U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:36 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,949,509 times

Advertisements

I miss being able to open my windows and have nice fresh, not AC, cool air. I miss come October looking foward to the changing leaves. I miss putting away the summer clothes and bedding and getting out the flannels, down, jeans, and sweaters. I miss the damp, woodsy smells with woodburning fireplaces. I miss all the Fall preparations and Fall activities.

There is no other seasons to prepare for, or look forward to. I just plain miss CHANGE. It's the same here all year round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 07:25 PM

2,726 posts, read 4,504,940 times
When I first moved here I did miss Texas and I was talking about going back almost everyday for about 3 years. My husband did not like Texas and I don't blame him, he doesn't have roots there. I love the outdoors, so does he, though not in the same way.

South Florida has grown on me but that is because I have made an extra effort to know more people. I know all of my neighbors. I am familiar with many people in my community simply by shopping at the same stores or walking on the same path or going to the same parks.

I could move some where else but it would not be back to Texas. I have traveled much more since leaving Texas and I think there are other places that are a better fit. I don't mind humidity or rural living. I am from a small town in South Texas after all. But if we stayed in South Florida for the rest of my life, I wouldn't mind one bit.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:06 PM

375 posts, read 839,345 times
I live in Miami for school and work but I will always be a Virginian. I do miss it sometimes, that's why I visit

Old 08-20-2010, 07:43 AM

3,554 posts, read 6,185,214 times
I look at myself as an adopted Floridian. I chose this state. I came down knowing this is where I wanted to live. I miss people I don't see as often as I would like to, but do not miss home because HOME is Florida. I immediately started traditions down here. Unfortunately my kids have never had an extended family member like aunt or cousin here for Christmas, a birthday party, a graduation, and know no one will be here for their weddings or my husband and my funeral when we die. It is just part of living away from family.

I go up North to visit my big family(over 100 in immediate family(sisters/brothers and nieces and nephews) who mostly live near the town I was raised every few years or so-unfortunately more often if there is a funeral. I vacation sometimes showing my own kids where I lived and played up there.

Working in schools and then in retail over the years I have met a lot of unhappy retirees who think that is what you should do when you quit working-move to Florida. I have never understood when you are 65 why you would want to move away from all your friends and families to a place where you know no one -especially if you are not out going and able to make friends easily. I hve seen many move here only to lose their spouse within a year or 2 and then they are alone. Many cannot handle it. If you do move here you have to get out and be active, make friends, and even make a Florida family. I moved here when I was 27. My neighbors became my adopted family. My husband and I lost our parents when we were 33 so our kids really never had grandparents up North. My sons have had 3 Florida grandparents who attended their games, their music concerts, their graduations, etc. You just have to find people to love here and Florida becomes home.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:04 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,262,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I miss being able to open my windows and have nice fresh, not AC, cool air. I miss come October looking foward to the changing leaves. I miss putting away the summer clothes and bedding and getting out the flannels, down, jeans, and sweaters. I miss the damp, woodsy smells with woodburning fireplaces. I miss all the Fall preparations and Fall activities.

There is no other seasons to prepare for, or look forward to. I just plain miss CHANGE. It's the same here all year round.
I grew up in FL, moved to Georgia for 4 years, and just moved back to FL. I do agree with you about FL being the same all year. I know I will miss the breathtaking fall leaves and just having a change of seasons. I guess that is one thing I will have to sacrifice for sure. However, when Feb rolls around and I am out on the bike trail enjoying the sunshine, it will be worth it. Of course my entire family is still down here, so that makea a huge difference. Home is where your people are!

Old 08-20-2010, 09:00 AM

2,359 posts, read 4,482,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
I grew up in FL, moved to Georgia for 4 years, and just moved back to FL. I do agree with you about FL being the same all year. I know I will miss the breathtaking fall leaves and just having a change of seasons. I guess that is one thing I will have to sacrifice for sure. However, when Feb rolls around and I am out on the bike trail enjoying the sunshine, it will be worth it. Of course my entire family is still down here, so that makea a huge difference. Home is where your people are!
You hit the nail on the head with that. Home really is where your people are.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:34 AM

2,996 posts, read 4,908,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
I moved here two years ago and I realize that everything is cheaper down here (except food) but I miss home. Any other transplats miss home?
The only thing i miss about the midwest are the change of colors on tree leaves . Other than that, THIS is my home.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:22 AM

3,554 posts, read 6,185,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
The only thing i miss about the midwest are the change of colors on tree leaves . Other than that, THIS is my home.
But everywhere except maybe South Florida we do have seasons. The leaves change color-maybe not at the same time but during their individual growth cycle. We do get sort of a fall season most years. It is not in October or November but usually in January or February and lasts only a few days/weeks. We do get spring green( my favorite color) for a couple days in March or April most years. You do get the influx of robins for 1 or 2 days a year. You all know we have summer and many years we get frost or a freeze as far South as Miami area and those days are our winters.
The difference is you just have to look a little harder for the seasons.

If you miss Christmas.....head to Disney for a day to see the decorations and get the spirit going. Once you are down here though, you reallyt can love Christmas on the beach and doing your shopping in your shorts and t's.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:53 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,995,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post

Tan - as much as you and I went back and forth on this. I have to agree, right now I am missing the smell of fall. With school around the corner, I miss the crisp mornings and nice afternoons. I have soon realized thate New York will always be home. This will just be the place I came to live. I don't hate it but I don't love it and I think Florida is like that - you either love it or hate it. I am doing neither right now - check back with me in 6 months and I'll tell you if I feel the same.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:21 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,518,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Tan - as much as you and I went back and forth on this. I have to agree, right now I am missing the smell of fall. With school around the corner, I miss the crisp mornings and nice afternoons. I have soon realized thate New York will always be home. This will just be the place I came to live. I don't hate it but I don't love it and I think Florida is like that - you either love it or hate it. I am doing neither right now - check back with me in 6 months and I'll tell you if I feel the same.
This is exactly how I feel... Exactly. I miss the smell of fall and the smell of a woodstove on a fall/winters night when you go outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or