Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 08:09 AM

29 posts, read 54,712 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of relocating to the Florida area. My job is one where I can live anywhere as long as I have access to an airport. I've checked out the Jacksonville area and have fallen in love with Durbin Crossing in St. Johns county. Some tell me that the Tampa area is better. Any thoughts? I want to build in a master planned community. Cost, crime, things to do, access to a good airport - all important to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 01:08 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,112,109 times
ha, hard question. They are both very similar cities. Tampa is bigger so it will have more flights out of its airport and more people/things to do (but not much imo). I love the character and the culture of Jax as well as the layout. I have a hometown bias, but I would choose Jax. However, since you are looking at suburbs, Durbin Crossing will be very similar to anything you would find in Pasco county north of Tampa. Jax and Tampa used to have COLs and housing costs exactly on par with each other, but since the RE bust, I don't know which one is cheaper. Tampa may be at this point because I think it was hit harder, but Jax is still growing faster so it could have been more overbuilt. I am sure they are still similar in price.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:03 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
In terms of economic recovery and who is positioned better, I would choose Jacksonville. It's also less crowded and is way overlooked in my opinion. You'll also find plenty of flight activity from JAX...you're not going to feel isolated. The previous post alluded to COL difference and I too agree JAX at this point may be a bit more expensive, but I think the benefits exceed the cost.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,500 times
i will be moving to jacksonville in the next two weeks, And know nothing about the city, or areas Would like to find an area to live, that might be centralized, looking for a wooded area, quiet, that is new, and where the crime rate is under control

Old 07-12-2010, 06:09 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloharkins View Post
i will be moving to jacksonville in the next two weeks, And know nothing about the city, or areas Would like to find an area to live, that might be centralized, looking for a wooded area, quiet, that is new, and where the crime rate is under control
If you're looking for an area/apartment complex that's quiet and safe, check out the apartment complexes around exit 335 (Baptist Medical Center South) off of I-95 south of the city... along Bartram Park Blvd you'll find a few new apartment communities which are close to the also-new Mandarin South Shopping Center... which has a Publix supermarket, as well as nice shops and restaurants.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:06 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,089 times
Jacksonville is the largest city in the state (population and area), but the Tampa Bay metro area is larger.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:22 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,516,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Jacksonville is the largest city in the state (population and area), but the Tampa Bay metro area is larger.
Jax includes any and everything in the city limits which makes it statistically large.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:24 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,516,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In terms of economic recovery and who is positioned better, I would choose Jacksonville. It's also less crowded and is way overlooked in my opinion. You'll also find plenty of flight activity from JAX...you're not going to feel isolated. The previous post alluded to COL difference and I too agree JAX at this point may be a bit more expensive, but I think the benefits exceed the cost.
I agree with this. To me the only downside to Jax is some of it pretty redneck. That being said it is a lot less populated and has a lot of nice areas. No where near the sprawl that Tampa has.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:02 PM

330 posts, read 1,084,474 times
I am interested in any other differences between Jax and Tampa? Housing, Jobs, entertainment?

Old 07-13-2010, 07:43 AM

29 posts, read 54,712 times
And how about the difference in airports -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida