Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida: taxes, insurance, cost of living, traffic, prozac.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 05:10 PM

975 posts, read 3,720,190 times

Advertisements

This is one of the best posts I've seen here in a long time...I think the same applies to NYC in a way--when I first moved here I guess I envisioned it as a super-exciting place that would provide non-stop stimulation, but running around getting wasted at bars and staying out all night eventually gets old--then you are left with the daily grind, struggling to make it. I do know a few people who are constantly going to broadway shows and other things after all these years, but a lot of others became homebodies, yet they still have to pay thru the nose to live here even though they're not taking advantage of things here anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
here's the deal....many, many people see florida as a dream. they envision moving to paradise with palm trees, tropical drinks in january and a beautiful care free lifestyle in shorts and flip flops. when most of these people get to florida to actually live they realize that their life is nothing like this and eventually get enraged and start to rip the state endlessly becasue it has not given them the lifestyle or paradise they dreamed of. come here with no outlandish expectations, find a good job and work hard and u can have a great life here, like anyplace else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 09:07 PM

518 posts, read 2,218,714 times
Quote:
here's the deal....many, many people see florida as a dream. they envision moving to paradise with palm trees, tropical drinks in january and a beautiful care free lifestyle in shorts and flip flops. when most of these people get to florida to actually live they realize that their life is nothing like this and eventually get enraged and start to rip the state endlessly becasue it has not given them the lifestyle or paradise they dreamed of. come here with no outlandish expectations, find a good job and work hard and u can have a great life here, like anyplace else.
I'll second the motion on this being an excellent post. It echoes something I've pointed out: Many people move to Florida expecting a picture-postcard experience. Instead they get ... life itself. That's why you must do your homework before moving here. Know that the summer heat starts in early April and doesn't end until Thanksgiving. If you're moving to an urban area, know that you'll encounter crime, blight, traffic, questionable schools, and, in the case of Miami-Dade and Broward, local governments that are wasteful and corrupt. Know that you'll pay high homeowners insurance premiums near the coast (though there was no way anyone could've foreseen the huge increases we were hit with). Know that the economy is a house of cards built on a shaky foundation of real estate and tourism and that many salaries are "paid in sunshine." If you do some due diligence, you might discover Florida's not for you -- or, you might decide you can still enjoy it here, warts and all.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:35 PM

yes, indeed...this does make me glad I've come to these forums, (although I still think some of what people say on here is exagerrated BS). The last thing I want to do is make a move while wearing rose-colored glasses. I'm making a trip down there in July so that I can experience the full blast of summer and see whether I can tolerate it (though I did live in Bangkok so that will help prepare me for what to expect)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
I'll second the motion on this being an excellent post. It echoes something I've pointed out: Many people move to Florida expecting a picture-postcard experience. Instead they get ... life itself. That's why you must do your homework before moving here. Know that the summer heat starts in early April and doesn't end until Thanksgiving. If you're moving to an urban area, know that you'll encounter crime, blight, traffic, questionable schools, and, in the case of Miami-Dade and Broward, local governments that are wasteful and corrupt. Know that you'll pay high homeowners insurance premiums near the coast (though there was no way anyone could've foreseen the huge increases we were hit with). Know that the economy is a house of cards built on a shaky foundation of real estate and tourism and that many salaries are "paid in sunshine." If you do some due diligence, you might discover Florida's not for you -- or, you might decide you can still enjoy it here, warts and all.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:51 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,223,828 times
Quote:
Hey, how is it up there in Tampa anyway compared to living down in South Florida? Someone I know just described it as nice and "different".

Old 06-24-2007, 12:09 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,562,690 times
I've decided if everyone who hates Florida were to leave the state, it would be a very nice state indeed ;-)

Seriously, I'm in Tampa and I like it. It's a nice mix of small town friendliness with big city conveniences (sort of). I've lived in the Panhandle, liked it too, but jobs were scarce and pay was even more scarce; and in Ft. Lauderdale (didn't like FLL/Miami area, to each their own). But that's one of the neat things about Florida - each area has its own personality. I have an opportunity to move to Phoenix or Albuquerque, and it's proving to be a tough decision, there are so many things here I like (and many things over there I like too).

Old 06-24-2007, 03:07 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,647,589 times
But to compare there are far more people who move to Fla and LOVE IT then hate it.
Personally I have not myself spoken to one single person who has moved to Fla and tell me to my face they made a mistake, each and every one and I talk to many, always asking questions, all tell me they had some adjustments to make but love it.
My personal feeling is those who hate Florida want a way to vent it, and forums allow them to do so. Which is fine, but I do not think they tell us the real reason they hated it. Sure they use the heat, jobs, crime etc, but allot of states have the same problems and even worse.
Those who know Florida well and love it defend it, because they are not in the minority of those who hate it.
You will see many who have moved away still post and try to convince others not to move there, and I have found it is for all the wrong reasons.
Sure there are some willing to help you with the bad things and are trying to be helpful letting those of us who want to move there be knowledable, but there are also those who have personal reasons they hated Florida but blame the state, the people or the changes for it.
Come to find out they moved and found pretty much the same problem where they moved to.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, I get slammed by allot of those haters because they do not like the fact that I do not live there and defend the state, its life, it culture, its history and its advantages over livining elsewhere.
What they do not know is I am in Florida allot, anywhere from 1 to 5 times per month on business and 4 weeks out of the year on vacation.
You can convince me of some of the bad, but you cannot convince me that its as bad as some haters make it out.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:00 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,187,132 times
i think ppl who move away still post here b/c they actually miss it. i am not sure whether they are actually trying to talk others into not moving here, or perhaps trying to convince themselves (by venting on this forum) that they made the right decision to move away, and perhaps arent sure if they made the right decision or not.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:11 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,946,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Hey, how is it up there in Tampa anyway compared to living down in South Florida? Someone I know just described it as nice and "different".

its so refreshing to be out of south florida and up here in the tampa bay area....people much, much friendlier, everyone speaks english and its way more laid back and low key. it lacks that in your face intensity and underlying hatred that south florida has. it is kinda southern, country and somewhat redneck in spots but im cool with that. so as of now its great to be up here in the bay area.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:32 AM

jsnfla:

I'm glad it worked out for you, but...weren't you the one saying that there are no good jobs in Tampa and asking how people survived there?

Quote:
its so refreshing to be out of south florida and up here in the tampa bay area....people much, much friendlier, everyone speaks english and its way more laid back and low key. it lacks that in your face intensity and underlying hatred that south florida has. it is kinda southern, country and somewhat redneck in spots but im cool with that. so as of now its great to be up here in the bay area.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:42 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,946,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
jsnfla:

I'm glad it worked out for you, but...weren't you the one saying that there are no good jobs in Tampa and asking how people survived there?
awhile back after a weekend visit and checking the want ads i did post asking how anyone made money here. its not manhattan, chicago, sf, LA, philly, boston, atlanta, DC or even dallas, denver or seattle....its tampa, fl so yeah jobs dont pay much at all here unless u have good experience in a good field and can find an opening somewhere. BUT it was the same way if not worse in south florida and the cost of living down there is just as high if not higher than all those big cities i just mentioned...which makes no sense and is slowly killing south florida. tampa has a pretty good livability so as far as florida goes its a decent place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida