Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 01:50 AM

9 posts, read 41,740 times

Advertisements

oh geez - after searching for over a year I've finally found a house that meets almost all of my priorities and for a decent price. But after doing the walk-through it's clear they have an uncontrolled iron problem.

I know there are multiple types (soluable, non-soluable, bacteria) and I haven't gotten any info yet from the homeowner to know the specifics.

has anyone implemented an iron filtration/treatment system that solved their problem? I can accept sticking with bottled water for drinking, but staining the clothes and plumbing is unaccpetable and the thought of a smelly morning shower is really scary.

what do you think? should I just walkaway to avoid an issue that's difficult to resolve and damaging/unpalatable if uncontrolled?

this bronx boy thinks he'll be happy on a bunch of wooded acres in rural florida - just have to sweat the details

thanks - peter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 06:44 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,788,532 times
I had an iron well and hated it.

I don't know of any way to completely eliminate the problem.

I drilled a sulphur well. Problem solved.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:15 AM

thanks RMD -i've heard some horror stories

Old 07-10-2010, 10:17 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
My inlaws have that issue with their well, and a reverse osmosis water system has done wonders to improve the quality of their water.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:27 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,934,575 times
I use three twenty inch filters linked together,first one 0 micron filter which I change monthly,second and third one are charcoalblock filters,change every three months.I do not filter outside faucets.
One hundred percent effective.Did have rust ring and iron taste,not anymore,have now used this system for over two years,can be found on ebay along with filters.With a little mechanical ability easy to install,big help is shut offs on either side filters and I built a shelter to house them.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:23 PM

thanks DanBev and beachmouse - I'll check em out!

Old 07-11-2010, 07:49 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
My inlaws have that issue with their well, and a reverse osmosis water system has done wonders to improve the quality of their water.
That's what we have and we still don't drink the water. We have to add a chlorine tablet just to keep it clear and not smelly even after it goes through the system.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:28 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
That's what we have and we still don't drink the water. We have to add a chlorine tablet just to keep it clear and not smelly even after it goes through the system.
How does this all effect showering and laundry? I don't really care about the drinking it I don't drink the water where I live now, I use a distilling system.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:48 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,168 times
About 10 years ago, I was contemplating the idea of building a house with a well that would have had high concentrations of iron in the water. I spoke to a few of the neighbors about their water quality, and they resoundingly affirmed that having a well from our shared "iron laden" water table was both an expensive and a time-consuming maintenance proposition. One showed his elaborate filtration system with a small room of holding tanks, pumps, filters, and chemicals. He explained that even with all of this added treatment, he never felt safe drinking the treated water, and that his wife complained that washing white clothing was risky. Some shared that there was a distinctive odor to the water, and all had another water source (water cooler, bottled water, etc.) for the water that was used for cooking or drinking.

I realize that much has probably changed during the past 10 years and scientific advancements have been made in water purification. I guess that might be an impetus to examine the costs more thoroughly.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:24 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,934,575 times
As I have posted above,my 0 micron 20 inch filter looks like the muddy Mississippi after one month,very simple and works 100 percent.Water taste fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida