U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2006, 03:38 PM

13 posts, read 113,240 times

Advertisements

Miami is out... however, does anyone know if Lee or any of the counties surrounding Miami have pitbull leg or bans? I cannot find any info broken down that really spells it out. We are moving to FL and looking for an area that will not condemn our little bundle of love. Can anyone also suggest any areas for young, hip, couples to look into? We love the cosmopolitan feel of Miami but we are not looking for the bustling traffic.... YOU ARE THINKING WE WANT IT ALL... quite frankly yes, we are hoping YOU also did and can make some suggestions.

Thank you much!

Old 08-09-2006, 04:07 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,161,240 times
Try Charlotte County. Everybody has dogs and alot of them are pits!

Old 08-10-2006, 05:31 AM

15 posts, read 63,724 times
My only suggestion to you would be to look into homeowners insurance before moving. We just bought a house in North Port last week. We stated making the calls and my DH said that when they asked about our pets, they said it would be a NO if we had a pitbull.
I know in Cape Coral there must not have been a ban because our neighbor had several.
Good Luck with your search!

Old 08-10-2006, 07:18 AM

566 posts, read 1,871,674 times
Yeah..some insurance companies exclude certain dogs and for the ones that do accept dogs, they might even raise rates for certain breeds that they consider a risk.
Not that is matters since you are not looking for a home in Miami but for others who might - in Dade County, pitbulls are illegal - even a 50-50 mix. Unfortunately, people here in Miami used to breed these loving dogs for the wrong reasons. We had lots of bad experiences in the past that led to this ban.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:45 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,197,992 times
Broward County does not have a law banning pit bulls. I do find that ironic though since we have had as much "trouble" with them here as they have had in Miami-Dade. Personally, I blame the owners of the pits more than the dogs. Just like any other dog, if they would keep them in a fenced in yard or on a leash and train them, there would not be that many problems. But you do have the breeding problem that lulu mentioned. And yeah, insurance can be high as if someone is attacked by one, or any other pet, they will sue the homeowner.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:54 AM

I'm sure most of you will not believe what I'm about to say, but hey....this is Dade County anything is possible and this is a very true story.
My cousin was driving up on I95 about 4 yrs ago and saw somebody dump their pitbull mix right on the expressway!!!!!!! Needless to say, she parked on the side and picked him up, she has a home for him now. He's really a sweet family dog. I can't get over how people can be so cruel...luckily she didn't crash, cause any crashes & dog was unscathed....

Old 08-10-2006, 09:03 AM

286 posts, read 1,532,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
I'm sure most of you will not believe what I'm about to say, but hey....this is Dade County anything is possible and this is a very true story.
My cousin was driving up on I95 about 4 yrs ago and saw somebody dump their pitbull mix right on the expressway!!!!!!! Needless to say, she parked on the side and picked him up, she has a home for him now. He's really a sweet family dog. I can't get over how people can be so cruel...luckily she didn't crash, cause any crashes & dog was unscathed....
I have no problem believing this story lulu. People can be so mean. Thank goodness your cousin was caring enough to pick the dog up and find him a good home. Isn't it a shame that because of bad breeding and bad training by ignorant people, a loyal family dog like the Pit Bull has gotten such a bad reputation that is is banned in many communities? Does anybody remember Pete from Our Gang (The Little Rascals)? He was a Pit Bull.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:25 AM

Hey, now that you mention it...yeah!!!!!! Never realized it till now.

On the pitbull...well, luckily he's happy & fat.
That's one pooch that should have been named "Lucky''...for sure.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:09 AM

598 posts, read 2,035,926 times
oh and don't forget the RCA Victor dog... also a pit

lulu - so incredable how cruel people can be. I wish there were more angels like your cousin. She did the right thing. I have 3 pits, all rescues and love them dearly and I'm always shocked by the reactions of people at the grocery or pet store when they see all the monster-sized chew bones/toys we are buying and they ask "What kinda dog you have??" lmao EVERY time we say pit bull I get this look ! But if we say american staffishire terrier, it's "Oh awww...! They make great pets like any dog, if treated well and trained properly.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:18 PM

13 posts, read 113,240 times
Summergal you are too funny! Ours looks like a little mini pit and if people ask what he is... "a mix" they all pet him and want to love him up. But the second you say the "p" word-they fear him like he was death with paws.

And LULU-god bless your cousin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or