Coral Gables. I've also been scared before on Nebraska Ave near Ybor City at night.
Having a condo right near the university of Miami, I've driven that route many times. I know what you mean!
I still think the east coast of Florida is safer and prettier than the west coast though.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:57 PM

2,112 posts, read 5,270,508 times
Well I won't say where in FL I am from, but I am not only surprised I haven't heard much about it, I am happy. The place I am thinking of probably has a worse overall reputation for crime than anywhere I have heard mentioned yet, but imo undeserved. As far as I am concerned, this is a "competition" that I would not want to be part of (in as much as living in one of the areas, or being from one of the cities, etc). I will agree that the worst overall "ghettos" I have seen in FL are in NW Miami and West Palm Beach. A close second has not been mentioned, but would easily take the cake away from Pine Hills/Parramore and Suitcase City.

And some of the places around the Everglades are just as scary. They are like tiny towns trapped in time. Also, FWIW, the one and only time I have seen the KKK is outside of Panama City Beach (I am sure it meets in the Everglades, too). That was very scary because I had 3 Jews in the car, a half-black half white guy, a Hispanic guy, and an Indian girl. Ahhhhhh and we had to pull off the side of the 2 lane road to go around them on our way back up to Atl.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:44 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,363,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8move8away8 View Post
I relocated to Orlando from PA years ago and I am FINALLY moving out of here. Orlando is like another world...definately not in a good way!!! It is filthy, rude, expensive, smoggy, over rated, poor medical care, high insurance and taxes. The road conditions are very poor, it is littered and filthy here. The people are very rude and closed minded. They all think FL is the best when it is the worst place I have ever been! Road rage is out of control, even the police and state troopers are rude and unhelpful. I can't wait to get out of here!!!
Doesn't sound like the Orlando I live in... Orlando is one of the cleanest cities I have ever been to. The air in almost all of Florida is remarkably clean. You need to go to TX or Cali... I could see some of the other complaints, but coming from Philly your description is amazing to me.

My vote goes to Belle Glade. I have been in some very gritty areas of Tampa. I know where I try not to go in Orlando, and I have seem some very rundown areas of South Florida. Belle Glade wins as far as its appearance of the third world IMO.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:14 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,982,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk22 View Post
I know what you mean. The city really put a lot of money recently into the beautification of Nebraska Ave, but in the end, they were just polishing a turd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or