U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 08:53 PM

9 posts, read 14,650 times

Advertisements

I miss my old home state for one big reason.... when we transferred here with my husband's company we made the decision to move away from our 4 older young adult children... who are now getting engaged/discussing starting families of their own. They are what I miss about our old home as they are still up there. We travel to see them... they travel to see us... and none of us feels we see each other enough. I do NOT miss the snow, ice, heat bills, panic on the icy roads, etc. I love the weather here... yes... I know it is hot and humid. I still love it after nearly 3 years here. I DO miss the higher pay I got as a teacher in the old state. I do NOT miss the high home costs there. We got a lot more home for the money here. I DO miss the better education system (yes... I am saying this as a teacher here). But I know Florida and my county are working on improvements in this area. Ultimately, if we move back to our old home state, it will be because our older children are there and we want to be present more for them in their lives. I want to be the grandmother who holds her grandchildren any time she wants to. But we are not currently planning a move back there. I wish they'd move here!!! I've lived in a lot of places and I can usually make it Home fairly easily. They have not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 08:14 AM

707 posts, read 1,291,279 times
I must say...when i posted this i was not paying for things myself as i was having help. But now that i pay for it on my own its much more expensive. I asked my mother what her cable bill was in Rochester she said 115.00 thats for 7 tvs, 2 dvrs and hd. Her electric bill for our 2000 sqf house is 60.00 a month (winter its 80.00) . Where as my 803sqf apartment is 130.00 in summer and 95.00 in winter. When I was on her car insurance it was 80.00 a month now by myself in florida it is 130.00 (mind you i have no tickets, and one accident which was his fault)

Old 08-13-2010, 08:47 AM

3,378 posts, read 7,869,549 times
I haven't been here long enough to miss home. With a family of 5, we're pretty busy all the time and have enough people I think to make it so home isn't missed too much. The thing I miss most about home is our friends and camp fires. Other than that..... enjoying it here and looking forward to getting settled in so we can so more Florida activities. Oh, and we're buying a boat this winter or spring..... whichever season has the best prices.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:01 AM

2,359 posts, read 4,479,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen4497 View Post
I miss my old home state for one big reason.... when we transferred here with my husband's company we made the decision to move away from our 4 older young adult children... who are now getting engaged/discussing starting families of their own. They are what I miss about our old home as they are still up there. We travel to see them... they travel to see us... and none of us feels we see each other enough. I do NOT miss the snow, ice, heat bills, panic on the icy roads, etc. I love the weather here... yes... I know it is hot and humid. I still love it after nearly 3 years here. I DO miss the higher pay I got as a teacher in the old state. I do NOT miss the high home costs there. We got a lot more home for the money here. I DO miss the better education system (yes... I am saying this as a teacher here). But I know Florida and my county are working on improvements in this area. Ultimately, if we move back to our old home state, it will be because our older children are there and we want to be present more for them in their lives. I want to be the grandmother who holds her grandchildren any time she wants to. But we are not currently planning a move back there. I wish they'd move here!!! I've lived in a lot of places and I can usually make it Home fairly easily. They have not.
I can really identify with the missing the children. It was ok for the first few years when they came down to visit and we made a few trips up there. But as they started to raise a family money got a little tighter and the visits came to a halt. I beleive that if i want to be a good grampa i will have to move back "home" to do it. I really have no problem with that. I would much rather be the Grampa in the cabin by the lake than the grampa down in Florida.I wouldn't expect my kids to move down here at their age. They'd never get ahead.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:54 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,891,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
I must say...when i posted this i was not paying for things myself as i was having help. But now that i pay for it on my own its much more expensive. I asked my mother what her cable bill was in Rochester she said 115.00 thats for 7 tvs, 2 dvrs and hd. Her electric bill for our 2000 sqf house is 60.00 a month (winter its 80.00) . Where as my 803sqf apartment is 130.00 in summer and 95.00 in winter. When I was on her car insurance it was 80.00 a month now by myself in florida it is 130.00 (mind you i have no tickets, and one accident which was his fault)
Did the bills go up when you started paying for them?

I understand that you may not have been paying for them but did the bills themselves go up?

Does she have electric heat up there or is there gas or oil heat? I have seen people on this forum talk about $300 a month just for heating.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:56 AM

707 posts, read 1,291,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Did the bills go up when you started paying for them?

I understand that you may not have been paying for them but did the bills themselves go up?

Does she have electric heat up there or is there gas or oil heat? I have seen people on this forum talk about $300 a month just for heating.

No, the bills did not go up (my fiancees parents were paying for half of them until they decided they just wanted to stop paying for him and talking to him) She has gas heat.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:08 AM

10,452 posts, read 10,596,155 times
Deleted - just realized this was about Tampa Bay.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:08 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,891,847 times
Quote:
No, the bills did not go up (my fiancees parents were paying for half of them until they decided they just wanted to stop paying for him and talking to him) She has gas heat.
So it is just more expensive to you but it is still cheaper down here like you said 3 weeks or so ago?

Gas heat can add a big expense so to say her electric is only $x amount is a bit decieving. If she is paying $1000-$1200 for gas over the year then that would add another $100 a month or so that you would not have down here.

$170 a month on average for gas and electric would be higher than my electric for a 2500 sq ft pool home down here.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:44 AM

2,763 posts, read 4,670,034 times
I'm from Nebraska, which is just as cold as rochester for the most part in winters. Granted, there's a little bit of price differential here, but I was paying 75 for electric and about 100-120 for (gas) heat in the winter.

So far, my first electric bill here was 100 dollars (for 20 days), so definitely cheaper down here on that aspect.

For clarification sake: house in Nebraska was 1600 sq feet (including basement) and house here is 2k sq feet.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:05 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,129,008 times
Quote:
You have to add the gas bill in there too. My gas bills in the winter up north were somewhere between 250 and 300/month.

And WOW, how much cable do people need? I pay $87/month for phone, internet AND cable and there is no way I could ever watch all those channels!

My suspicion, after reading many of your posts, is that you don't have experience paying bills at all and don't have a real reference point.

Also, if you are under 25, your insurance will be higher no matter where you live. My car insurance, for two cars, one with full coverage and the other just the basics is $79 a month. My dh has one ticket.

Shopping around would probably help you save some money in more than one area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or