Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 09:11 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times

Advertisements

I was (sort of) kidding about the beer. I was in a hurry. Some more serious things you can do (in addition to the good advice given above).

If you have a gas grill it is good to make sure you have an extra tank of propane on hand during hurricane season.

Fill some plastic milk containers with water and freeze them. They will keep your freezer colder for longer, keeping your food good for longer.

Fill a bathtub with water before the storm. You can always boil it on the gas grill if you need to. You can also use it to flush your toilets.

Keep a battery operated tv around. You will want to watch coverage to get real information rather than rumors from neighbors.

Keep more cans of food in your house during hurricane season. Stocks run low right before a storm. If you stock up now when there is no storm you can just replenish what you have used. I buy lots of canned goods in the summer (stuff we like) and use it and replenish it. when hurricane season is over.

Buy large sizes of water. Go to BJs or Costco and get the 2.5 gallon sizes. Buy them now. If storm season passes uneventfully, you can always use them in the winter.

Lots of flashlights. One for each member of the family that can use one.

Paper plates, plastic silverware and cups. You may not be able to wash dishes after a storm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 09:32 AM

817 posts, read 2,251,026 times
You shouldn't have been kidding about the beer. It's a good idea to stock up...if the power goes out, it gets boring really quickly once the storm passes.

Most of these lists are good...some maybe over-done but that's probably better than underdone.

I might add that it helps to have a wireless web access device for your computer...something that gets a signal from a cell carrier...if you want to get on the net.

Also, board games and a deck of cards can help save your sanity once power goes out.

The best advice, honestly, is to go somewhere else if a bad storm is headed your way. We have relatives in South Florida and Gainesville, so if a bad storm ever headed right for Tampa, I'd just board up and head to one of those places. I've been through enough hurricanes that I know that it's not worth it to stay home.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:30 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Remember that your battery TV might not work if it doesn't have a digital receiver.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:00 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
You shouldn't have been kidding about the beer. It's a good idea to stock up...if the power goes out, it gets boring really quickly once the storm passes.

Most of these lists are good...some maybe over-done but that's probably better than underdone.

I might add that it helps to have a wireless web access device for your computer...something that gets a signal from a cell carrier...if you want to get on the net.

Also, board games and a deck of cards can help save your sanity once power goes out.

The best advice, honestly, is to go somewhere else if a bad storm is headed your way. We have relatives in South Florida and Gainesville, so if a bad storm ever headed right for Tampa, I'd just board up and head to one of those places. I've been through enough hurricanes that I know that it's not worth it to stay home.
But don't go too far....we went to TN for Francis. When we saw the reports on the Weather station with the reporter just down the road from where we lived we got more worried and started home sooner than we should have. Storm was still in the state and roads were bumper to bumper on wet roads. Radio was giving reports of tornado warnings and we had no idea what county we were in to know if we were driving in the area. They were just setting up the National guard at the exit on 95 when we came into town scared to death that our roof was gone and that we had lost everything( top floor condo) . It was easier staying a little farther inland for Jeanne even though we had the same fear since our windows were already blown in Francis and we only had plywood on them( actually only political signs that were lying all over the place cause there wasn't any plywood LOL). They blew out so more damage.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:01 AM

263 posts, read 889,796 times
Thanks for all the great responses! I'll have quite a list to work on.

And, it's interesting how the responses give a little peak into the culture of Florida. Sure we have tornados and blizzards in the midwest, but I've never had to fill a bathtub with water or help my neighbor with electricity. It's kind of cool that people come together like that. If not for the deaths and damage, it would be kind of like an adventure...

Old 07-09-2010, 11:35 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post

I don't know, chain saws and beer don't mix to well. Even after it passes it is a time when you need to be clear headed. When you see the figures of injuries and deaths from the storms, they almost all happen after the storm passed. Chain saw, accidents, electrocutions from downed wires and a host of stupid accidents where I would not be surprised if alcohol is not involved.

Last edited by mango23; 07-09-2010 at 11:56 AM..

Old 07-09-2010, 11:49 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
I don't know, chain saws and beer don't mix to well.
I promise NEVER to go near a chainsaw regardless of whether I have had a few beers.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:53 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggums View Post
Thanks for all the great responses! I'll have quite a list to work on.

And, it's interesting how the responses give a little peak into the culture of Florida. Sure we have tornados and blizzards in the midwest, but I've never had to fill a bathtub with water or help my neighbor with electricity. It's kind of cool that people come together like that. If not for the deaths and damage, it would be kind of like an adventure...
Not so much, people will be out minutes after the storm passes looking to victimize you. This is when you see the best in people as well as unfortunately the worst. I remember when I was in the bar business the roofers who came in my place would be sitting there cheering on an approaching storm like it was a sports team worried it may not hit.

You will be out cleaning your yard and a truck load of guys will pass like every hour trying to get you to pay them to help you, some very aggressive in their approach. I can see some old person being very intimidated by these guys and paying them to do pretty much nothing.

Storms are not a good time believe me as you come home to find your home broken into. I had a chain saw stolen right off my porch as I went into the back yard for just a few minutes to get something. I am sure in five minutes they were trying to sell it to someone on the next street. And forget about your generator. Leave your property and you will be lucky if it is still there when you get back. After Wilma people was even stealing the ready to eat meals (MRE's) that were being given away by some churches and they showed up on ebay.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:10 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Not so much, people will be out minutes after the storm passes looking to victimize you. This is when you see the best in people as well as unfortunately the worst. I remember when I was in the bar business the roofers who came in my place would be sitting there cheering on an approaching storm like it was a sports team worried it may not hit.

You will be out cleaning your yard and a truck load of guys will pass like every hour trying to get you to pay them to help you, some very aggressive in their approach. I can see some old person being very intimidated by these guys and paying them to do pretty much nothing.
Friends of mine, allowed these two guys to stay in their yard after hurricane Andrew as they were out of town "roofers" and need a place to stay. A few months after the hurricane my friends were watching Americas Most Wanted, and one or both I can't remember now, were on Americas Most Wanted. I didn't believe them at first, till their father said it, crazy though... You have to be very careful who you hire after a storm.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:34 PM

817 posts, read 2,251,026 times
Quote:
I don't know, chain saws and beer don't mix to well. Even after it passes it is a time when you need to be clear headed. When you see the figures of injuries and deaths from the storms, they almost all happen after the storm passed. Chain saw, accidents, electrocutions from downed wires and a host of stupid accidents where I would not be surprised if alcohol is not involved.
I would assume that anyone on this board would not get drunk and then operate a chain saw, but I will try to put warnings on future posts about such things.

Here is a warning to those of you who have never been through a hurricane...don't get drunk and then try to operate a chain saw, or do other things that might be dangerous.

There...you may now feel free to stock up on beer for your post-hurricane powerless days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida