Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 08:11 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Why two new threads on people from the south and tips?
it's the same person starting them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 08:42 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden79 View Post
Just wondering as a longtime service industry employee I've noticed that average tips hear in Destin are around 5%. Pretty big slap in the face for all of us struggling to make a living. I just don't understand why down here vs the midwest and southwest where tips average 15% they are so terrible at tipping. I think it has a lot to do with how the people in this area are trying as hard as they can to maintain an illusion of wealth, when they are really not. As a long time bartender i can tell you I ALWAYS tip 20% unless the service was awful and even then I'll tip a MINIMUM of 10%. Are southerners just jerks?
Have no idea what they tip in the pan handle, but here in Central Florida we Floridians tip at least 15% for just OK service and at least 20% for better service . What do the tourists from around the world tip ? Usually less than Floridians who know that waiters depend on their tips to augment the less than minimum wage they get. Some places automatically addan 18% tip to your bill and leave a spot for you to tip more if you choose.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:48 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
I know in europe and canada, it is sometimes customary to tip lower (10% or so).

Old 07-10-2010, 09:02 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
this is the first time I've heard about Florida being bad tippers! I usually tip 15% also but maybe it does have to do with the panhandle being a different culture than the rest of the state. If you want good tips move to the Orlando or south Florida areas. I know waiters who work on south beach who own their homes based on tips!

Old 07-10-2010, 09:25 AM

55 posts, read 126,725 times
I tip

20+% for outstanding service
15% ok service
5-10% poor service ( wrong food, long wait time, not checking back)
0.01 to $1.00 to waiters with attitude, condescending, sarcastic

maybe you need to work on your attitude. I woulg never tip 10% for aweful service. He'll no. I'm not stupid people like that need another profession if they can't deal with public

Old 07-10-2010, 10:15 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Not surprising to hear the best tippers are in SE Florida. For all that some here love to rip on the New York transplant set, their native culture places a big emphasis on providing tips to service employees.

We're Midwesterners transplanted to the Panhandle, and tip 20% or more. I think that sometimes servers write us off a little because we don't drink alcohol when we're eating out and that makes the ticket less than if we did. Which we find amusing because we tend to be a super-easy table compared to the tables that run a server ragged and then leave 10%.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:42 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,935 times
Generally, threads like this are almost trollish......you cannot say "All southerners", etc......

I try to tip well. Minimum doubling the tax, (Up here 8.75%) then upping it a good amount. For very good service, a smile and a friendly attitude, usually I tip much more.

Based on your other thread where you state you are so unhappy, my guess that shows through and the tips may reflect that. Folks with good people skills usually make good tips, but I also realize there are other factors.........

Frank

Old 07-10-2010, 11:53 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Generally, threads like this are almost trollish......you cannot say "All southerners", etc......

I try to tip well. Minimum doubling the tax, (Up here 8.75%) then upping it a good amount. For very good service, a smile and a friendly attitude, usually I tip much more.

Based on your other thread where you state you are so unhappy, my guess that shows through and the tips may reflect that. Folks with good people skills usually make good tips, but I also realize there are other factors.........

Frank
I agree with all of this^^^.

We tip very well wherever we go. Almost always at least 20%, sometimes more. And those servers and restaurant owners remember us and treat us like royalty when we return.

My dad made his living his whole life as a waiter and bartender and I know what hard work it was and the difficult people he had to deal with. We have been out with ignorant people before (relatives I am ashamed to say) who didn't think they needed to leave ANY tip. Needless to say, we paid their share. If people can't afford or don't want to leave a tip, they shouldn't be eating/drinking out in restaurants or bars!

Old 07-10-2010, 01:04 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times
The worst tipper I know is the son of one of the wealthiest families I know and he is from Chicago (they live in Naples now). He is a complete tightwad with money, at least spending it on other people, but he will indulge himself with presents everyday.

I think true southerners will tip well if the server is pleasant and conversational and does not give the impression that he or she is trying to flip the table. Southerners seem to want a more relaxed, conversational environment and everything is based off of relationships, whether short term (like at a restaurant) or long term.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:44 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
Destin is in the heart of the Redneck Riviera(Florida panhandle). That's means 90% of your vacationers/tippers are poor people from the southern states(Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, etc.).
Apparantly you've never been to Destin to witness all of those northern license plates, and many of the people that come from Atlanta are from somewhere else originally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida