Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 08:12 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Remember you cannot use oil lamps, candles, or anything you use a match to light during the storms. After the winds is when to use them.
Why is this? We used candles during storms without anything bad happening. I don't think I'd use an oil lamp because you are inside and they get hot and smelly, but candles weren't a problem. I'm just curious, because I haven't heard this before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 09:04 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
I would assume that anyone on this board would not get drunk and then operate a chain saw, but I will try to put warnings on future posts about such things.

Here is a warning to those of you who have never been through a hurricane...don't get drunk and then try to operate a chain saw, or do other things that might be dangerous.

There...you may now feel free to stock up on beer for your post-hurricane powerless days.
You don't have to warn people, they will do it anyway. They drink and drive beat their wives abuse they children. People are just not responsible. Why would they all of a sudden do the right thing? One guy last time we had a big storm was standing in his front yard watching the storm and was killed when a tree fell on him. Want to bet he probably had a beer in his hand. Warning people what not to do is pretty much a waste of time but still worth mentioning.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/25/national/25wilma.html

Old 07-09-2010, 09:11 PM

817 posts, read 2,251,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
You don't have to warn people, they will do it anyway. They drink and drive beat their wives abuse they children. People are just not responsible. Why would they all of a sudden do the right thing? One guy in plantation the last time we had a big storm was standing in his front yard watching the storm and was killed when a tree fell on him. Want to bet he probably had a beer in his hand. Warning people what not to do is pretty much a waste of time but still worth mentioning.
I was being facetious. Sometimes people take things a little too seriously. I suggested that it was a good idea to stock up on beer and one response I got was "that's unsafe, someone might operate a chain saw while drinking."

Well, yeah...someone might operate a chain saw while drinking. Some people wander out in the middle of hurricanes and get hit by falling trees. Some people go swimming alligator-infested lakes. Stupid is stupid. That doesn't mean that a RESPONSIBLE person can't get a stash of hurricane beer to share with their neighbor once the storm passes.

Can't we all just lighten up a little bit?

Old 07-10-2010, 07:34 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
http://culturemap.com/site_media/uploads/photos/2010-01-06/Lone_Star_beer_six_pack_bottles.263w_350h.jpg (broken link)

^^^^^
Hurricane preparedness

Old 07-10-2010, 08:35 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Why is this? We used candles during storms without anything bad happening. I don't think I'd use an oil lamp because you are inside and they get hot and smelly, but candles weren't a problem. I'm just curious, because I haven't heard this before.
I would use flashlights because things go bump in the night during the storms. Our plywood came off and winds came in windows. Then our plywood flew and hit our neighbors patio and took out their sliding glass door that wasn't covered. Other friends lost the side of their building(stripped off the stucco and tore out the window frames and the wind swirled throughout the whole condo)If your roof fails and the ceiling starts falling in on your head like it did on a lot of people during Andrew and to some here on central East Coast during Jeanne, you have to move fast and get to a safer spot in the house. The candles and oil lamps could catch your house on fire during the storm and there are no fire trucks out after 50 mph winds are in the area usually. Safer to use flashlights because they will keep you in light so you can see where you are going if wind does get in and blow out the candles, too.

So mostly just because having a fire of any type in your house when there is no way for firemen to get to it, is why I say no candles , oil lamps, etc till the storm has passed.

We might be over cautious, but it is our rule. We actually didn't use any candles or the oil lamp after Jeanne either. We used flashlights to get from room to room and sat in the dark on the patio most nights. We tended to go to bed earlier because there is absolutely nothing to do and were afraid we wouldn't wake up early enough to get a cold shower in the morning and to work on time. We didn't have phones, landline or cell after the storms and there wasn't a wind up clock to be found after the storm. LOL

Old 07-10-2010, 03:37 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post

http://culturemap.com/site_media/uploads/photos/2010-01-06/Lone_Star_beer_six_pack_bottles.263w_350h.jpg (broken link)

^^^^^
Hurricane preparedness
That looks unprepared to me, this is prepared.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:56 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
That looks unprepared to me, this is prepared.
Touché

Old 07-10-2010, 08:04 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I have used candles but I am a little paranoid about them. I always put them in the center of a casserole with about an inch of water in it.

The last hurricane we lost power for more then a week. I brought in my solar patio lights and they worked great. They would be pretty much out by the time the sun came up but they gave us plenty light so we could move about the house with no problem most all night. Then we just put them outside to recharge during the day.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:07 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
I have used candles but I am a little paranoid about them. I always put them in the center of a casserole with about an inch of water in it.

The last hurricane we lost power for more then a week. I brought in my solar patio lights and they worked great. They would be pretty much out by the time the sun came up but they gave us plenty light so we could move about the house with no problem most all night. Then we just put them outside to recharge during the day.
I certainly understand that - I treat candles with respect at all times, storms or not. I'd never leave them burning when I go to bed, etc. We always had flashlights and other types of lights too and used those to go between rooms but we would often use candles for ambient light in the room in which we were sitting.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:30 PM

55 posts, read 126,768 times
Seems everyone missed the point. The poster who said not to use candles, said not to use them during the storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida