Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 07:16 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,130 times

Advertisements

I am mainly looking for input on the Dallas area. I already love Florida but there's a slight chance we could end up in Texas sometime in near future. What I am interested in is the basic atmosphere, Are there trees or is it just big fields?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 08:52 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,661,654 times
I cannot speak for myself but a high school buddy and still good friend after college took a job in Tampa, was there up until a little more then 1 year ago when his job transfered to Dallas. He tells me he is miserable and has accepted a job for less money back in Tampa and preparing to sell his home in Dallas. He told me he hates Texas, the dry heat, the people, the food, the town and misses the Florida life.
His wife told him if he doesnt get her and the kids back to Florida she will go on her own. He also told me the Texas kids are about 1/2 a school year behind the same Flordia kids in school and it hurt his kids because they already covered everything in Florida and has to sit and wait until they got caught up.

He tells me it is not just different, it is extremely different in many ways.

And yes, knowing his wife, she is very serious, she loved her beach life thats for sure.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:22 PM

395 posts, read 1,540,284 times
Unfortunately I am a Florida native. I will admit that when we moved to Austin Texas back in 1998 I was a bit homesick. However all that changed when I had a chance to get acclimated and get used to it. In short, I fell completely in LOVE
with Austin Texas. I have been told that it is different from any other city in Texas and I believe it. Housing is MUCH more affordable in the suburbs of Austin than it is here. $150,000 will not get you much house here, but in the suburbs of Austin you can get probably a 2500 square foot home if that is your thing.

There is the Texas Hill Country which is not far from Austin. It is kind of a nature lovers city if you ask me. the bad thing is that for homeowners the property taxes are pretty high. That is the only thing keeping us from moving back when my husband gets approved for his disability income.

Right now I live in Marion County and do not like it much to be honest. I really do not like living in a state where I can only maybe qualify for a home through Habitat for Humanity.I think I would feel that way even if I lived close to the beach. Florida can have them. Give me a nice big house instead and I will be happy. When the husband gets his settlement we are gonna come SCREAMING out of Florida.

I honestly feel that Florida schools are second rate and I have become a big advocate of homeschooling. There are probably some counties that are better than Marion though.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:59 PM

184 posts, read 863,057 times
I am originally from NW Florida and still visit my family there every year. (God's country )
But I've lived in many different places since moving from Florida because my husband was military-now retired and I've always compared everywhere I've lived with Florida.
Earlier this year my husband accepted a job offer and so we moved to the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex. We've lived in another part of Texas before so I feel I can speak to your question pretty objectively. First, let me say that there is great and not so great about everywhere I've lived including Florida. The above poster stated that his friend "hates Texas, the dry heat, the people, the food, the town". Well Texas is a fun place to live and Dallas is big city all the way. There is so much to see and do here. I've found the people to be very friendly and pretty diverse in fact. As for the dry heat, I've lived in the desert amd this isn't desert like that was but it is dryer than the southeastern part of the U.S. And I'm enjoying the lower humidity especially when temps outside are 90 degrees
As for food, there is so much variety that the above comment made me laugh out loud. Texas has TexMex, Steaks, Barbeque, Upscale, local fare, hole-in-the-wall places and every chain resturant I can think of and the list goes on and on and on.
Don't get me wrong, I will ALWAYS be a Florida girl and I love all that Florida has to offer. However, I appreciate the things that make Texas unique and interesting and a fun place to live. As for the schools, just like Florida, it depends on where you live.
Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex has a professional football team, professional baseball team, theme park, lakes for boating and swimming, museums, great zoos, amazing shopping, lots and lots of golf courses, local sports opportunities for kids, Nascar Speedway, rodeos, and so much more. Also interesting to note that the cost of a new home is cheaper here than just about anywhere else in the U.S. Really it's a great place to live but so is Florida. I think it's important to give a fair and balanced opinion so
Two negatives I can tell you from my viewpoint. #1: It's an approximate 7-8 hour drive to the Gulf of Mexico (but i've lived a whole lot farther away than that from a good beach). #2: I miss all the tall trees from the southeast.
While some may hate Texas, I've had people tell me they would *never* live in Florida. Keep in mind that even parts of Florida is very, very different.
Hope this helps.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:59 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
I lived in Dallas for 12 years, followed by 1 year in Houston, now in Florida for 5 years. Much of Dallas was built on pasture and grazing land, so trees were long gone before Dallas started growing. Some areas do have mature trees (Highland Park comes to mind). The one thing about Dallas is it's important to find the community/area of the city that fits YOU. If you don't, you'll be miserable and hate the city from day one (I say this from sad experience). I don't know what part of Florida you're in right now, so I can't give you a more detailed comparison.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:00 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
Hey debntx, have you discovered The Blue Goose yet? Yum!

Old 06-21-2007, 11:22 PM

518 posts, read 2,225,536 times
I lived in Dallas about 20 years ago and liked it. Had the company I worked for not been failing, I probably would have stayed at least a few more years.
My memory is that the cost of living was much less compared even with the South Florida of the '80s; home prices were CHEAP (the area was overbuilt at that time and reeling economically from falling oil prices). All the big-city energy and amenities are there -- along with big-city problems (there was a high degree of racial tension in the city back then, but I don't know what the situation is now).
It's not the place to live if you like the beach or mountains, but I remember that Dallas had a few attractive parks and there are some big lakes nearby. And Hill Country isn't far away.
The other thing I remember was the political atmosphere -- VERY conservative. It will be a big change if you're living in Broward or Palm Beach counties; probably not a big change from the Panhandle or North Florida.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:51 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,130 times
Thanks to everyone. There's just so many parts of Texas that appeal to me MORE than Dallas. So, with Texas being so large we'd really have to live in that area if we ever want to drive over to see his friend. I think I'd rather live in Florida and just fly over to Texas occasionally.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:09 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
I have lived near Boston, near Dallas/Fort Worth and now near Orlando...for me personally I prefer Florida.

Growing up as a child I grew used to being near the ocean when we were in Massachusetts...I also grew used to things being green...in time I grew to dislike the cold though.

Its VERY dry in Texas compared to Florida, unless you water, your lawn will be brown most of the time. TO ME, the people of Texas are very friendly and wonderful. Dallas is a very cosmopolitan place with many advantages, one of them is how many HUGE companies are based there and the available jobs.

I couldn't live in Texas again though, but thats just me.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:18 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Lived about 40 miles north of Austin for about 5 years. We were military & the Army always goes to the lowest bidder, so our surroundings had much to be desired. Honestly, couldn't stand the place due to the relentess heat, lack of trees or foliage & traffic. But that was central TX & Austin is overcrowded & overrated in IMHO. Travelled to Dallas numerous times & there are some nice places there. It is huge & the state is huge w/ a lot of opportunties. Personally, I am a midwesterner who needs to have the four seasons & just that lifestyle. We are in Florida due to circumstances & will be leaving within the year to finally be back up north.

Texas, definitely, has more opportunties & things going for itself compared to Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida